Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

Unique Dad/Daughter Songs

My dad and I were closer when I was younger, I changed the oil in the cars with him, helped him switch the tractor over for plowing snow etc (no brothers, plus I loved learning all that stuff)...when I got a little older and went off to college the closeness faded. 
As of late, with my younger sister just getting married a few months ago and my wedding coming up in 5 short months I am having trouble nailing down a good song for us to dance to. My sister chose "I Loved Her First" which was appropriate for the youngest daughter who never left home until the night she was married. 
I was thinking about "Daddy Dance With Me" by Krystal Keith, but I would like a few objective opinions before I choose.
Any other suggestions are definitely welcome as well!
Thanks in advance!

Re: Unique Dad/Daughter Songs

• My dad and I danced to Wildflowers by Tom Petty because I didn't really want a super traditional "Daddy's little girl" type of song. We have a close relationship but it's definitely more of an equal partnership and not "you'll be my little baby forever" kind of thing.

• I wanted that @labro for our song, but my dad wasn't a fan. We had a really hard time with this because we're not close but he wanted these super sentimental songs that I hated and made me feel "fake". I wish that I hadn't let him pick and just used what I wanted. The other suggestions I had wanted were "landslide" by Fleetwood Mac, Neil Young's "here for you", John Fogerty "I will walk with you", "God Only Knows" from the Beach Boys, the Eagles, "I wish you peace", and Sam Cookes "nothing can change this love".

I've never heard that song OP, but just because your sister had a particular song or relationship with your dad doesn't mean you have to. Use what feels right to you.
  • Trivia:  Toby Keith daughter, Kristal, wrote that song for her wedding! 
    Here's an under-used country song that you might like:  Just Fishin' by Trace Adkins
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IheODRwalEw
  • My dad and I also danced to "Wildflowers." It's pretty and a nice alternative to the more traditional or sentimental father/daughter dance songs.
  • My wedding is too far away to have this set in stone, but I am thinking of using "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong. My dad and I drunkenly danced to it on a vacation that just him and I took a couple years ago. It's one of my favorite memories.

• Jax43615 said:

My wedding is too far away to have this set in stone, but I am thinking of using "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong. My dad and I drunkenly danced to it on a vacation that just him and I took a couple years ago. It's one of my favorite memories.

The version by IZ is one of my favorite songs.
    James Taylor, you got a friend?
    Beatles , in my life?
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• edited January 2016
    I wanted that @labro for our song, but my dad wasn't a fan. We had a really hard time with this because we're not close but he wanted these super sentimental songs that I hated and made me feel "fake". I wish that I hadn't let him pick and just used what I wanted. The other suggestions I had wanted were "landslide" by Fleetwood Mac, Neil Young's "here for you", John Fogerty "I will walk with you", "God Only Knows" from the Beach Boys, the Eagles, "I wish you peace", and Sam Cookes "nothing can change this love". I've never heard that song OP, but just because your sister had a particular song or relationship with your dad doesn't mean you have to. Use what feels right to you.
    We had Landslide! 
    I hate sentimental songs personally so this was a good choice for us. 

Also, What A Wonderful World is very popular, but not unique. MIL choose it for her M-S dance at our wedding. I've heard it at several other weddings too. Not a bad song, just, not unique. 

Edit: corrected FMIL to MIL

• I am using Tough Little Boys by Gary Allen! 
  • I'm going to dance to "Little Miss Magic" by Jimmy Buffet with my dad at the wedding. He's a huge Jimmy Buffet fan so I grew up listening to it with him a lot. It's one of the things I'm most looking forward to!

• I thought about using this as well...also "Drive" by Alan Jackson because of being the daughter who was always willing to be out there working on the cars/tractor etc ... I will take a listen to everything suggested, thank you all so much!
  • I thought about using this as well...also "Drive" by Alan Jackson because of being the daughter who was always willing to be out there working on the cars/tractor etc ... I will take a listen to everything suggested, thank you all so much!
    Anything will work as long as you both like it.  GL
  • I'm going to dance to "Little Miss Magic" by Jimmy Buffet with my dad at the wedding. He's a huge Jimmy Buffet fan so I grew up listening to it with him a lot. It's one of the things I'm most looking forward to!
    Hello, fellow Parrothead...I LOVE that someone else is using Buffett! My dad introduced him to me as a baby, and used to sing me "Little Miss Magic" every night before bed. I think that's going to be one of my favorite parts of the wedding :)
  • "Always on Your Side" by Cheryl Crow & Sting was used for a father/daughter dance at a wedding that I attended a few years back.  I don't really know the lyrics to that song but remembered thinking that it was sweet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards