Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Europe in November!

Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to see if anyone had any "must-sees" for Europe in November. We plan on getting a eurail global pass and figured I'd ask around for some ideas!  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Europe in November!

• Options
    I should have looked further down - I just saw the thread about Europe! Don't feel the need to duplicate if you responded to that with some ideas - I'll check that out too. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    How long are you going to have to explore? There is so much to do! And what type of things are you looking for. The previous post was about a bride on a budget. So if you have a little extra money there will probably be really different responses.

There is so much to do and see in Europe. We absolutely loved London. My friend lives in North England and he loves it. I also hear amazing things about Prague and Berlin. Let us know some more information and hopefully we can help you. :-)

• Options
    edited March 2013
    We were planning on going over Thanksgiving, as we have done in the past. We may not go now because of moving. However,we target our November trips around Christmas markets! One year, we went to London and just enjoyed the lights and shopping. This year, we were planning on Budapest, Bratislavia, Vienna,and Salzburg, as they all have markets. Now, with the house change, we may still go, but we'll probably just go to Brussels. If you want to explore the markets, you must go in late November. Many markets do open until the last week in Nov.

• Options
    for how long? which cities/towns/countries/areas are must sees for you? interests? dislikes?

• Options
    I've been to 12? countries in Europe in 5 trips. Give us more info and we can better suggest things.
  • Options
    Thanks!! We are going to be going for three full weeks - so probably leaving the Tuesday after our wedding (end of October) and coming back a week before thanksgiving..that's the general timeframe. We love wine, beer, good food and off the beaten path finds (i.e. we can sit at one place all night and just people watch). We also love chef's tastings! I've been to Austria and absolutely adored it! He's been to Amsterdam, Ireland and Germany. We know that we want to go to Ireland - would potentially like to go to Greece if possible - but really are pretty open to ideas! Figured we would do a variety of accommodations - b&b, hotel, etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    3 weeks is about right to really see Spain - I'd do 5-7 days in the Madrid area/Salamanca, then train down to Andalusia - Seville, Cordoba, Granada, Malaga, Ronda, etc. - then a week in Barcelona/Valencia.  You can basically make a circle by train from Madrid to Barcelona by heading south and hitting those other towns in between.  I'd fly into Madrid and out of Barcelona.  Or vice versa.

The weather in Spain that time of year will be perfect.  You may even be able to get some beach/sunbathing time down in Andalusia.

If you've never thought about Spain, type the names of those cities into Google images and see how incredible it looks.

I'll also say that 3 weeks is about perfect for Turkey if you like ruins - Istanbul takes 4-5 days, then you can road trip down the coast and hit Gallipoli, Troy, Pergamum, Ephesus, Pamakkule, etc.  

The beches in southern Turkey may still be warm that time of year.  

And then everybody's favorite region is Capaddocia - that needs at least 3-4 days to really enjoy it.  You can take a hot air balloon flight, and it's one of the best places in the world for that.  The hittites carved cities into the stone for protection, and you can still stay in a luxury cave hotel.  

Bonus: Turkey is ridiculously cheap.  Flights between cities are about $35-$50, and you can find a kick-ass hotel for under $150/night if you do your research on tripadvisor.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    London. Pre-holiday time is absolutely magical.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Ohhh three weeks in Europe. That sounds fantastic. If I were you I would want to hop around a little and not stay in one city or country the entire time. That is jut me though. I like to get a taste of different cultures and experiences.

Greece and Ireland are a bit far apart though. I would stick to one general part of Europe or at least go in a line. If that makes sense.
    So like a week in Ireland, 5 days in London 5 days in Paris and maybe a couple in Amsterdam. Something like that? Or if you want to do Greece you could do several days in greece and then travel across Italy too and spend some time in their different regions. I think in reality it depends on what you are interested int.

I noticed you still didn't put a budget but I am guessing you have a decent budget if you are planning on spending a bit here and there so you can pretty much do whatever you want.

We went to London and Rome on our honeymoon and that is the only places we have been in Europe but I really liked the website EuropeanDestinations.com because they have sample itineraries for different cities, countries, etc. It might give you some ideas on where you could go and some ideas you might not have thought of. Or if you find a travel agent that specializes in Europe. But it seems like you guys are just looking for some ideas now and will use that to narrow it down.
    Hope we helped!

• Options
    If you want off the beaten path go to Estonia. It's lovely, safe, and they use the Euro now too (I went about 5 years ago before they had the Euro). The capital city Tallinn is a beautiful medieval walled city much like some medieval German towns, the university city Tartu to the south is also nice, but my absolute favourite was the western islands: Kuressaare, also a medieval town, complete with moated castle (I'm biased towards history and medieval stuff, can you tell?), is wonderful and the people are really friendly. It might be tricky to get around by train, but I'd still recommend the country.
  • Options
    Thank you so much!! I now feel like I have a little bit of direction of places to go based on what we are looking for.  I definitely will be reaching out and researching European Destinations.  I was also concerned that we were trying to squeeze too much into too little time - and I think that FI and I just need to sit down and hash out the "must sees" and plan around that.  As for budget - we realize that we aren't going to really get the opportunity to take THREE weeks off from work at the SAME time - so we are going to definitely treat ourselves to a nice trip :).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We spent 18 days in Amsterdam, Paris, Barcelona and London; a bit spread out but it was worth all of the travel arrangements! (details in blog)

Sounds like a fantastic trip!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_europe-in-november?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:0f009dbd-36a2-434b-a60f-3abbd37a97faPost:a9b38d28-4942-462d-8368-90267c66333a">Re: Europe in November!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We spent 18 days in Amsterdam, Paris, Barcelona and London; a bit spread out but it was worth all of the travel arrangements! (details in blog) Sounds like a fantastic trip!
    Posted by hz80408[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks - your blog is great!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards