Chit Chat

is this real life?

I went to the At&t store today to get a new phone, and my husband happened to overhear a bizarre conversation.  

We happened to be sitting near an old guy who was needing help with his phone or plan or something, and when the clerk asked him why he bought two phones, he said the other was for his fiancee in the Philippines.  I heard that part, and thought, "How sweet, this old man has a fiancee."

But then I didn't hear anymore since I was talking to the saleswoman.  My husband said the guy went on to explain how "They have so many pretty girls in the Philippines dying to get out of the country."  Apparently his fiancee is 19, and he is 72.  He said he really wants more kids, so he's going to bring her here and "see how things go".  "If things work out", he wants them to have some children.

o_O

Don't get me wrong.... I'm not judging people with big age differences, and if you find someone you truly love and want to make a commitment to that is a lot older or younger, then who am I to judge?  But this situation just sounded like an old guy looking for a young, hot, baby maker.  Weird.

Of course, maybe he made it all up.  Or we were on some reality prank show or something.

Any weird stories lately?

SaveSave

Re: is this real life?

• That's....interesting....
    Sounds very "mail order", but hopefully there is more to it than that. Hopefully they have communicated online and actually like each other, and he treats her well. It does seem like they are both on the same page about what each person is getting out of the arrangement.

I've got nothing for you ;).
  • My future in laws visited the Phillipines and apparently it's slightly common there. I would totally believe that what you overheard was true. I feel bad for that woman. 
  • I'm sure it is true for some people, but it was really weird that he would just share all this with the poor AT&T guy.  I'm sure that guy was like, "Hmm... anyways...."

SaveSave
  • Also, I can't help but feel sorry for children born to a man who is 70+.  Maybe he's super healthy and will live to 100, who knows.  But there's a good chance they won't know their dad growing up.

SaveSave
  • Is she real?   I would wonder if it's something set for a Chris Hanson investigation.  

I can't imagine my dad being a new dad.     Not gonna do it!
  • Yeah this sounds like a mail order bride kind of thing. That's such a weird thing to be telling the poor AT&T guy. 

Unfortunately I don't have any "is this real life?" stories today, which is weird considering I went to Walmart this morning. 

• I can continue one, from the fun I've been having a the cheer competition this weekend.  One parent commented that it's been so hard to get her daughter to competitions, cos they're 7th Day Adventist, and Saturday is their day of rest and she's not supposed to do anything on Saturdays except go to church.  Every cheer competition is on a Saturday morning.  She's known this since the second week of September when I sent home the information at tryouts for competition dates.  If you can't do anything on Saturdays, why are you putting your kid in a sport where she needs to compete EVERY SATURDAY!!!!  Especially one where she can't be replaced if she can't make it.  It's been a WTF weekend for me.  

• Is this just fantasy?

Sorry couldn't help it ;)

• I know a guy who's 79, and moved to the Philippines a few years ago. He's very active and tech-savvy for his age, and I still see what he's up to on facebook. I saw pictures pop up after awhile of him and a very young looking girl, turns out she's maybe of college age? To his credit, I'm pretty sure this guy made a deal with the devil because when I first met him he was in his early 70s but looked like he was MAYBE 50. The man didn't have a wrinkle on his face. When I found out his real age I didn't believe him to the point that he had to show me his driver's license before I believed him. Anyway, I thought his relationship was super weird and creepy (I think they're actually engaged now) but I guess it's not all that uncommon. 
  • Well, this guy definitely looked 72, but hopefully he's got a great personality, and will treat this woman well.

SaveSave
  • My grandpa had a girlfriend in the Philippines.

When he was stationed there in WWII. I always thought it was funny and sweet that Grammy kept her picture in the cedar chest.
  • I have a story to share with the class now.

I work in the loan operations department at a bank. The particular kind of loans that I work on has a whole team made up of people from different departments contributing. The bank decided to create a group email to make it easier for people who may have questions. We are all supposed to read the emails, and if the question applies to our area of expertise, we are supposed to answer.

Seems simple, right???

Everyone on the team manages to do it correctly except for one guy. You know the type- he thinks his position is more important than the rest of ours (it isn't) and he's far more busy than everyone else, blah blah blah (he's not).

He had the nerve to approach me a week or two ago and ask if I would start calling or IM'ing him to let him know when there is an email he needs to read and respond to because, in his actual words, "I'm way to busy to read all of those emails. Besides, why should I?"

WHAT?????????????????????? I almost literally went BSC on him.

Of course I am not doing that. No no no no NO. I am not his secretary. Not happening. I wish I'd been a fly on the wall, because I'm sure my face was like:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards