Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Hair and makeup for out of state wedding

My fiance and I are looking to plan our wedding out of state, summer 2017.  The location is about a 7 hour drive from where we live, so not SUPER easy to get to.  
How does anyone find a good hair and makeup vendor for the big day when there isn't a lot offered in the location we are choosing?  Do people pay for someone to travel typically?

Re: Hair and makeup for out of state wedding

• Options
    flantasticflantastic member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2016
    My fiance and I are looking to plan our wedding out of state, summer 2017.  The location is about a 7 hour drive from where we live, so not SUPER easy to get to.  
    How does anyone find a good hair and makeup vendor for the big day when there isn't a lot offered in the location we are choosing?  Do people pay for someone to travel typically?
    If you know you don't want anyone from the area that your wedding is being held in, then to the bolded: Yes and no, primarily yes. You don't have to offer to book the person's flight. However, the vendor will tell you either A ) they cannot travel that far, or B ) X is their travel fee for traveling that far, and then it is their responsibility to get themselves to the agreed-upon location.

I just looked up and made my best guess for good vendors in the area we were getting married, and did trials when I was visiting to plan other things.
  • Options

I got married on a remote island in Australia with no guests. There was no choice but to helicopter someone in if I wanted any services. Even then, the resort was run on solar and battery, so I couldn't have anything done that required power (hair dryer, curler, etc). My choice was to pay for someone's services plus accommodations and the $750/person helicopter ride or learn to do it myself. I chose to do it myself. I had a few trials with my local hair stylist, to ensure I knew what to do and had the right products. For makeup, I went to the Chanel counter at Saks, picked out a color palette and had their makeup artist teach me how to apply the makeup (plus I got to see what it looked like on!). I then purchased all of the appropriate products.

I know it's not ideal to do yourself, but it worked out for me. Otherwise, I recommend finding someone who is willing to travel. Most people will require you to buy their ticket/rooms plus pay for the service. However, depending on the location, some vendors may cut you a break because they may want the experience of going to that destination.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards