Wedding Etiquette Forum

what should i do?!

im not a fan of my friend's on/off bf. 
do i HAVE to invite him if they're still together when the time comes if it makes me uncomfortable? 

also- is it necessary to allow guests 18+ to bring a date? my fiance and i want to keep costs down and we really only want close friends, family & colleagues with us! 

i know it's my day and in the end i have the final say, but any advice would be great!
Thanks!!! 

Best Answers

• Answer ✓
     i know im sounding fussy and what not, but trust me- i appreciate all the advice!!
    thanks!! 

We hope it helped! 

Re: what should i do?!

• im not a fan of my friend's on/off bf. 
    do i HAVE to invite him if they're still together when the time comes if it makes me uncomfortable? 

also- is it necessary to allow guests 18+ to bring a date? my fiance and i want to keep costs down and we really only want close friends, family & colleagues with us! 

i know it's my day and in the end i have the final say, but any advice would be great!
    Thanks!!! 
    If someone who is 18 or older when you are sending out invitations has a significant other at the time you are addressing your invitations, you must invite them together by name as they are a social unit.

You are correct that at the end of the day no one can make you do anything but is it worth alienating people you feel close enough to invite to witness you permanently attaching yourself to another human being by not inviting their significant other?  Especially because you didn't invite their person because you wanted to save a couple bucks and that was more important to you.  I think anyone who would do that isn't much of a friend at all.
  • on/off relationship = SO?! not in my mind! 
    besides, my friend's m&d are def invited and i know too well they don't like him either!
    besides, my friend's m&d are def invited and i know too well they don't like him either!
    Who cares whether you think on/off equals a significant other. It's not for you to decide who is a social unit and who is not. If this couple are 'on' when invites go out, then clearly THEY see each other as their SO. Feel free to do as you please, as I suspect this isn't  the answer you want, but you can never say you didn't realise it is rude to only invite half of a partnership.

Also, the reason you want to be incredibly rude to your friend is because you, and your friends 'm&d' don't like him? Quit acting like this is high school. 

• If your friend considers her on-off boyfriend her SO, then he needs to be invited. It is not up to you what makes SO and what doesn't. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • scrunchythiefscrunchythief member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2016
    on/off relationship = SO?! not in my mind! 
    At what point does on/off become a SO?  DH and I had a few on/off periods while dating; now we're married with a baby.  How can you tell that this on period won't last?
    If it was up to you then your friend wouldn't be doing what she wanted would she??

If they're together he gets invited.  

He may be no prize but not liking him isn't a reason to dishonor your friend.   
  •  i know im sounding fussy and what not, but trust me- i appreciate all the advice!!
    thanks!! 

•  i know im sounding fussy and what not, but trust me- i appreciate all the advice!!
    thanks!! 

You're not sounding fussy at all!  But you are sounding judgmental and rude. 

You asked for advice and appear now to be dismissing it because it wasn't the advice you were looking for........"on/off relationship = SO?! not in my mind! 
    besides, my friend's m&d are def invited and i know too well they don't like him either."

You do not have to sit your friend and her SO near her parents.  Problem solved.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards