Wedding Invitations & Paper

STD Magnets

My FMIL is insisting that we HAVE to get our STDs printed as magnets and I'm honestly not crazy about them. I feel like most households have enough magnets already and will put our date on their calendars/agendas regardless of if they receive a magnet or postcard. She claims that the magnets are easier for people to keep track of but I have personally never had issues with not being able to keep track of STDs/invitations for the 10+ weddings I have received them for. 

She has offered to pay the difference between postcards and magnets but honestly I don't think the magnets are necessary. It's just another magnet for people to put on their fridge that is already full of magnets. I would rather send them a postcard that they will put on their fridge/bulletin board/wherever they would like then send a magnet that is extra cost for us and limits where they can put it as a reminder. 

Am I the only one that is not crazy about STD magnets?

Re: STD Magnets

• What a silly thing to argue about.

Postcard or magnet, it's going on the fridge either way. If you're asking if we like magnets, I vote yes. But whoever is paying for the STDs, gets to decide. 

• I used STD magnets. I like being able to toss a magnet up on my fridge with a date I need to remember. 
  • My FMIL is insisting that we HAVE to get our STDs printed as magnets and I'm honestly not crazy about them. I feel like most households have enough magnets already and will put our date on their calendars/agendas regardless of if they receive a magnet or postcard. She claims that the magnets are easier for people to keep track of but I have personally never had issues with not being able to keep track of STDs/invitations for the 10+ weddings I have received them for. 

She has offered to pay the difference between postcards and magnets but honestly I don't think the magnets are necessary. It's just another magnet for people to put on their fridge that is already full of magnets. I would rather send them a postcard that they will put on their fridge/bulletin board/wherever they would like then send a magnet that is extra cost for us and limits where they can put it as a reminder. 

If she's willing to pay the difference, I say let her.  This is a silly argument and not a hill to die on.  You're going to be spending holidays with this woman .... I wouldn't let something like this define the beginning of your relationship.
  • I love magnet STDs. I have a small collection on my fridge, and I like being able to see the friends/family who are engaged or whose weddings I've gone to. Postcards get thrown out, but magnets get added to the collection.

Also, it's slightly more convenient, because I know exactly where they are when I need to check the date.
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2015
    I'm not crazy about them because my refrigerator is stainless steel and I can't put magnets on it unless they fit over on the small sliver on the side that sticks out from the cabinet.  So even when we receive magnets, they get tossed in the bowl that we put things that come in the mail that we need to remember.  

Even when I could use fridge magnets though, I wasn't crazy about them because I don't like the cluttered look.  That's just me though.
    Married 9.12.15
  • My FMIL is insisting that we HAVE to get our STDs printed as magnets and I'm honestly not crazy about them. I feel like most households have enough magnets already and will put our date on their calendars/agendas regardless of if they receive a magnet or postcard. She claims that the magnets are easier for people to keep track of but I have personally never had issues with not being able to keep track of STDs/invitations for the 10+ weddings I have received them for. 

If she's paying the difference, how is it an extra cost for you?  Let her have this!  For me, I'd much rather have a magnet that I can stick to the fridge than a postcard which I'll either stick to the fridge anyway or will end up in our mail bin with coupons and such that will pretty much never be seen again.

As for the tracking, I really don't need either - as soon as I know of an event, it gets written down in the calendar. 

This is very silly to argue about - especially when she's paying!  I hope the rest of your wedding planning isn't like this!
  • If you get save-the-dates, which is optional, they don't have to be magnets.

Some people prefer them, but there is no etiquette requirement that they come in any particular form.
  • I love magnets. It's what we used, but I don't think they are better or worse than any other STD. If she wants to buy them, just let her. It doesn't really affect you, after all. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Thanks for you response ladies! The more I have thought this over today the more I realized I was making it a bigger thing than it needs to be. I am going to figure out which design my fiancé and I like the best and if it can be made into a magnet then that is what we will do. Honestly I think if it hadn't been the fact that I was already annoyed by other unrelated things when she brought it up this weekend I probably wouldn't have even given it this much thought. This was just one of those things that I had never really wanted and with everything else going on it just wasn't a good time to even consider it with a level head.

Not to mention that FILs are kicking in money to help with other aspects of the wedding so when she brought it up and offered to pay the difference I didn't want to just do it for the sake of doing it to keep her quiet. They're already helping a TON and having her pay for something that I feel is unnecessary is a little weird. 

It looks like as long as I can get the design we're looking at made into magnets that's what we will do because after all it really doesn't bother me that much and I don't want to ruin a pretty good relationship with FMIL. 
    I love STD magnets (although we decided to go the postcard route.) However, just for reference because you mentioned it; those who pay have a say.  Keep in mind these types of discussions will likely happen in other areas of your wedding as well.
  • Thanks for you response ladies! The more I have thought this over today the more I realized I was making it a bigger thing than it needs to be. I am going to figure out which design my fiancé and I like the best and if it can be made into a magnet then that is what we will do. Honestly I think if it hadn't been the fact that I was already annoyed by other unrelated things when she brought it up this weekend I probably wouldn't have even given it this much thought. This was just one of those things that I had never really wanted and with everything else going on it just wasn't a good time to even consider it with a level head.

Not to mention that FILs are kicking in money to help with other aspects of the wedding so when she brought it up and offered to pay the difference I didn't want to just do it for the sake of doing it to keep her quiet. They're already helping a TON and having her pay for something that I feel is unnecessary is a little weird. 

It looks like as long as I can get the design we're looking at made into magnets that's what we will do because after all it really doesn't bother me that much and I don't want to ruin a pretty good relationship with FMIL. 
    I love STD magnets (although we decided to go the postcard route.) However, just for reference because you mentioned it; those who pay have a say.  Keep in mind these types of discussions will likely happen in other areas of your wedding as well.
    I fully understand that those that pay get a say, FILs have given us the money to cover catering for their family members and the few friends they wanted to invite. We discussed our catering options with them and included them in that decision. They aren't just giving us a blanket amount for the wedding, they are paying for a specific thing which we have discussed with them. 

I am more than willing to include FILs on things that they are paying for and plan to. I'm also aware that these things will likely come up since she has said she will be willing to contribute to other things as needed throughout the planning, I just didn't think this was going to be one of them. Until the other night she hadn't mentioned invitations or STDs at all except to tell us that she would give us her address book when we needed it.

I fully understand that those that pay get a say, FILs have given us the money to cover catering for their family members and the few friends they wanted to invite. We discussed our catering options with them and included them in that decision. They aren't just giving us a blanket amount for the wedding, they are paying for a specific thing which we have discussed with them. 

I am more than willing to include FILs on things that they are paying for and plan to. I'm also aware that these things will likely come up since she has said she will be willing to contribute to other things as needed throughout the planning, I just didn't think this was going to be one of them. Until the other night she hadn't mentioned invitations or STDs at all except to tell us that she would give us her address book when we needed it.
    Sounds like you've got it covered:).  Just wanted to make sure.
  • That's great FutureWooly. Don't argue about things that aren't going to matter in the grand scheme of things. Save it for something that's important to you. 

• I am not a fan of magnet STDs.  FI loves them.  Magnets don't work on my fridge, and I am not particularly fond of a cluttered surface.  FI was paying, and we agreed to do whatever was the cheapest... it turns out the magnets were the cheaper STD.  Everyone got magnets.
  • I'm not a fan of the magnets but my mother is really excited about them and so is the fiancé. If she's paying the difference though it's worth going along with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards