Not Engaged Yet

Tuesday

1235»

Re: Tuesday

• Oh no @labro - what happened with your withholdings?  
  • @labro oh jeez that's awful :( we've been there, not to that degree but enough. When Matt started his job from college to salary {he's a lucky duck I tells ya ...} they didn't input taxes properly. Is there any time to balance that amount before filing? :\
  • @minskat30 I don't know! I think one of us is getting screwed on our federal withholding somehow since we're both filing as married and 0...but something is really off!

• @labro - I agree, something has to be off here.  I hope it is something in the calculation of the taxes (or your deductions maybe? did you remember them all?) and not in what they withheld...because FUCK that is a lot of money.  Hugs.  
  • @minskat30 Yeah...I don't know. We're going to consult with an accountant. I haven't officially filed anything yet. I think the problem is we've crossed a threshold and now the IRS thinks we're Scrooge McDuck's. If we can somehow get our AGI a little bit lower I think we MIGHT be able to reduce this....Maybe he knows if we can make some 401k deductions and count them for 2015 and get a corrected W-2. Or donate to charity. Can I create a charity in my name and then donate to it?

• @TwoDimes The difference is filing separately means you get A LOT more taken out of your paycheck for federal taxes. Most people don't need to file that way...usually you just need to deduct an additional flat amount with each paycheck if you're at the point that filing married and 0 isn't enough. I thought I checked the withholding calculator at the beginning of the year and we were good....but apparently it wasn't good enough. UGH!

• Had to actually work today...glad I came back here 4 pages later to learn about bully sticks!

@alpacina 3 months is amazing!

• @labro - Why can't there be some easy to understand tax manual? It's all so insane! I hope you guys are able to bring that amount down somehow.

Deeeeeefinitely not excited to figure ours out.

• @labro That sucks! I hope it's an error. Tax code is a pain, I'm glad I decided to do audit instead of tax accounting. Eff that noise. 

• @labro - I hope the accountant can help you figure this out.  I never took a tax class in law school.  In fact, I only know one tax lawyer who isn't insane.  I think anyone who studies the tax code must certainly lose (@twodimes - correct usage this time) their mind at some point.
  • @labro Yea, many people always assume there are tax benefits of getting married. Unless you're in the tax world, nobody really understands there's actually the marriage penalty once you make over a certain amount. It sounds like you do know about this and thought it was accounted for. Unfortunately, you can only do a 401k catch up contribution after year end if you are over 50 years old so that won't be an option for you. But who knows, hopefully you're missing a deduction, like state taxes. Good luck! I have always claimed 0 but then an additional $10 per week for both state and fed. I would rather go ahead and give the govt the loan of $500-1000 to ensure that I'll never owe.

• @jenna8984 Yeah...I dunno, I didn't figure the 401k thing was an option. My dad mentioned it but he's also old so his mind is definitely in the land of catch up contributions. I was hoping maybe we can count some charitable donations towards 2015. We're SO freaking borderline right now on this stupid AMT. I rechecked our deductions and we aren't missing anything and I don't work from home enough to deduct business expenses...although an advisor may say otherwise.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards