Louisiana-New Orleans

wedding music - to band or not to band?

We're planning our NOLA October wedding and we are stuck on wedding music.  I'm an out of town bride planning from Los Angeles with a very music conscious wedding guest list ... So it must be great! :smile:   Any help from anyone that has recommendations for wedding bands, second line bands and djs?  And any idea of costs would be great - I hoping this won't be a budget breaker.  

Re: wedding music - to band or not to band?

• missmagnoliamissmagnolia member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2015
    For my ceremony and second line I'm using Harry Hardin and New Orleans Finest Musicians. Harry put together a trio for the ceremony and then a brass trio for the second line to the reception. He was very helpful and accommodating. It was $800 for the ceremony trio and $600 for the second line. (My second line is taking place within my venue so I didn't need any permitting or anything like that - usually second lines are more expensive than this.) 

For my reception I booked a local jazz-style band Ingrid Lucia and the Flying Neutrinos. I booked through White Oak Productions (Molly Maldovan was my contact there.) It was $3600 for a 5-piece band for three hours which seemed to be about the average price, though I think the more popular cover bands are more expensive.

PS - I'm also in October on 10/15! What is your date? 

• No suggestions,  but I'm planning a 10/22/16 wedding from Los Angeles! It's so hard to plan from this far away! 
  • Hi! I used to live in New Orleans and am actually in the middle of planning my October wedding there, as well. 

I would really recommend a brass band, it's just so uniquely New Orleans and will make for great pictures! However, if you decide to go the DJ route, one of my closest friends is actually a DJ in the city. I personally think he's pretty amazing, but I'm probably biased haha. Anyway here are some links if you're interested! 

http://www.itsdjg.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/IITSDJG/
  • @Knottie1440384373 I'm not sure on price, but I can tell you that any wedding I've worked or any event I've seen them at, The Phunky Monkeys rocked it!  I personally had a DJ, but from what you described, I think a band like them would definitely be up your alley!

You'll save money by hiring a DJ, however.  If you choose a DJ, look into Omega Sound; they're good and fairly well priced.  I've also heard good things about Party-Tyme Productions, and they are also fairly priced.

Hope this helps!  @magnoliabeauty + @Knottie1440384373 I planned my wedding while living in NOLA and it was still hard!  I had just moved to the area though, so finding resources was difficult.  But even with visiting venues and going to vendor appointments, it was challenging!  You guys can PM if you need more help or want suggestions.  I'm always happy to help someone else so they don't have to go through what I went through!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards