Plus-Sized

Dress or suit?

edited February 2016 in Plus-Sized
I'm US size 28-32, depending on style, and 5'10". I was considering a navy blue pants and blazer combination with a dress shirt and bow tie, but I spotted a couple of dresses I liked online.

I'm a week shy of 41 and look like death warmed over in all white, so I'm not wearing a white dress. I'm also slightly obsessed with folklore (and maybe a touch superstitious), so I want to wear blue.

These are the pants and jacket I was considering:

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/jackets/a-chic-start-pants-in-navy
http://www.modcloth.com/shop/blazers-vests/academia-ahoy-blazer-in-navy

One of the dresses (FW liked this one best):

https://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/plus-size-dresses/sailor-swing-blue-plus.html

This is the one I prefer:

http://www.eshakti.com/shop/Dresses/Chelsea-dress-CL0037916

I would be wearing this over either of the dresses, because I despise my upper arms.

http://www.eshakti.com/shop/Tops/Graphic-lace-front-placket-blouse-CL0037900

If it helps, I'm fair-skinned but flush easily, with greying medium brown hair (that will probably be dyed dark brown or black for the wedding) and brown eyes.

Re: Dress or suit?

• May not be the most helpful comment for making a decision, but I really do like all these looks! I think it will come down to what you feel most comfortable and "you" in -- that's really all that matters! If you feel great, you will look great. :) 

I think I read in another post your FW's dress is off-white, right? If that were the case, it might be best to go with the dress that's just navy so the white trim on your dress and off-white of hers don't clash too much. However, I'm not sure that it's a real deal-breaker or faux pas. Above all, to thine own self be true, I say. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thank you! FW is wearing an off-white dress -- good point about the contrast.

I also really like this dress (again with the blouse over it):

https://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/heidi-royal-blue-plus.html

• That one is such a fun shade of blue -- it really stands out in a vibrant and happy way! And it's a super cute design! I really like it!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  •  @tigerlily6

Thank you! I'm really partial to that one too. Truth be told, I also like the sailor swing dress, but I'm concerned about having enough support up top. I may need to have cups sewn in -- easier to do that than to hunt down a strapless bra in my size.
  • Is it possible to order some of thsse to try and send back what you don't like? Without trying it may be tricky to get a feel for what you feel most like 'you' for the day. Have a fashion show with fi (if you guys are happy to see each others outfits beforehand that is!) and see what comes out on top.

• Is it possible to order some of thsse to try and send back what you don't like? Without trying it may be tricky to get a feel for what you feel most like 'you' for the day. Have a fashion show with fi (if you guys are happy to see each others outfits beforehand that is!) and see what comes out on top.
    It would be a bit pricey, but if it would be worth it in the end, I'll definitely try it.

FI has her dress picked out. I can't post the link from my phone, but it's the Grace dress from eShakti in off-white.
    It would be a bit pricey, but if it would be worth it in the end, I'll definitely try it.

FI has her dress picked out. I can't post the link from my phone, but it's the Grace dress from eShakti in off-white.
    TBH you could probably order one or two at a time and return asap if its not "the one", that might be a little bit easier to swallow financially.

• I was going to recommend the same thing as @glasgowtolondon. I wanted to add that I LOVE the blouse you're planning. 

Mmy vote would be either for the royal blue or the navy. The royal looks like it will give you more of the sailor cut that the one your FW likes, but with more support. I'd also be worried the white trim would not fit well with the blouse. Matching whites (or off whites) is hard. 

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them!
  • I was going to recommend the same thing as @glasgowtolondon. I wanted to add that I LOVE the blouse you're planning. 

Mmy vote would be either for the royal blue or the navy. The royal looks like it will give you more of the sailor cut that the one your FW likes, but with more support. I'd also be worried the white trim would not fit well with the blouse. Matching whites (or off whites) is hard. 

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them!
    Thanks @charlotte989875! I was so happy to find that blouse.
  • My thought is there are lots of dresses/gowns out there in blue that you'd look wonderful in!!!  For whatever reason I'm NAF of the suit combo..  What about going to David's?  I got my Anniversary dress similar to the style of dress you posted that you like best there and was able to try on many options in my size.  That's one thing I will give them is they do carry dresses in stock in the larger-end of the plus spectrum.  It's about YOU feeling your best that day!
  • That sailor ish dress is adorable!
  • I love the sailor dress!!! I'm not at all a fan of the second dress. 

If you really want to,go nuts, sailor dress for ceremony suit for reception.

• edited March 2016
    I checked the measurements on the navy sailor dress. It won't fit.  :( The royal blue one (the third dress I posted) is cut differently and will fit, and I found a couple other dresses on eShakti that I like. I'll post links when I'm on the computer.
  • edited March 2016
    FW changed her mind about the dress and wants to wear something more traditional. Totally cool with me, but now I feel like I should wear either a suit or a more bridesmaid-ish dress. Her build and mine are different; we're the same height, but she wears a US 16, so I won't be wearing an identical dress.

• That doesn't take away from you getting to wear the gown YOU want on your wedding day though!  You shouldn't sacrifice a gorgeous gown - and there are gowns out there that you'll look like a million bucks in!  You go shopping and she goes shopping - you both choose something you're in love with wearing just as much as eachother. 
  • UO here but I actually like the suit better! I think with your frame it will make you look absolutely divine!

• Go with what you love & feel comfortable in. If you are happy with how you look it will add to your happiness of the day & be reflected in your photos.
  • edited April 2016
    Thanks everyone! I decided to go with a pantsuit, most likely navy, but I was also looking at them in gray, ivory, and French blue.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards