Wedding Etiquette Forum

No Reception

Due to time constraints, we will be leaving the church immediately after the wedding to head to the airport and therefore are not planning on having a reception. Is that okay? What do we tell our guests? Should we have a reception even though we won't be there?

Re: No Reception

• not cool.   If you invite guests you need to have some sort of a reception.  And hour or 2 cake and punch reception is fine.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • No, it's not okay.  If you invite anyone to your wedding, you must host them afterward.  Either get married on another day, when you're not immediately going to the airport, or go to the airport on some other day.  But what you're planning to do is leave your guests stranded. No matter what you tell them about why you're not planning to host them, it just won't fly (no pun intended).
  • Cake and punch in the basement of a church or wherever you are getting married. 2 hours as someone said. Done.
  • Huh?  You're joking, right?  Why would you plan it this way?  This is absolutely rude and not acceptable.  Please rethink this.
  • GMCorbin said:
    Due to time constraints, we will be leaving the church immediately after the wedding to head to the airport and therefore are not planning on having a reception. Is that okay? What do we tell our guests? Should we have a reception even though we won't be there?
    Your little tag says you've been on here for 6 years, you're fucking kidding right?

Yes, you can have no reception, elope and don't have any guests otherwise you are rude beyond belief.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    GMCorbin said:
    Reschedule your wedding for an earlier time.  You must greet your guests and have at least a cake and punch reception.  This is not optional.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I would say at the very least you need to offer your guests some type of refreshment following the ceremony and spend an hour or two minimum with them. If you can't do this then maybe you need to plan things a little differently.
  • GMCorbin said:
    Your little tag says you've been on here for 6 years, you're fucking kidding right?

Yes, you can have no reception, elope and don't have any guests otherwise you are rude beyond belief.
    Not totally related but I just wanted to note that I signed up for the knot in 2009 I think to help plan my cousin's 2010 wedding but I didn't get engaged myself until 2015. Just saying that can happen.

oh yeah and... OP needs to reschedule. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GMCorbin said:

Not totally related but I just wanted to note that I signed up for the knot in 2009 I think to help plan my cousin's 2010 wedding but I didn't get engaged myself until 2015. Just saying that can happen.

oh yeah and... OP needs to reschedule. 

Hell, I'm divorced & I still come here!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards