Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Help! Need to choose a bridesmaid dress that compliments my wedding dress!

I'm getting married outside on October 22nd in Chicago. I'm wondering what fabric could I go with for the bridesmaids dresses that will compliment my dress? Any suggestions?

Best Answers

Re: Help! Need to choose a bridesmaid dress that compliments my wedding dress!

• Options
    Oh and don't forget to discuss their budgets first.

• Options
    Age appropriate?!?!?!! Mid-late 20s does not qualify as older.

If you are worried about the cold, have an indoor plan for if it is cold. The extra 6 inches of fabric from knee to tea length isn't going to help.
  • Options
    I didn't realize tea length was hard to pull off so thank you. Disclaimer: I know they're not old but they're all married and have children and feel uncomfortable wearing a dress that cuts above the knee anymore. I was more so wondering what fabrics you all would suggest?
  • Options
    I didn't realize tea length was hard to pull off so thank you. Disclaimer: I know they're not old but they're all married and have children and feel uncomfortable wearing a dress that cuts above the knee anymore. I was more so wondering what fabrics you all would suggest?
    Then what length dresses do they typically wear?  I mean there is a big difference between a dress that hits at the knee and one that hits mid-upper thigh.

Who knew that once you were married and had kids showing off your knees was a no-no?

• Options
    Then what length dresses do they typically wear?  I mean there is a big difference between a dress that hits at the knee and one that hits mid-upper thigh.

Who knew that once you were married and had kids showing off your knees was a no-no?
    I should tell my sister. She's already committed some SERIOUS faux pas in her 4 months of motherhood.

• Options

Just as I'm being respectful of their budgets, I'm also trying to be respectful of what they're comfortable wearing. I'm not implying its a no-no everyone lol

I guess I'm looking for something at knee length or slightly below if possible because I really don't like floor length dresses. Thanks for suggesting chiffon!

• Options

Just as I'm being respectful of their budgets, I'm also trying to be respectful of what they're comfortable wearing. I'm not implying its a no-no everyone lol

I guess I'm looking for something at knee length or slightly below if possible because I really don't like floor length dresses. Thanks for suggesting chiffon!

I suggested knee length in my first post but it doesn't sound like these girls are okay with showing their knees.  And any length that hits between your ankle and right below your knee is a hard length to pull off.  Honestly, I think you need to get over your hatred of long dresses (I don't get how you hate long but are okay with tea length...I mean we are talking about a few inches difference), because that is the only length that will seem to work here.

• Options

I suggested knee length in my first post but it doesn't sound like these girls are okay with showing their knees.  And any length that hits between your ankle and right below your knee is a hard length to pull off.  Honestly, I think you need to get over your hatred of long dresses (I don't get how you hate long but are okay with tea length...I mean we are talking about a few inches difference), because that is the only length that will seem to work here.
    I was asking for help with fabrics, not length.
  • Options

labro said:

I should tell my sister. She's already committed some SERIOUS faux pas in her 4 months of motherhood.
    My question is, what length is okay if you are married but you don't have children?

I am wondering if this is some sort of religious belief or a community belief thing because I find it unusual that a group of women share the same uncomfortable feeling now that they are married with kids.

• Options
    OP, the only other thing you can do is tell them to buy any dress in X color and then let them decide what length they deem most acceptable.

• Options
    OP, the only other thing you can do is tell them to buy any dress in X color and then let them decide what length they deem most acceptable.

Again I wasn't asking for help with length. I can figure that out. I'm asking for help with fabric. I edited my question because this thread has only contained one helpful answer lol

• Options
    I'm sorry but tea length is a really, really hard length for many people to pull off.  Also, tea length isn't something that tends to provide a lot of choices since it isn't your typical length.  So I would go with either long or knee length.  I think a soft fabric like chiffon would be pretty with your dress.  I would probably find a designer that carries the color you are looking for and then tell your BMs to pick a dress in X length, in Y color, and in Z fabric.  This way they can chose a cut/style/neckline that they prefer but the overall look is very similar.
    Swazzle said:
    Tea length is really not flattering on most people. I would suggest going for long dresses if you're leaning away from short due to the weather. 

My dress was lace and I chose black for my BM dresses. That was the only thing I really cared about. 3 of my BMs chose satin and 1 chose chiffon. It all looked great together. 

And also, you should really just forego flowers and order these for your BMs in your wedding colors since they might have trouble walking down the aisle on their own due to their old age. 

labro said:
    @Knottie1441410660 I would seriously just tell them all to pick a dress in x color and at or around knee length. Chiffon usually flatters most body types. I get wanting to be accommodating for your friends but you really made them sound old and conservative based purely on the fact that they are mid-late 20s, married, and mothers. Having a kid and getting married don't always equal changing your personal style.
    You got multiple responses about fabric...........

• Options

Again I wasn't asking for help with length. I can figure that out. I'm asking for help with fabric. I edited my question because this thread has only contained one helpful answer lol

I wish I had quoted your original post because length was a major point in it. You had said something about tea length.  Then mentioned that your friends are against anything above their knee.  Then you mentioned you hated long. And you did ask about length hence why my first sentences in my first post revolved around length.

• Options
    I wish I had quoted your original post because length was a major point in it. You had said something about tea length.  Then mentioned that your friends are against anything above their knee.  Then you mentioned you hated long. And you did ask about length hence why my first sentences in my first post revolved around length.
    I was describing what I was looking for and asking for help with fabrics. Everyone got caught up giving me their opinion of what I wanted instead of helping me with fabrics which is what I was asking for. Oh well.
  • Options
    I was describing what I was looking for and asking for help with fabrics. Everyone got caught up giving me their opinion of what I wanted instead of helping me with fabrics which is what I was asking for. Oh well.
    But as PP pointed out you did get several suggestions regarding fabric.

And welcome to the world of public forums.  Giving an opinion about something is kind of the whole point.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards