Second Weddings

Divorvce papers?

Hello!

I have searched high and low and cannot find my divorce papers. From doing online research I keep reading differing things on whether or not you need to show divorce papers when getting your new marriage license. Anyone know for sure? I looked into how to get them, (I live in KY now but got divorced in NC) it says from NC vital records the record they send you is NOT a divorce decree just a certified copy of the divorce papers. Is that all I need? This is all so confusing!

Thanks,

Julie

Re: Divorvce papers?

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2016
    A divorce decree is when the court declare your former marriage legally ended.  A certified copy of the divorce records is something that you should have in your files at home, anyway.
    Kentucky is one of the easy states in which to get married.  You do not need your divorce papers.

State of Kentucky
    Application Process

• The fee for a Kentucky marriage license is $35.50. and is required at the time of application.

• Both applicants must be 18 years of age to be married in Kentucky without parental consent.

• Applicants must apply for the license together.

• Both must present an acceptable form of ID.

• There is no waiting period, blood test, or physical requirements.

• To get married in the state of Kentucky you must first apply for a marriage license at any in-state County Clerk’s office.

• The marriage license is valid for 30 days, including the date issued.

• The marriage license is valid anywhere in the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I needed my divorce decree to get my marriage license in Australia, but when I got divorced, the courts only sent me a copy, not a certified copy. CMGr's post was helpful in giving you the guidelines for KY, but I wanted to point out that getting a certified copy from the courts was a little time consuming, but worth having on hand. We needed Certified copies of all kinds of things and I recommend getting one even if it's to just sit in a filing cabinet.

• Hello!

I have searched high and low and cannot find my divorce papers. From doing online research I keep reading differing things on whether or not you need to show divorce papers when getting your new marriage license. Anyone know for sure? I looked into how to get them, (I live in KY now but got divorced in NC) it says from NC vital records the record they send you is NOT a divorce decree just a certified copy of the divorce papers. Is that all I need? This is all so confusing!

Thanks,

Julie

I think a divorce decree & divorce papers are the same thing... I live in NY, I don't know anything about how it is in KY... but those 2 terms are used pretty interchangeably here.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You should be able to order a certificate of divorce from Vital Statistics if you can't find your papers, but it sounds like KY doesn't require it. I would suggest ordering one anyway just to have in your files. (I ordered multiple copies the moment my divorce was finalized. But then, I also threw a divorce party for myself.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hello!

Thanks,

Julie

I think a divorce decree & divorce papers are the same thing... I live in NY, I don't know anything about how it is in KY... but those 2 terms are used pretty interchangeably here.

YES: Divorce decree = divorce papers!

• My hubby was in same boat, we needed copy of his divorce papers to get our marriage license. We went online to the county probate records for the county the divorce was filed to get the case number. Then he went down to the court house & went to probate court area. For us it's the same area where you get a marriage license, and paid a small fee to get a certified copy of his divorce papers. His divorce was in a different county then where we got our marriage license so it's not like they could just pull up the records when we got our marriage license. I'm glad we have it just in case something comes up down the road with his ex, and with her you never know, that shows the divorce and the division of assets & debts.
  • This post is from January and OP has not been on for a month.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards