Wedding Etiquette Forum

bridal party gifts

how many gifts should we normally give out at rehearsal dinner , i know my girls with get the necklace but should i give them something else, we are doing flasks for the 21+ guys, but what about 18 year old boys what is the normal gift for that age, and ring bearer whos 12
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: bridal party gifts

• You should shop for everyone as if it's their birthday or Christmas, not give them "standard" gifts.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Shop for your WP individually, like it is their birthday.  That doesn't mean you have to spend a lot of money, it just needs to be thoughtful and personalized.  Giving them something specifically meant to be worn for the wedding means they are being given a prop for pictures, not a real gift. 

• levioosa said:
    Shop for your WP individually, like it is their birthday.  That doesn't mean you have to spend a lot of money, it just needs to be thoughtful and personalized.  Giving them something specifically meant to be worn for the wedding means they are being given a prop for pictures, not a real gift. 
    This. I posted about this on a different discussion earlier today but for any other lurkers giving personal gifts really makes a big difference. 

I had only received jewelry or something to be worn at the wedding as a BM so I assumed that was what you do. Well I went ahead and bought all of my BMs cloaks to wear for the wedding. They were pretty expensive and custom made so no returning them. Then I came on TK and realized that I was being really rude and now had a very small budget to get them actual gifts. I made it work. For my friend who loves HP I got a snitch bracelet and an adult coloring book because we used to color at the bowling league we were in with our SOs (they were the ones who liked bowling not us). For my MOH I got her a card game, I think it was Never Have I Ever, because her house was always the house we'd go to to eat pizza and play games growing up. Those are two examples but anyways even on a low budget they were really shocked that these were normal gifts and one even said it was the best BM gift she'd gotten. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • levioosa said:
    Shop for your WP individually, like it is their birthday.  That doesn't mean you have to spend a lot of money, it just needs to be thoughtful and personalized.  Giving them something specifically meant to be worn for the wedding means they are being given a prop for pictures, not a real gift. 
    This. I posted about this on a different discussion earlier today but for any other lurkers giving personal gifts really makes a big difference. 

I had only received jewelry or something to be worn at the wedding as a BM so I assumed that was what you do. Well I went ahead and bought all of my BMs cloaks to wear for the wedding. They were pretty expensive and custom made so no returning them. Then I came on TK and realized that I was being really rude and now had a very small budget to get them actual gifts. I made it work. For my friend who loves HP I got a snitch bracelet and an adult coloring book because we used to color at the bowling league we were in with our SOs (they were the ones who liked bowling not us). For my MOH I got her a card game, I think it was Never Have I Ever, because her house was always the house we'd go to to eat pizza and play games growing up. Those are two examples but anyways even on a low budget they were really shocked that these were normal gifts and one even said it was the best BM gift she'd gotten. 
    I have given this advice to brides, made them see that "hey, isn't it better to get a gift where the giver actually put some thought into getting something that you, specifically, would like?" and they've said yes and then I heard later that they got "standard" gifts for their WP. Because coming up with actually personal gifts for these people was too much work and they were lazy. I am so much more pissed at those brides than at those who just never even thought to get something personal (because common sense sometimes escapes us all).

Don't rationalize that "all my girls will love" some standard gift. They're putting in a lot of effort to be in your wedding, so put in some effort to get them a gift just for them. Even if they all like nail polish, if they see that they all get nail polish they won't see it as a truly personal gift.
  • how many gifts should we normally give out at rehearsal dinner , i know my girls with get the necklace but should i give them something else, we are doing flasks for the 21+ guys, but what about 18 year old boys what is the normal gift for that age, and ring bearer whos 12

What kind of jewelry were the bridesmaids wearing at the last wedding you attended as a guest?

You don't know? That's my point. I agree with PPs.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I actually ended up getting my bridesmaids very similar "main" gifts, but that's because I saw something and realised it was so perfect for both of them (but for different reasons). I realised if I'd gotten if for one, I wouldn't be able to decide which of them to give it to. It's something that they could technically use at the wedding, which I realised after purchasing, but I'm going to make it very clear to them they don't have to.  

I'm going to supplement it with a few little things that are specific to them (e.g. a nice passport holder for one of them because travelling to my wedding is the first time she's left the country and she's really excited about finally having a passport, a ring holder for my recently engaged bridesmaid and pair of earrings she's been wanting but won't buy for herself). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards