Wedding Etiquette Forum

How to deal with flaking in-laws filled with empty promises?

I will first state that my fiance is a great man and til this day I'm utterly surprised and amazed how him and his siblings became such wonderful people.

Long story short (in my eyes) my future in-laws lied about financially contributing to our wedding without any communication or notification of their broken promises.  Let's first start with my mother in law.  We asked months ago (We asked August 2015/ wedding is June 2016) if she plans to financially contribute anything to the wedding. In response, she said she will call back. That's been about six months ago, no response as of yet. If you can't do it, why not fess up to it to give me time to prepare and make other arrangements if needed. Of course I would be bummed, but I'd understand.

Traditionally, the groom's parents are supposed to pay for the rehearsal dinner. We made another attempt to ask if she will contribute to this, she said she will call back, yet again no response. Surprise, right?  So now my mother, fiance, and I will also have to financially pay for the rehearsal dinner as well as all other wedding items, due to her negligence and her non-responsive attitude.  Of course I discussed with my fiance why is she like this;  were there some mitigating circumstances I don't know about? Unfortunately, my fiance was not surprised and this is normal.

I feel that my FML (future mother- in - law) assumes that since I'm the only child that my parents are super rich; but what she doesn't know, is that my parents were willing to work an additional year (they are close to retirement) so they can help me pay this wedding. If that doesn't tell you how much of a selfless and wonderful couple I was blessed to call to my parents, I don't know what does.

Let the messiness continue:
FML's daughter (my future sister in law) is a participant in the wedding, but she is at an age where you would normally go through the mother to discuss wedding business.  Since FML stated that she had a financially strain a couple of weeks ago (now she wants to say something), my fiance and I decided to pay for the young lady's shoes and hair (saving FML about $150.00). Can you believe this woman didn't communicate back to us with a 'thank you'?

Dad:
His father was pretty absent in their lives growing up yet he promises and offered up and down he will financially contribute X amount of dollars by X date. That date came and went, nothing at this time.

Overall:
I feel frustrated that these people created empty promises; and instead of being honest, they faded into black and let others pick up their pieces.  I'm sadden that my fiance feels embarrassed of his parents' actions; but one thing I will not allow, is for him to be ashamed of himself because he is nothing like them and he is a wonderful person. I'm pissed that this made him revert back to that little kid assuming his parents are going to promise him something, but with no follow through. 

I'm sorry for the rant, but my requests for advice are as follows:

1) Particularly if the in-laws don't come through with what they promised by wedding day, should we bother giving my in-laws a gift? We already purchased diamond jewelry and - though petty- I feel these individuals don't deserve it. My fiance agrees as well.

2)Heck, should we thank them at all at our wedding and only praise those who were there for us during this time?

3) Should we address them with our concerns and have a serious "come to the alter" meeting? This may seem far fetched, but I fear that they will resemble these same actions with our future children and that is something I WILL NOT tolerate.

I'm so sorry for such a long post, but people without integrity are a huge pet peeve of mine.

Re: How to deal with flaking in-laws filled with empty promises?

• If "people without integrity" peeve you, what are your thoughts on entitled people?

No one has any responsibility to pay for your wedding except you, regardless of tradition.  Traditionally, the bride's family paid a dowry to the groom. You following that tradition, too?

You were wrong (and incredibly rude) to even ask her.  You don't ask people, even your parents, to give you money so you can throw a party.  Offering to give money is one thing (and you shouldn't plan on it until money is in hand). Expecting and asking for it is rude and entitled.

Don't bring it up again. Don't be passive aggressive and withhold things because you feel she (and it's very clear be she you actually mean her wallet) wasn't "there for you" to pay for your party.   Parent gifts aren't about rewarding them for giving you money (because essentially then they bought their own gift with the money they are giving you for the wedding - how stupid is that?) - it's about thanking them for raising you and standing by you as you start a new family with your spouse. And finally, you continue planning things based on what you and your fiance can afford to pay for yourselves.  If she later offers to contribute and gives you money, then you can put it toward something else or pad  your savings or retirement accounts.
  • Answered in the 1st post, but

I will first state that my fiance is a great man and til this day I'm utterly surprised and amazed how him and his siblings became such wonderful people.

Long story short (in my eyes) my future in-laws lied about financially contributing to our wedding without any communication or notification of their broken promises.  Let's first start with my mother in law.  We asked months ago (We asked August 2015/ wedding is June 2016) if she plans to financially contribute anything to the wedding. You should never ask people for money.  It's rude.  If your parents intend on giving you money towards your wedding, they will, without being asked.  In response, she said she will call back. That's been about six months ago, no response as of yet. If you can't do it, why not fess up to it to give me time to prepare and make other arrangements if needed. Of course I would be bummed, but I'd understand.  You guys put her in an awkward and uncomfortable position, and IMO she's trying to gently give you guys the hint that she doesn't care to contribute to your wedding. . . by not responding.

Traditionally, the groom's parents are supposed to pay for the rehearsal dinner. We made another attempt to ask if she will contribute to this, she said she will call back, yet again no response. Surprise, right?  So now my mother, fiance, and I will also have to financially pay for the rehearsal dinner as well as all other wedding items, due to her negligence and her non-responsive attitude.  Uh, no.  You and your FI are adults, I assume since you are getting married, and you and your FI are the ones getting married so you two should be the ones to pay for it.  Surprise, right?  Your FMIL is in no way negligent if she is choosing not to contribute to your wedding.  Traditionally the bride's father arranged the marriage and provided a dowry of money, land, and goods to the groom. . . is your father doing that?  Is he negligent if he is not?  Of course I discussed with my fiance why is she like this;  were there some mitigating circumstances I don't know about? Unfortunately, my fiance was not surprised and this is normal.

I feel that my FML (future mother- in - law) assumes that since I'm the only child that my parents are super rich; but what she doesn't know, is that my parents were willing to work an additional year (they are close to retirement) so they can help me pay this wedding. If that doesn't tell you how much of a selfless and wonderful couple I was blessed to call to my parents, I don't know what does.   You are projecting too much on your FMIL.  I think it's safer to assume that she assumes since her son is a bloody adult that he should be able to pay for his own wedding, and if not he should have the sense to lengthen the engagement to save up for his wedding, or scale back the wedding plans to something that he can actually afford, or perhaps get a second job to bring in extra cash, etc.

Let the messiness continue:
    FML's daughter (my future sister in law) is a participant in the wedding, but she is at an age where you would normally go through the mother to discuss wedding business.  What?  What does this even mean?  Since FML stated that she had a financially strain a couple of weeks ago (now she wants to say something), my fiance and I decided to pay for the young lady's shoes and hair (saving FML about $150.00). Can you believe this woman didn't communicate back to us with a 'thank you'?  Depending on your attitude and her son's attitude, yes, I can believe she might be limiting contact with you guys.  If you want to do something nice for someone, you should just do it. . . without expecting a pat on the head for doing the right thing, then getting butthurt when you don't get that head pat.

Dad:
    His father was pretty absent in their lives growing up yet he promises and offered up and down he will financially contribute X amount of dollars by X date. That date came and went, nothing at this time.  Don't count on other people's money until the cold, hard cash is literally in your hands or they check has cleared in your bank account.

Overall:
    I feel frustrated that these people created empty promises; and instead of being honest, they faded into black and let others pick up their pieces.  If you or he directly asked people for money, you put them in an awkward position.  NO ONE is under any obligation to help you two pay for your own wedding- not his parents nor yours.  If your parents choose to give you money, that's fantastic, but don't expect the same from others and then get angry at them when they choose not to give you money.  I'm sadden that my fiance feels embarrassed of his parents' actions; but one thing I will not allow, is for him to be ashamed of himself because he is nothing like them and he is a wonderful person.  I'm pissed that this made him revert back to that little kid assuming his parents are going to promise him something, but with no follow through.  You can't really control how he feels, though.  Sure you can be supportive and try to raise his spirits, but if he's going to be upset that's just something he has to work through on his own.  If he feels bummed out that his parents aren't giving him money for his wedding, that's an issue of him learning to manage his expectations. . . in that he never should have expected the money in the 1st place.

I'm sorry for the rant, but my requests for advice are as follows:

1) Particularly if the in-laws don't come through with what they promised by wedding day, should we bother giving my in-laws a gift? We already purchased diamond jewelry and - though petty- I feel these individuals don't deserve it. My fiance agrees as well. 

That's super, super, fucking petty.  Gifts are not quid pro quo transactions, they are meant to be a heartfelt token of appreciation for another person.  Don't act like petulant, spoiled brats, please.

I'm telling you right now- forget about getting money from his parents.  It's not going to happen.  Don't be foolish and add this fictions contribution from his parents into your wedding budget, spending money you don't have, which will then result in you scrambling to make up the difference later on.  We see that shit all the time on these boards, and it never ends well. . . for the guests that attend these weddings, because the couple almost always plans on cutting back on things that matter to the guests (food, drink, seating, etc.) rather than cutting back on the superfluous crap that doesn't matter to the guests but are a part of the couple's "vision" (flowers, decor, centerpieces, bridal gown, etc.)

Don't be that couple.

2)Heck, should we thank them at all at our wedding and only praise those who were there for us during this time?

Being "there for you during this time" SHOULD NOT actually mean "those that gave us money for our glorified party."  Because that is exactly what you are inferring with that phrase in the context of your post, and that's all a wedding reception is- a glorified party.

You should thank anyone and everyone who was there for you during this time in that they supported and embraced your relationship with your FI.

Stop being spiteful and petty.

3) Should we address them with our concerns and have a serious "come to the alter" meeting? This may seem far fetched, but I fear that they will resemble these same actions with our future children and that is something I WILL NOT tolerate.

No.  Stop fucking asking people for money.  Take the hint- you already asked his parents for money, their silence should be telling.  And get the fuck over the fact that they don't want to give you guys money.  You're not entitled to their money to pay for your own damn wedding!

Sure, it would be great if they paid for the RD or gave you a chunk of money for the reception, like your parents, and be a little bummed.  But recognize that, again, you two are adults who should be capable of paying for your own events, on your own, and move on.

Stop being dramatic and extrapolating this situation out to how your FIL will be with your nonexistant children, and stop fanning this flame with your FI.  If he has issues with disappointment with his parents stemming from childhood, he should probably start working those issues out.

I'm so sorry for such a long post, but people without integrity are a huge pet peeve of mine.

People who don't want to pay for other people's glorified parties lack integrity?  You are super judgmental and entitled, and it's unbecoming. 

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• @banana468 This is what I had in my head from reading OPs post and based on your last sentence it sounds like you did too! 

Get out of my head, @marriedhamstermom! I was just searching for a Veruca Salt gif!!
  • I can't. Is OP real? A troll? People this entitled exist?

Where in the world did you get these expectations? How old are you? What do you and this wonderful FI do for respective livings?

You expect everyone else to pay for this wedding? Do you have a dowry too?

• banana468 said:
    @banana468 This is what I had in my head from reading OPs post and based on your last sentence it sounds like you did too! 

Having kids of my own now, I am doing what I can to make sure that my daughter acts nothing like the OP.    

At least Chiquita is 5.

I assume that the OP is a grown up which is just so sad.    She's been raised to believe that this is what she "deserves" right down to the parents who are actually working for an additional 52 WEEKS to pay for something that will last for maybe 12 HOURS.  
    At some point people become adults who are capable of forming their own thoughts and opinions, independent of how they were raised.  So I think it's unfair to assume the OP's parents raised her to be this entitled.

Even the most crunchy, hipster, millennial helicopter mothers aren't doing what they do with the goal that their children will act like brats as adults.  It's an unintended side effect of parents who are at their core very well meaning.

I feel very badly when I see parents who are deeply upset by the choices and actions of their adult kids- it's not always a reflection on the parents at all, and it breaks my heart to see them feeling that way.  I can't even imagine what that kind of guilt and disappointment feels like.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Everyone else has already said this, but you should never ask someone to help you pay for your wedding. I think you're just getting wrapped up in some wedding crazy-ness. Take a step back here and consider apologizing to his mom so you're all back in good graces.
  • banana468 said:
    @banana468 This is what I had in my head from reading OPs post and based on your last sentence it sounds like you did too! 

Having kids of my own now, I am doing what I can to make sure that my daughter acts nothing like the OP.    

At least Chiquita is 5.

I assume that the OP is a grown up which is just so sad.    She's been raised to believe that this is what she "deserves" right down to the parents who are actually working for an additional 52 WEEKS to pay for something that will last for maybe 12 HOURS.  
    At some point people become adults who are capable of forming their own thoughts and opinions, independent of how they were raised.  So I think it's unfair to assume the OP's parents raised her to be this entitled.

Even the most crunchy, hipster, millennial helicopter mothers aren't doing what they do with the goal that their children will act like brats as adults.  It's an unintended side effect of parents who are at their core very well meaning.

I feel very badly when I see parents who are deeply upset by the choices and actions of their adult kids- it's not always a reflection on the parents at all, and it breaks my heart to see them feeling that way.  I can't even imagine what that kind of guilt and disappointment feels like.
    You're right.  I made some serious assumptions that the OP's parents condone this and there is nothing that gives that impression.

What I will say is that I'm trying to raise a kid to be grateful for what she has and what's she's given.   That doesn't mean that I can guarantee she won't be an ass when she grows up but I'm going to try to lay the groundwork so that she's not feeling entitled when she's older. 

• edited February 2016
    wow.  I won't say much because I'm sure others will.  HOWEVER, PLEASE remember that these people are your fiance's family and in a short time they will be your family.  While I disagree that you have the right to be upset about any of this (you don't ASK for money- people offer it and I would be uncomfortable saying "no" if I were asked too!  Which is why you don't ask!) - the biggest thing I feel needs to be said is that we don't always love how our family acts.  Sometimes we are right, sometimes we are wrong, but no matter how much we don't love it they are still family.  Do you really want to start off your life as part of this family being spiteful and petty?  Do you really want to put your wonderful fiance in the uncomfortable place of being in the middle torn between his future wife and his family?

Be loving toward him and be graceful with his family.

ETA: spelling grrr
  • Oh my.

Your ILs are fine. Gracious, even. I think you and your FI should apologize to everyone for acting as if you were entitled to their money to throw a party.

Then drop it, and pay for a wedding you can afford. I assume your parents' contribution has been spent, or I would return that and let the poor people retire in peace.

And honor everyone who are your parents and have acted like parents to you throughout your lives, not those who paid for a party (and shoes, and hairdos) that didn't strictly need to happen.
  • I'm just going to leave this right here.  
  • LOL. Good luck to you. I have a feeling your sense of entitlement will cause you much frustration in your life. 

Pay for your own wedding. Apologize profusely to anyone you asked/badgered to financially contribute to your wedding. 
  • 3) Should we address them with our concerns and have a serious "come to the alter" meeting? This may seem far fetched, but I fear that they will resemble these same actions with our future children and that is something I WILL NOT tolerate. 

-------

Lol at number 3! Rereading this post just gets better. I love that it only 'may' seem far fetched. 

• geebee908 said:
    I find this bride's attitude has kind of rattled me. We're talking about a woman who has basically been a single mom raising her kids to the best of her abilities, I would imagine, and making sacrifices of her own finances and time to do so. Now to be cast as a flake trying to get out of paying her "portion" of the wedding expenses is unimaginable. Add to that her parents putting off retirement to pay for their party as though that's exactly what they should do for her, and I'm just upset that these people are being treated this way.
    I think the key word here that often gets forgotten in these types of posts is 'party'. A wedding is just a fucking party at the end of the day. Don't send your family to the poor house over it. 

• OP, I also find it pretty reprehensible that you're totally fine with your parents working another YEAR to fund your wedding. As if it's not enough that they provided for you for 18 years, they now need to work another 365 days to pay for a wedding. 
  • Holy shit, your attitude is disgusting.  Pay for your own fucking wedding like an adult. You're not entitled to anyone's money.  

• This is fake, right?  Nope. I refuse to believe this post is real. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards