Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Destination wedding dilemma

I am in need of some serious unbiased perspective on a situation I am having with planning my wedding. I am going to keep the details as short and to the point as possible. My finace and I decided initially we wanted to have a destination wedding. My fiancé knew that none of his siblings would be attending but he was ok with that as long as his parents come. My parents are paying for everything and we really don’t have a budget but I don’t want things to get out of hand with the spending, so Mexico was the perfect option….until we told my finace’s parents about the plan. His father immediately said they would not be going anywhere that required them to fly. So basically, if you have the wedding in Mexico we aren’t coming…end of story. My fiancé and I were upset because we want them to be there. So we then decided to have the wedding in Florida which would give everyone about a 10 hour drive to make it. I will add this, the Florida wedding would be double, if not triple, what it would be for us to have it in Mexico but my parents were ok with that. When we gave this news to his parents his mother was very supportive and excited but his father immediately became negative and said that none of my finace’s siblings would be able to come because they couldn’t afford it(even though they have over a year to save up for it). After thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that there is no way I am going to allow my parent’s to pay that much more money for us to accommodate his family and his dad continue to be so rude and negative. So here we are now… I am wanting to go back to the original plan and have the wedding in Mexico, his parents have over a year to make up their mind about coming but at the end of the day this was our favorite idea and I think they should be supportive of that. My biggest concern is my future in laws resenting me and my fiancé resenting me. But at this point I am beginning to resent them. What should my next move be?

Best Answers

Re: Destination wedding dilemma

• Options
    Thank you all for the advice. Some of it was hard to swallow but that was the whole reason I posted this on here, to get completely honest opinions. Bottom line I've been selfish so thanks for helping me get over myself and realize what's truly important here!
    Way to go!  I think I like you.  You should change your screen name and stick around.  We like weddings around here, it's why we're here.  We'd love to help you plan something that will make you, your fiance, and both your families happy.  Let us help.  Ask more questions.
  • Options
    Good for you knottie bunch of numbers.  (change your screen name so we can recognize you).  Stick around.  It takes some backbone to hear constructive criticism and see that you might not be walking down the right path.

Let us know what you and FI decide.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the advice. Some of it was hard to swallow but that was the whole reason I posted this on here, to get completely honest opinions. Bottom line I've been selfish so thanks for helping me get over myself and realize what's truly important here!

Thank you for taking this so well. I'm not very good at sugarcoating anything and we're known here to be blunt. I know it can be heard to "hear" but we really mean the best.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    Good for you!

Wherever you opt to get married, please look into the requirements for it.   Your guests deserve to see you actually get married. 

Beyond that, if you love Mexico then go there.   On your honeymoon.   I don't know about you but I'd rather have my family with me for ONE DAY then to have to wake up and eat with them for days.

I've had this conversation with FH.  Him; what if I want to get married in a tropical location?  Me; you really want to vacation with both our families?  Why don't we have a local wedding with everyone, then go to the tropical location Just The Two Of Us!!!?  We're not in the planning stages yet (not technically engaged at all), but I know I think about it more, and he's starting to see my point.
  • Options
    I marked this as an answer, bc you deserve a badge for such a mature and rational response! Go you! :+1: 
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards