Hawaii
Options

Do We Need a Permit for Backyard Wedding?

We're planning a relatively low key 50-75ish person wedding for late July 2016 at a family friend's backyard in Maui.  Do we need some sort of permit from the State or County?  I have read things online about things such as a tented event in a residential area/parking/open flame/noise ordinance/event hosting more than a certain number of people that requires permits and even a fire inspection?  I have been researching but am unfamiliar with any regulations that may be required in Hawaii.

Some background info:
-We want to have a low-key and relaxed lunch reception on a Saturday or Sunday so we won't be partying into the night and shouldn't be disruptive to our neighbors.
-The reception will be hosted by our family friends at a private residence.  They have a large lot and there is ample street parking.
-There should be approximately 50-75 in attendance
-As of now there is no wedding planner or wedding company we are going through.  We are doing most things ourselves and don't plan on hiring any coordinators for a very casual wedding.

I'd never heard of permitting for backyard weddings until I started researching after getting engaged.  I have been to many backyard bbqs and holiday parties at local residences with roughly the same amount of people in attendance and don't think they have ever been permitted.  I think we will be much less raucous that any of those events as well!  Is a wedding really any different because there will be a tent?
Maybe I am going too far and this isn't necessary; I just want to avoid the nightmare scenario where we get shut down mid-reception for not having a permit.

Re: Do We Need a Permit for Backyard Wedding?

• Options
    I know you need a permit to get married on public beaches, but I haven't heard anything about backyard weddings.  That would likely fall under the city's bylaws, or perhaps the county.  I'd phone them up instead of looking online and go from there.  Good luck 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards