Chit Chat
Options

Hiking shoes for Costa Rica?

Hi everyone!

I'm headed to Costa Rica (San Jose, Sarapiqui, Tortuguero, Arenal, Pacific Coast), in March and since there will be multiple hiking related excursions, I would like to get a new pair of hiking shoes (not boots), but really don't know what I should be looking for. Does any one have recommendations or suggestions they'd like to share?

Any other recommendations as to what I should take, apparel-wise?

Thank you!

Re: Hiking shoes for Costa Rica?

• Options
    I like my Soloman.   Mine are waterproof too.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I have a pair of Merrells that I love. They're waterproof and really comfortable.

• Options
    I do a lot of hiking and love my vasques. They are ankle high, so not sure if you mean you don't want ones like that, but if you're doing serious hiking, I do recommend something with ankle stability.
  • Options
    I have these and really like them.  I have had them for about five years now and they are worn out because I use them all the time.

http://www.rei.com/product/828400/merrell-moab-mid-waterproof-hiking-boots-womens
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for the recommendations!

@nerdwife I'm not sure any of it is "serious" hiking, like mountains and what not, just lots of "excursions", according to the itinerary. I've got bony ankles, and my boots tend to rub, even with socks, plus they're hot, so I'd like something that hits below. I'll google that brand though!

ETA: Apparently I like to hit post before finishing my sentences!
  • Options

I just ordered Merrell Siren Sport 2s for my trip to New Zealand in March. Wanted plenty of time to break them in before we go. I have used Merrell running and walking shoes in the past, so I thought these might suit me best. We'll primarily be doing day hiking, no longer than 6 hours per day. The terrain is mixed.

We're also going to get hiking pants and perhaps shirts and new backpacks.

• Options
    I went hiking in Utah at Bryce Canyon and then both rims of the grand canyon plus some side hiking in smaller parks and used Merrell's women's Moab Ventilator Hiking Shoe. They're similar to the Merrell's above but hit below the ankle bc I hate having my ankle covered. I LOVE them and use them whenever I'm hiking anywhere, even in Thailand hiking through forests up to temples.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    sunflower0592sunflower0592 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2016
    I would bring clothing for a variety of weather conditions. We went to Costa Rica last January and went to various parts of the country. We spent our first night in Alajuela, where the temps were normal- 70-80* F. We spent 3 or 4 days in Monteverde, in the cloud forest- bring a rain jacket! You'll definitely need it. They get showers in the afternoon regularly. I brought a light fleece for the nights there and that was fine, it got down in the 50s or 60s maybe at night. The days were fine, 70s or so. We spent the rest of our trip on the Pacific coast near Quepos and it was very warm there- beach/summer wear was fine day and night. 

ETA- Have an amazing trip! We had such a great time there, the people were lovely and it's where we got engaged so Costa Rica will always have a special place in my heart :)
  • Options

I also used the Merrill Moab to hike Machu Picchu and I love them! You should be wearing thick wool socks that will prevent from any ankle rubbing.

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

I also used the Merrill Moab to hike Machu Picchu and I love them! You should be wearing thick wool socks that will prevent from any ankle rubbing.

This. You can also wear liner socks under your hiking socks to prevent blisters (which I do on all hikes, including summer ones).

Also, I've never been there, but if there's potential for rain as PP said, make sure you bring a water proof jacket and, if you're carrying a pack, a rain cover for it. Waterproof pants would also be ideal. Nothing ruins a hike quite like soaking through.

Sounds awesome though, so enjoy!
  • Options
    As a footcare professional, I agree with the recommendations of Merrell and Solomon. Keen is another great brand, but it will all depend on your foot type. I can give more detailed recommendations if you like :)
  • Options
    I ditto all the Merrill recommendations. I bought a pair for walking on Mt. Etna in Sicily. I wear Merrill a lot! Have a great time!
  • Options
    I love my Merrells. They fit perfectly!

H bought new boots last night. He tried Keen and Merrell. The Merrells were the best fit. It does really depend on your foot!

• Options

In these situations I like to head to the experts.  Try stopping by an REI.  These people generally love their jobs and their life is focused on the right gear for the right spot.  They helped me find the perfect boots and shoes for several trips from snow to sun.  Have fun.

• Options
    I've had the same Keen hiking shoes for about 13 years now, and they're still just as awesome and just as waterproof as the day I got them. I've hiked through the West Highland Way in Scotland and the Canadian Rockies with them. I guess they're kind of like this: http://www.shoeme.ca/products/keen-koven-magnet-cerise-1011280?size=9.5&gclid=CLKFsZbk18oCFQ6QaQodEHIOcg

only the 2002 version of those.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards