Wedding Etiquette Forum

Sister in law troubles

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble with my future sister in law.

Challenge 1:
She has 3 kids under 6 who are not well behaved. The youngest one is having a birthday on our wedding day. We cannot change the date.  We have decided not to have children at our wedding, which is also taking place at my fiance and her childhood home. She has decided that this is a personal attack on her and we are trying to keep her from her children. She is in the wedding party and will have a reading during the ceremony. This challenge caused a bit of a meltdown between my fiance and I because it led to talk of changing the venue. She says if her children cannot attend the wedding, which is at their bed time, then she will skip the rehearsal and only come into town the day of the wedding. This is hurtful to my fiance but he will not talk with her about it. 

Challenge 2: 
We have 3 wedding colors, he picked one, I picked one and the other is more for the decor. She has decided she does not want to wear his color and will wear mine.  As of now I told her she has to wear his color, and I am bringing the wedding planner with me during her dress fitting to help deal with her.

I feel this is the one day in my entire life when I get to say how things go for me. I am trying my best not to create a life long enemy, but I feel like it's becoming a battle of wills.

Please help, how do I navigate this delicately without further alienating her?

Re: Sister in law troubles

• Hello everyone,

Challenge 1:
    She has 3 kids under 6 who are not well behaved. The youngest one is having a birthday on our wedding day. We cannot change the date.  We have decided not to have children at our wedding, which is also taking place at my fiance and her childhood home. She has decided that this is a personal attack on her and we are trying to keep her from her children. She is in the wedding party and will have a reading during the ceremony. This challenge caused a bit of a meltdown between my fiance and I because it led to talk of changing the venue. She says if her children cannot attend the wedding, which is at their bed time, then she will skip the rehearsal and only come into town the day of the wedding. This is hurtful to my fiance but he will not talk with her about it. 

Challenge 2: 
    We have 3 wedding colors, he picked one, I picked one and the other is more for the decor. She has decided she does not want to wear his color and will wear mine.  As of now I told her she has to wear his color, and I am bringing the wedding planner with me during her dress fitting to help deal with her.

I feel this is the one day in my entire life when I get to say how things go for me. I am trying my best not to create a life long enemy, but I feel like it's becoming a battle of wills.

If she is in the wedding party AND additionally is reading at the ceremony, then I agree that she should wear the agreed upon color.  Was she aware of, and amenable to the color choice originally?  Why does she now want to wear the other color?  In the end, does it really matter which she wears as long as it is one of the two color choices?

Why does anyone have to join her for her dress fitting?  Why would a wedding planner need to go along to fittings?  That sounds unnecessary and suffocating.

Missing a rehearsal dinner is not a big deal.  Send your FSIL a copy of her reading before the ceremony.  She can familiarize herself with it in the peace and comfort of her home.  Five minutes prior to the start of your ceremony is sufficient time to clue her in as to when in the ceremony she needs to read her piece.
  • I was uncomfortable having the bridal consultant or seamstress in the dressing room with me when trying on dresses (AND IT'S THEIR JOB) and you want to bring the wedding planner?  I'd be pissed if I were your FSIL.  I don't understand how the wedding planner will make your FSIL get the right color?  It's FSIL's money, no?  Bottom line is no one can tell FSIL how to spend her money.

It's not necessary for FSIL to attend the rehearsal.  She has children to think about and attend to.  Small human lives who depend on older humans for survival will trump your wedding, all the time. 

You have decided to not invite the children, which is perfectly acceptable etiquette-wise, but that doesn't mean there won't be consequences for that decision.  You said you and your FI had a meltdown over the children's invitation.  Does that mean your FI wanted his nieces and nephews attending the wedding?  I also find it very strange that you are having a wedding at the grandparents' home, but the grandchildren are not invited.  You should have picked a different venue to help alleviate most of the problems with a child free wedding.

Also, just because a wedding is at the bed time of children does not mean that the parents wouldn't deviate from their bed time schedule to attend the important event of their uncle's wedding.  At my wedding, my sister's and my brother's weddings, our nieces and nephews attended and stayed late into the evening.  They didn't stay until the end, but they were there for much of the 5 hour receptions.

• pegasuskatpegasuskat member
    First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited January 2016
    I'm always fully supportive of child free weddings, but I think its better to include immediate family as an exception.  It sounds like your FI wanted them there also.  I think the wedding planner going with you to a fitting is very odd. Yes, as the bride you should be able to have a dream wedding, but your FI is the other half, and its his day also.... Most couples clear a date with their families, I feel like you and your FI should have known it was a child's b-day, which is a big deal to most children.  This isn't just a friends kid, this is your immediate family. 
  • If your ceremony is at their bedtime and at their grandparents house, why can't you invite the kids and then they can comfortably go to bed inside when they're ready?  I bet this will ease a lot of stress for FSIL.

I'm assuming from your post FSIL is standing on the grooms side and prefers the color of your BM dresses to the color of his suits.  That's totally fine.  It'll still look cohesive, she'll be more comfortable and it's one less hurdle in your relationship with her (which will last as long as your marriage to her brother).
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    While you have every right to have a child-free wedding, any of your guests (including your SIL) has the right to decline to attend, either because they do not choose to leave their children at home, or because they can't find a sitter.

What I find weird, is that your wedding is at the family home, involving the family- who would watch your nieces/nephews?? You said they were all young, and it sounds like FSIL is coming from out of town. I can very much understand why she wouldn't want to leave her children behind.

You can choose to stick to your guns about this, but you are risking creating a rift between you and FSIL and having her step down completely. Choose wisely. Myself, I'd extend invitations to the children of immediate family (i.e. any nieces/nephews). 

As for your date, yes, you can technically pick any day you want, but you should ALWAYS clear the date with your VIPs (family, bridal party, nearest and dearest friends). Again, FSIL has every right to decline to attend because it is her child's birthday.

FSIL does not need to attend the rehearsal. 

As for the dress colour, I can see why you might be annoyed, but I'd let it go. It honestly does NOT matter. There are so many things about your wedding day that you'll try to micromanage because you think they are important details, but you won't notice most of them the day of or remember them after.... what you'll remember is the feelings and emotions you had that day, as well as the PEOPLE around you. 

• Hello everyone,

Challenge 1:

Challenge 2: 

Challenge One: get over yourself and invite her kids! Honestly, it's at her childhood home, and you really expect her to be away from a young child on that child's birthday? Of course she thinks you are being unreasonable.

Challenge Two: let her wear whatever color she wants. Grow up. This doesng matter. She isn't a bridesmaid, you don't get to decide.

Apologize to her for being unreasonable.
  • I'm guessing she also can't stay at her childhood home since you're having your event there. So basically, she's got to fly home, not bring her kids, miss one of their birthdays and not stay at the house she grew up in. Yup, that's totally reasonable <--- sarcasm 
    I'm sure the SIL loves the idea that a visit to see her own mother and father is now going to require a stay of multiple nights in a hotel.

I also wonder what kind of behavior issues we're talking about with the kids.

A friend of mine didn't invite her H's niece and nephews to their wedding.   They were NOT well behaved kids.   The SIL has an entitlement complex and she forced the kids into the church where they weren't even wearing shoes.    The kids didn't hear the word no from their mom.

But that's different from kids being kids.   My DD throws temper tantrums and DS will yell / cry since he lacks words.   But that's all part of a normal expectation for their age group.   I have to wonder if these are badly behaved kids or if this is an OP with a lack of understanding about them. 
  • Any chance you were one of those brides who had picked the wedding date 18 months in advance (nothing wrong with that)  and the child just happened to be born on that day, a year before? Even so, the wedding is at a family home (probably no issue with it being booked a weekend before/after) and at a year out vendors could probably still move/you could find other vendors.

I have never heard of someone doing a reading (unless it's also a BM/GM) being told what to wear/the color. Those doing readings at my wedding are wearing whatever they want, I'm not sure why it would make a difference what color their attire is? 

Any reason why the kids can't come and stay in the house (guessing the wedding is outdoors?) or upstairs with a baby sitter?

• While I'm normally supportive of adults-only weddings, the fact that you're doing this at a family home on one of the children's birthdays is leading me to side with your FSIL regarding her children.

Under the circumstances, I would not be concerned if your FSIL skips the rehearsal.  She can probably figure out where she needs to be and when by following the ceremony and if the officiant announces that it's time for her to do her reading.  

As to her children's behavior and bedtime, I'd just let that one be and allow them to attend, and if her children misbehave at the wedding, make clear that it's on her to deal with the situation at that time: "SIL, Johnny's bothering the other guests and we need you to put a stop to it."

Also, I'd let what color your FSIL wears go.  It just doesn't seem to me like a hill to die on.

• Just want to ditto PP's that I would not miss my young child's birthday for my brother's wedding. Birthdays are special for little kids- and for their parents- and I think you should have either decided you were okay with the kids coming, decided you were okay with your SIL and her partner not coming, or chosen a different date. 

The outfit color is really a minor issue compared to the bad blood you're creating over the birthday issue, but I say maybe if you are more willing to be reasonable about the former she will be more flexible about the latter.
  • banana468 said:

lyndausvi said:

I'm actually concerned about the kid here. I don't think kids have to be invited to weddings (I want mine child free), but it's kinda terrible to become an aunt by excluding a child from their parents & extended family partying at their grandparents' home on their birthday.

Why was this date chosen?

Let's not put all the blame on the aunt here.   I have to give a big ole "WTF" are you thinking here uncle?   

I get being disappointed, but hey your plans pretty much suck for her and her family.  Her compromise is to come in on the day off.   She still is going to the wedding, but is also taking care of her family's needs.  Seems VERY fair too me considering the situation YOU have put her in.

YES.   FFS, can we please stop blaming just the bride when the groom should be an equal participant in the fuckery? 

I was more addressing the OP than anything. Otherwise, I'd be interested in why the grandparents went along with all this, too. I wouldn't knowingly open up my home as a venue for the mistreatment of my family.
  • Now if I were OP then I would have not only invited the nieces/nephews, but then also had a cake and balloons at the RD for the birthday boy.  Yes, it is your wedding, but that doesn't mean that everything else just stops being important.

And both the OP and her FI are to blame in this.  I mean this person is the grooms sister for crying out loud.  Even if he didn't know the exact date of his nephews birthday I am sure he knows a close approximation (end of May or whatever) and probably should have talked to his sister before making a definite date for the wedding.

But I agree with Lynda.  You put her is a really shitty position and I think she is handling it pretty darn well.  She will be there for your wedding which is the most important part.
    I had a cousin who got married on one of his niece's 1st birthday and another niece's 4th birthday.  Not only were all his nieces and nephews in attendance, they had a birthday cake for each of the girls and we sang Happy Birthday to them at the wedding reception.  August 4th is a very busy day on my calendar.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards