Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Anyone visit Milford Sound (New Zealand) via helicopter?

I am heading to NZ in March and am trying to book up some activities. One activity we wanted to do was visit the Fiordlands by air. The excursion I wanted (Milford Sound Ultimate) isn't available in the helicopter I wanted (seats 3). The only option to do it is in a larger helicopter, which is quite a bit more expensive. The tour is:

Stroll on a deserted beach, soar amongst mountains, and dine at an alpine lake suspended above Fiordland. Learn of the age old glaciers and prehistoric rainforests in a habitat seldom frequented by man. This relaxed and interpretive expedition distils the essence of New Zealand's most dramatic scenery.

So, I'm thinking about doing a less extensive tour, but I don't want to miss out. To me, visiting the Fiordland is the highlight of our South Island stay. The other tour is:

View alpine lakes, rivers, forests, glacial valleys and ice capped mountains. Fly over the fiord, land on a remote west coast beach and an alpine glacier.

For those who have been, am I shorting myself by choosing the less extensive, and less expensive, trip?

TIA!

Re: Anyone visit Milford Sound (New Zealand) via helicopter?

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    Milford Sound looks very much like Alaska, without the commercialization.  Not much beach, and the mountains go straight up. (See LOTR - those mountain shots are from this area with CG added.)   I saw it from the cruise ship, and it was lovely.  The mountains rising up from the water are breathtaking.  I don't think the helicopter tour would be much better.
    DH went on a train trip from Christchurch over to the mountains, and he loved it!  Those are the prettiest photos in our scrapbook.  I highly recommend this.  DH is into geology.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options

We decided to do a air/land combo tour. We'll be flying into Milford, hiking the Milford track for 3 hours, then heading back up into air to view the entire sound, and landing on a glacier prior to heading back to the lodge! I'm super excited about it :)

We'll only be in Christchurch for 1 night and we'll be visiting with a friend there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards