Chit Chat

Playing the waiting game

So we've been engaged since Mid-September and have been taking our time making wedding plans. We've finally got our guest list, visited a few venues and more or less decided on one, we've received our cost estimate from said venue and we're on board... And now we have to wait until April or May to actually set a date since they only book a year out. I've been doing so much research lately that now I really don't know what to do with myself other than wait it out!

So far, fairly stress free, even with my huge blended family, yay!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Playing the waiting game

• drid said:
    So we've been engaged since Mid-September and have been taking our time making wedding plans. We've finally got our guest list, visited a few venues and more or less decided on one, we've received our cost estimate from said venue and we're on board... And now we have to wait until April or May to actually set a date since they only book a year out. I've been doing so much research lately that now I really don't know what to do with myself other than wait it out! So far, fairly stress free, even with my huge blended family, yay!
    Congrats!  

However, I find your venue's policy very frustrating.  Can they pencil you in?  What happens if multiple couples call 365 days in advance for the same day?  Lots of people start planning more than 12 months out, it seems silly to limit themselves to this timeframe.
  • It is super frustrating! If its during their busy season in the summer they book max 18 mths out. They put us on a list for which month we're looking at and then they call us on the 1st of that month to let us know what is available. And of course I can't book a photographer, DJ, etc without knowing the actual date to book them for...... Time to get another job to entertain myself and save up some dough!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That's a crappy way for that venue do things - they could be losing out on business as other people go elsewhere to venues that do book further in advance.  Do you know how many people are ahead of you for that month?
  • The coordinator said they're pretty slow that time of year, so I think we're one of the first couples. I should actually really ask her for sure though
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • JoanE2012 said:
    That's a crappy way for that venue do things - they could be losing out on business as other people go elsewhere to venues that do book further in advance.  Do you know how many people are ahead of you for that month?
    The club I work makes non-members wait to a year out.    They simply do not care if someone wants to pick a date more than a year out and they go somewhere else.    

In our case weddings are not significant part of the business (only 7-9 a year).  None allowed between June 15 and Aug 30.  

They limited the time frame so there is no interference with club plans.  Which are often planned out only a year out.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • drid said:
     And now we have to wait until April or May to actually set a date since they only book a year out. I've been doing so much research lately that now I really don't know what to do with myself other than wait it out! So far, fairly stress free, even with my huge blended family, yay!
    It will feel like a longer wait than it actually is. April will be here before you know it! :)
  • I've got a wait too!  Total we would be married for about 3 years (a little less) by the we're married haha, personally its driving me a little nuts. For different reasons we're putting what we can on a payment plan now (i.e. the venue, my dress when I find, probably the DJ) and saving everything else (BM stuff, invites, florist, cake, etc.) for closer to the year of. The waiting game is relatively stress free from the planning stress itself, but plenty stressful still in other areas!

The venue situation you described is kinda weird...  I do understand the point @lyndausvi was making, for that business that makes sense.  If that venue has a reason like that, sucky for us as brides as it may be, it kinda makes sense. :/ Are you sure that venue is "the one"?  One of the reasons we stopped looking for venues and chose our's is because of how flexible and willing to work with us they were!  The coordinator put the deposit on a payment plan for us, and removed the sales and service taxes!  We also have the entire space for the whole day (9am - 11pm) without paying per hour.
  • Glad you're off to a stress-free start, and I hope you are able to book the venue that you like.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Our venue was the same way! It was frustrating, but fortunately, we called them immediately when the time came, and we were able to book our date.  We'd already booked the church (our church is popular for weddings and fills up), so we were so anxious we wouldn't be able to book the same date!

Good luck, and don't worry, the time will fly!  

SaveSave
  • I've got a wait too!  Total we would be married for about 3 years (a little less) by the we're married haha, personally its driving me a little nuts. For different reasons we're putting what we can on a payment plan now (i.e. the venue, my dress when I find, probably the DJ) and saving everything else (BM stuff, invites, florist, cake, etc.) for closer to the year of. The waiting game is relatively stress free from the planning stress itself, but plenty stressful still in other areas!

The venue situation you described is kinda weird...  I do understand the point @lyndausvi was making, for that business that makes sense.  If that venue has a reason like that, sucky for us as brides as it may be, it kinda makes sense. :/ Are you sure that venue is "the one"?  One of the reasons we stopped looking for venues and chose our's is because of how flexible and willing to work with us they were!  The coordinator put the deposit on a payment plan for us, and removed the sales and service taxes!  We also have the entire space for the whole day (9am - 11pm) without paying per hour.
    Huh? Did you mean together for 3 years before you are married?
  • justsie said:

I've got a wait too!  Total we would be married for about 3 years (a little less) by the we're married haha, personally its driving me a little nuts. For different reasons we're putting what we can on a payment plan now (i.e. the venue, my dress when I find, probably the DJ) and saving everything else (BM stuff, invites, florist, cake, etc.) for closer to the year of. The waiting game is relatively stress free from the planning stress itself, but plenty stressful still in other areas!

Huh? Did you mean together for 3 years before you are married?

Sorry sorry lolz, my phone must be as excited as I am. XD I meant to write engaged for a total of 3 years lolz, not sure how that got changed to married!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards