August 2013 Weddings

What are you doing for favors?

Any ideas what you guys are planning to do for favors? I've been looking online for a while and having SUCH a hard time finding anything I like. I don't want a knickknack with our names on it or a generic favor (I own at least 2-3 apiece of the heart-topped wine stoppers, heart key bottle openers, heart cookie cutter sets, and heart measuring spoons from my days as a banquet server in a catering hall, lol!) but I also don't want to spend a fortune. I like edible, but my mom has bluntly pointed out that no, making 300 iced sugar cookies or making 500 chocolate truffles in the week or so before the wedding is a little insane.

Today, it hit me - why not limoncello? I make good limoncello, it's basically effortless (zest lemons, dump in vodka, and put it in a closet for 6 weeks) and I can do it for less than basically all of the favors I've found, about $1.20-$1.25 per airplane botle. And a bonus - our colors are yellow and purple, so it matches :)

What do you guys think? Would you enjoy that as a favor?
Wedding Countdown Ticker
140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

Re: What are you doing for favors?

• I love the idea of edible favor. Unfortanetly, my hall won't allow me to do anything edible! Instead we are making a donation to the American Cancer Society or the National Brain Tumor Society, we haven't decided yet. My FI mother passed away when he was 10 from brain caner. So it has a special meaning to us. All of my guests will be getting a bookmark that explains the donation as a favor.

I like the idea of your favors, but are all of your guests over the legal drinking age? I only ask because your hall might not be okay with passing out alcohol to underagers. Or are you thinking of having an alternative favor for those under the drinking age or who don't really like to drink? Those would be my only concerns. Otherwise I think its a great idea!

Wedding Countdown Ticker August 2013 March Siggy Challenge: The Dress! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • RailWayWifeRailWayWife member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited February 2013
    We wanted to make ours ourself and have it be edible so we decided on Dip Mixes. It would be something like this...

Minus the pinup girls :p
  • rel1988rel1988 member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2013
    I agree with AShelton...what about for guests who are not over 21? They might feel left out or if you are having young ones at the reception you might not want them to get into anything...we all know how curious little ones can be!

@AShelton...what a cute and generous idea for donations!!

We are having a photo booth and since guests get as many free photo strips as they want all night we are considering that to be their favors. I agree with you...all those little "trinket" favors are a waste in my opinion!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thankfully, we have no little ones in the family - we're the first to get married in both families and circles of friends, so no one has kids yet! The youngest guest is 16 and she's in my wedding party (so she'll have a limoncello favor, as a keepsake, but she's not going to drink it), so she's not a problem. I will probably do a little box of Godiva chocolate instead for her, since they're her favorite. Everyone else is over 21 and in my family/circle of friends, we don't have any teetotalers.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We are leaning towards having a candy bar or I make make chocolate covered oreos in our colors.  We definitely want something edible though, because then it won't go to waste. 

I like your limoncello idea.  Since it seems that your group would appreciate it, go for it!
  • Stardust: Limoncello is a very unique idea! If it's easy for you to do and makes sense for your guests then I say go for it!

Ashelton: The bookmark/donation idea is very sweet and thoughtful.

RailWayWife: Dip mixes is also a unique idea, I've never seen dip mixes as a favor. That's something they can definitely enjoy later.

I don't think I'm going to do favors. My step-mom really wants to make some so if she really wants to do that I won't get in her way, I appreciate the enthusiasm. I think she might do bubbles tied with a ribbon or something like that. IF we have room in our budget I would love to add a photo booth. It seems like a fun activity and great keepsake.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LOVE the limoncello idea...as well as all the others mentioned!

We are having a photo booth at our wedding so we're going to give out photo booth frames for people to keep their pictures in...figure its a cute way to keep them from getting damaged!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm so excited for our favors. I was thinking of not doing them at all since I've never been to a wedding where the favor was anything I cared about keeping (and the edible things for me I just have no self control around food so I eat it there and then I'm also eating wedding cake and it's just weird).

So fiance suggested dice. Because we are D+D players and we do a lot of games with gamer dice. Family not as much, but I think it's still cool and different and we'll do a bunch more standard dice than the D+D type.

But basically we're going to have a fishbowl vase full of assorted dice and little mesh baggies with our initials on them and people can fill the baggies with dice! 

I'm so pleased with this idea. Perfect for a super geeky wedding.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_august-2013-weddings_what-are-you-doing-for-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:0c4df628-5c86-4382-8f99-5d75e3f57aa4Discussion:8c430756-a06c-40ce-9aff-957f52f937a5Post:fb3c37a7-a38b-4d0f-a25f-d552e0eb342f">Re: What are you doing for favors?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thankfully, we have no little ones in the family - we're the first to get married in both families and circles of friends, so no one has kids yet! The youngest guest is 16 and she's in my wedding party (so she'll have a limoncello favor, as a keepsake, but she's not going to drink it), so she's not a problem. I will probably do a little box of Godiva chocolate instead for her, since they're her favorite. Everyone else is over 21 and in my family/circle of friends, we don't have any teetotalers.
    Posted by xxstardust[/QUOTE]

<div>Sounds perfect, then! </div><div>
    </div><div>It's special, homemade, and I'm sure delicious! </div>
  • RM - I LOVE your favor idea! You can never have too many dice ... :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I think we'll do a donation also. And possibly cake pops? Depending on how much I have left to do the week before!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Limoncello sounds great! As do all the other ideas. My FI and his friends would love the dice! We brew beer, and I wish that could be our favor but sadly the venue won't allow it. I think we are going to do little bunches of honey sticks tied up with ribbon. I LOVE honey, and I'm hoping we can find a local supplier.
  • Ooh great idea... there are no rules, do what you want :)
  • We are doing hard tact candy in our wedding colors, breaking it up, mixing the two together and putting them in boxes. It's super cheap but cute!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • homemade lobster lollipops!

we are also having a dessert bar that will have containers for guests to take goodies home.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are having a small candy bar mixed in with our dessert buffet. My FI mom is a pastry chef.  I more or less said, "Whatever makes you happy, don't break your back or bank account going buckwild on desserts," but I know she will, which is fine.

Our theme is a vintage/rustic style. We are doing mason jars with handles for drinking glasses, so at the end of the night you can take that home with you too.

We love to every now and then buy scratch off lottery tickets.  We never really win, but it's something that him and I enjoy doing evey now and then, so we are going to buy $1 lottery tickets and go to the bank to get new rolls of 2013 pennies and every guest will have an opportunity to win some cash at our wedding.  (It's a barn venue, it's okay to have them there, we checked it out in advance).  On the little envelope it'll say; "Wishing you riches, from the new Mr. and Mrs."

We figured, with all of the candles, matchbooks, golf tees, etc. that we have from weddings and showers and anything else, let's give someone the opportunity to win some $.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • WOW -- you ladies have some incredibly creative ideas!! Limoncello is a very fun idea! I can imagine that adorable labels with purple writing or a purple ribbon would tie (pun intended) the favor of perfectly. AWESOME! Love the mason jar and lotto ticket ideas, too!

We are having a rustic romance wedding wih sailing elements woven in (we are sailors and the wedding is on the water - trying to get creative to tie this altogether in a not-tacky way lol)! Like many have done recently, we may bottle a couple our favors. We will probably use a recipe for jam (using Pacifici Northwest berries) from my fiance's family and my grandmother's (who recently passed away) recipe for mustard pickles.

The one thing I know I don't want to do is any kind of monogrammed keepsake -- I have thrown away too many monogrammed shot glasses and keychains from weddings I've been to in the past...most people can appreciate a snack though! And...if there are leftovers, I'll eat them myself!
  • I LOVE the limoncello idea!!!  After reading this I'm going to look into doing something similiar.
    Soon to be Mrs. Guidi Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards