Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Opinions on Sandals Registry

13»

Re: Opinions on Sandals Registry

• Options
    Jen4948 said:
    This forum is highly etiquette driven, and people will call out ideas that they think inappropriate if they are posted. If you write a post on TK asking for registry advice, but don't want any posts unless somebody has experience in a Honeymoon registry, it is like writing to Dear Abby disclosing how you plan on belching the ABCs at your MILs funeral, but need advice on what soda will help you build enough gas to do so. Sorry, but Abby's going to tell you you're in the wrong. And publish it for the world to see.
    Hate to break it to you but there are a ton of women on here that think differently. They just don't want to post because of the backlash anyone new gets. Your example was quite comical though. Too bad it is an extreme exaggeration.  
    To bolded one: Why would you be here if you don't agree? It's 100% fine not to agree, but the atmosphere of this forum, as I said, is highly etiquette-driven. And if you get butt-hurt over our spin on wedding conversations, then by all means, find a forum that fits your views better.

To bolded two: Hyperbole serves a rhetorical purpose if it gets the point across.

Evidently, though, I need to devise even more outlandish scenarios.
    I love TK website so I definitely won't be leaving. Hell, TK is where I found out about resort registries. I also have not gotten butt-hurt over this post. If anything, it has been entertainment to watch everyone get so defensive when I won't conform to the "norm". Do you see why these comments are unnecessary? I asked a question about experiences with a certain registry. I just do not see the point in ya'll commenting if the advice given is not constructive. It's OK for me to ask a question that ya'll do not agree with. It was a simple question that needed a simple answer. Not all of this garbage that is happening now.
    They're trying to save you from being rude to your guests, not trying to make you conform to the "norm". If you're dead set on the rudeness, why does it even matter what others experiences with a Sandals registry are? They're the same as every other Honeymoon registry, and you clearly want to do it...so go for it. Good luck.

(edited for autocorrect)
    A Sandals registry isn't rude so I am definitely not being rude to my guests. 
    But.....are these people even your guests?
    They will be via live-stream. Although, I do not see how that is anyone's business. I didn't get on here to start a debate on the idea of my registry. I don't understand why everyone wants to hang up on that. 
    You can only control what you post-not how anyone responds to it.

And the act of posting here is prima facie "asking for our opinions" on whatever we choose to say - whether or not you specifically requested that we reply in a certain way (which you're not entitled to), whether or not you want to hear our opinions, and whether or not you agree with them.
    It's just so incredibly rude to do what ya'll are doing. It's almost like ya'll want to throw your two cents in so that an argument can be started. Why not try and avoid controversy? My question was posted in hopes of an answer. Now this post has spiraled out of control and it's all because of ya'll attempting to force your opinion. 
  • Options
    nerdwife said:
    This forum is highly etiquette driven, and people will call out ideas that they think inappropriate if they are posted. If you write a post on TK asking for registry advice, but don't want any posts unless somebody has experience in a Honeymoon registry, it is like writing to Dear Abby disclosing how you plan on belching the ABCs at your MILs funeral, but need advice on what soda will help you build enough gas to do so. Sorry, but Abby's going to tell you you're in the wrong. And publish it for the world to see.
    Hate to break it to you but there are a ton of women on here that think differently. They just don't want to post because of the backlash anyone new gets. Your example was quite comical though. Too bad it is an extreme exaggeration.  
    To bolded one: Why would you be here if you don't agree? It's 100% fine not to agree, but the atmosphere of this forum, as I said, is highly etiquette-driven. And if you get butt-hurt over our spin on wedding conversations, then by all means, find a forum that fits your views better.

To bolded two: Hyperbole serves a rhetorical purpose if it gets the point across.

I love TK website so I definitely won't be leaving. Hell, TK is where I found out about resort registries. I also have not gotten butt-hurt over this post. If anything, it has been entertainment to watch everyone get so defensive when I won't conform to the "norm". Do you see why these comments are unnecessary? I asked a question about experiences with a certain registry. I just do not see the point in ya'll commenting if the advice given is not constructive. It's OK for me to ask a question that ya'll do not agree with. It was a simple question that needed a simple answer. Not all of this garbage that is happening now.
    They're trying to save you from being rude to your guests, not trying to make you conform to the "norm". If you're dead set on the rudeness, why does it even matter what others experiences with a Sandals registry are? They're the same as every other Honeymoon registry, and you clearly want to do it...so go for it. Good luck.

(edited for autocorrect)
    They will be via live-stream. Although, I do not see how that is anyone's business. I didn't get on here to start a debate on the idea of my registry. I don't understand why everyone wants to hang up on that. 
    This is so ridiculous that it is laughable. People here are only going to tell you that a honeymoon registry is tacky (because it is). If that's not the answer you want, ask someone who validate you. But stop trying to get a different answer here.

This is like if you wanted 1+1 to equal 3, and kept pressing the calculator over and over hoping for that result. It just isn't going to happen.
    You are mistaken. I am not looking for a different answer. I actually came here looking for an answer to my original question that had nothing to do with what people thought of my registry. It's ridiculous and laughable that you people have nothing better to do than change the subject just so you can attempt to ridicule someone. 
  • Options
    nerdwife said:

(edited for autocorrect)
    This is so ridiculous that it is laughable. People here are only going to tell you that a honeymoon registry is tacky (because it is). If that's not the answer you want, ask someone who validate you. But stop trying to get a different answer here.

This is like if you wanted 1+1 to equal 3, and kept pressing the calculator over and over hoping for that result. It just isn't going to happen.
    You are mistaken. I am not looking for a different answer. I actually came here looking for an answer to my original question that had nothing to do with what people thought of my registry. It's ridiculous and laughable that you people have nothing better to do than change the subject just so you can attempt to ridicule someone. 
    You're not looking for a different answer? So you accept that the registry is a bad idea? Then I guess everything is settled.
  • Options
    OP, I'm not sure you get how internet forums work. You ask a question and you can't control the responses. If you post a bad idea, we're going to tell you whether you want to hear it or not. Isn't there a small part of you that could even acknowledge that maybe - just maybe - if this many people are telling you so passionately that this is tacky....that it is?

I understand that many of you share the same opinions but that doesn't mean that my registry is tacky. You don't like it, whatever that's fine. I do like it and so does my family. Why do all of you care if this works for me? What are ya'll trying to accomplish? I am not going to delete my registry or think poorly of it.
  • Options
    nerdwife said:
    nerdwife said:

(edited for autocorrect)

You're not looking for a different answer? So you accept that the registry is a bad idea? Then I guess everything is settled.
    Do not put words in my mouth. I am not looking for a different answer because I am not looking to change any of your minds. I do not care what ya'll think of the registry. Although, ya'll seem to care a great deal about what I think of my registry. My mind is not going to change so why beat a dead horse?
  • Options
    nerdwife said:
    nerdwife said:

(edited for autocorrect)

Do not put words in my mouth. I am not looking for a different answer because I am not looking to change any of your minds. I do not care what ya'll think of the registry. Although, ya'll seem to care a great deal about what I think of my registry. My mind is not going to change so why beat a dead horse?
    That's what I'm asking you - all of these women responded telling you that it's a bad idea. You've insisted you do not care about etiquette and will do it anyway. I don't think you realize that you are the one with the bat here. Leave the poor horse alone.
  • Options
    nerdwife said:
    nerdwife said:
    nerdwife said:

(edited for autocorrect)

That's what I'm asking you - all of these women responded telling you that it's a bad idea. You've insisted you do not care about etiquette and will do it anyway. I don't think you realize that you are the one with the bat here. Leave the poor horse alone.
    nerdwife said:
    nerdwife said:
    nerdwife said:

(edited for autocorrect)

nerdwife said:
    nerdwife said:
    nerdwife said:

(edited for autocorrect)

That is a silly response. I have made my position clear from the beginning. Do you honestly think that I am going to change my mind because of a bunch of internet strangers? I'm sorry to disappoint but I stand firm with my decision. And no, I am not the one with the bat. That would be all of you trying to change my mind when it's clearing not going to happen. Hence, beating a dead horse. You won't get anything new from doing it so why try?  
  • Options

JoanE2012 said:

Most of the ladies here are smart enough to know that a honeymoon registry is stupid, rude and a financially dumb decision.  Most.

I happen to think it's a wonderful idea. Especially when I have a lot of immediate family overseas and this works perfectly for them.
    You think it's a wonderful idea to give away almost 10% of your gift to a service?  Really?

Just because your guests are international does not mean they automatically have NO IDEA how to give you a gift.  
  • Options
    Y'ALL. It's fucking rude and tacky. You're not going to find a differing opinion here. Go over to Wedding Bee. 
  • Options

That is a silly response. I have made my position clear from the beginning. Do you honestly think that I am going to change my mind because of a bunch of internet strangers? I'm sorry to disappoint but I stand firm with my decision. And no, I am not the one with the bat. That would be all of you trying to change my mind when it's clearing not going to happen. Hence, beating a dead horse. You won't get anything new from doing it so why try?  
    So stop posting.  Just are you are not going to change your mind, neither are we.
  • Options
    tigerlily6tigerlily6 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2016
    MORE SCENARIOS WHERE PEOPLE WILL TELL YOU "JUST, NO"

- You tell your vet that you don't need to board Fido, because Michael Vick volunteered to dogsit for you. You ask your vet about how much dog food you should give Michael.  

- You and DH are hosting Hannukah for your traditional Jewish in-laws, and you ask DH whether you should do spare ribs or snow-crab. 

- You're disappointed with DS's bad grades in math, so during the Parent Teacher meetings, you suggest to his teacher that she bring in Wrinkles like you do at home for behavioral correction.

- Your doctor, while giving you the routine check-up, makes small talk and asks "So any big plans for the weekend?" You respond, "Oh, well, actually, I have a question, Doc: which is healthier -- crack or heroin?"

See, hyperbole is fun. 

ETF spelling

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Heffalump said:

I have to explain that it's not rude or tacky because none of you seem to understand that. 
    @Knottie1433791078, honest question:  why do you think that is?

A) Everyone here is suffering from some mass delusion, or

B) If everyone here thinks it's a bad idea, it...might be a bad idea?

Assuming that this is more or less a representative sample, even if you think your idea is cool, can you allow for the possibility that at least some of your guests will feel the way that every other poster on this board feels?

And it's not arbitrary:  people have given you logical reasons why this isn't a great idea.  Reasons that, if people here are aware of them, it's likely that your guests will be, too. 

Skip the Sandals registry.  Receive cash.  (Note:  receive, not ask for.)  Use the cash to go on as many excursions as your schedule allows and your heart desires.  (And FWIW, I'm big fan of excursions.  Love 'em.  Have fun.) 

1 Person says its not tacky and rude

Several people say it is tacky and rude

Clearly it is the several people who just don't understand...

OP I have tried to give you help, I've pointed out the free activities available that will keep you busy, I also pointed out that while I didn't (and never would) use a Sandals registry specifically I had trouble getting credit for things that were promised to us in booking so if their registry system is on the same system I'd be wary. Other posters have pointed out that the registry takes a 10% fee. Wouldn't you rather have the $100 from grandma rather than $90 after Sandals takes a fee? That extra $10 can buy you lunch at the airport on the way home or something if you want...

Even if we're all just delusional and it wasn't rude to me that 10% would be enough to convince me to just not register and to graciously accept cash or checks from whomever wishes to send them to us. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Viczaesar   urgh now the "ya'll"s are getting to me
  • Options
    I like that you don't care about etiquette but you also insist that what you're doing isn't rude.   Does that mean that you understand that a honeymoon registry *is* against etiquette or that if you don't care about etiquette then suddenly what you think of them is now OK?     I'm afraid that's not how logic works. 

Why can't you just say, "We don't have a registry but we're going to an all inclusive resort with drinks included that the FI won't even consume and we'd love to do some excursions. "   Then your family and friends know that you're giving Sandals more money than necessary and they can give YOU money towards excursions.   And then you don't have to feel like your honeymoon is so planned out and chock full of things to do that you don't get moments to chill out.   

Seriously - wouldn't you want that flexibility to have YOUR money YOUR way so that you aren't at the mercy of the plans of the resort?   Then you can decide that the 9 AM hiking trip isn't worth it but 9 AM love time is. 
  • Options
    OP, how old are you? You're acting like a 13 year old trying very very hard to shock their parents.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

(edited for autocorrect)
    Aaaaaaaaaaaand this is where i wrote this off as a complete trolling attempt.  Could have gone either way earlier, but this was a bridge too far.  If it's real though it is absolutely hilarious.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards