Chit Chat
Options

Birthday gift for 16 year old

My goddaughter will be 16 this year, and I have no idea what to get her. Anyone know what 16 year olds think is cool these days? I know I could just ask her, but I'd like some element of surprise. Thanks!

Re: Birthday gift for 16 year old

• Options
    what types of things is she into? art/music/fashion/sports/gaming/etc
  • Options
    I would ask her parents what she is into. At 16 I feel like teens are on all different levels and finding out what they like so it's hard to say what a typical 16 year old would like. A car definitely, haha.

Maybe surprise her with a shopping spree? Full day of pampering and spa treatment?

• Options
    It depends on what she likes. I would shop for a 16 year old the same way I would shop for one of my friends (minus the alcohol). In fact, I shop for my 16 year old brother the way I do for my FI and step-dad, by interests.
  • Options
    emmaaa said:
    I would ask her parents what she is into. At 16 I feel like teens are on all different levels and finding out what they like so it's hard to say what a typical 16 year old would like. A car definitely, haha.

Maybe surprise her with a shopping spree? Full day of pampering and spa treatment?
    She lives too far away for a pampering day, but maybe movie gift certificates and some candy? She could drive herself there ;)
  • Options
    Movie gift certificates would be good!  
  • Options
    Any gift card for one of her interests.
  • Options
    A makeup palette from Sephora?

Gift cards are always liked at that age..movies, iTunes, Starbucks, etc. You could get a personalized tumbler and put some cards in it.

If she's sportier, luluemon headbands are all the rage here, and the headbands won't break the bank lol.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    cgss11 said:
    Gift cards are always liked at that age..movies, iTunes, Starbucks, etc. You could get a personalized tumbler and put some cards in it. 

SITB

Or travel mug, water bottle, etc. 
  • Options
    I would definitely recommend asking her parents what she's into, and if there is anything specific they know she wants that is in your price range, go with that. If they are vague, I would stick with a gift card to a store she likes/activity she is in to, since I have found that shopping for teens can be somewhat hit or miss if you are not 100% sure of what they want.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My daughter loves Starbucks or,Hot Topic gift cards or anything from LUSH. Her interests can differ a lot from her friends so it is hard to pin something down. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I think gift cards might be the way to go. Teenagers can be so picky!
  • Options
    emmaaa said:

This.  Turns out my 16 y.o. niece is really into Vera Bradley stuff.  I was like "The same Vera Bradley my mom likes???"  Never would have guessed, but we sent her one of her makeup bags and she was thrilled.
  • Options

What we're doing for our Goddaughters is we're giving them a piece at a time good silverware set (Oneida)...  Along those lines depending on if she's college-bound you could start getting her things she'll need for dorm/apartment life (comforter set, plates/dishes/glasses/utensils, pots & pans, luggage, etc.) and explain that it's what you're doing.. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards