Wedding Invitations & Paper

Hand Cancelling?

I have read a few places that hand cancelling is a good choice for magnets in envelopes ie Save the Dates, so I'm wondering if I should have them hand cancelled?

I went to pick up stamps and have it weighed so that I put proper postage on it and asked about hand cancelling. The guy at the post office said it wasn't necessary since the magnet is flexible and it's still flat. He also said that it was an extra 0.22 to have them hand cancelled. I am wondering if it's worth it to pay the extra to have them hand cancelled or if they should be fine just going through the machine.

Re: Hand Cancelling?

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2016
    Listen to the postal employee.  He knows.  We had no problems with daughter's flat magnets from Vistaprint.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • When I dropped off my STDs the woman at the post office realized it was wedding mail and said she would hand cancel them, I didn't even have to ask her to do it. There was no extra charge. (And I had a pretty big stack of envelopes.) I find it strange they would charge for this.

That being said, if he says it will be fine going through the machine then it probably will be, and I wouldn't pay the extra charge for STDs, but that's just me. Even the invitations I don't know if I would worry about it if they said it would be fine and would charge for the service- the whole point of an inner and outer envelope is in case the outer envelope gets damaged in the mailing process. Plus I can't remember ever getting an envelope in the mail that has been noticeably damaged. But that's just my opinion. In the end it's up to you to decide if it's worth the extra cost.
  • I've received magnet STDs that came through fine and others that got torn to shreds and were delivered to us in a plastic baggie....

I can't believe they charge you extra to hand cancel though! My post office gave me the stamp and told me to go cancel my invitations myself if I wanted them hand cancelled! I stood in a corner and went through them all before handing off my invitations to the post office worker.

• Thanks for your help ladies! I was kind of surprised when he said they would charge that much to hand cancel them especially since I had heard from other people that they hadn't been charged, maybe it is one of those things that is location by location difference?

I think I'll just let them run through the machine, I haven't heard anyone having issues with it but since I only know a handful of people I figured I might hear more/different opinions here.

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2016
    We sent magnets for STDs, didn't hand cancel, and had zero problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards