Wedding Etiquette Forum

What to do? Bridal Shower with Adult Coloring activity?

Hello all, this is my first time posting to the discussion boards here on the knot. My brother is getting married in June 2016. My future sister in law's mother is of course helping with her daughters bridal shower. She says she does not want the "typical" bridal shower games and that she would like to do some sort of adult coloring activity. She suggested a thank you card that the guests can color. I was thinking along the lines of getting a puzzle, give each guest 5 pieces to color their own way and then either give to the bride as a gift to put together after the wedding OR one of the bridesmaids (probably me) to put together and frame and give to them on their wedding day with the date engraved at the bottom. I am looking for suggestions to this idea? I am not sure if a coloring puzzle even exists? Or that you could even color on a puzzle with colored pencils? I imagine you would need markers and I see that turning into a smeary mess. Any input or suggestions would be extremely helpful.

Re: What to do? Bridal Shower with Adult Coloring activity?

• Do people use the colouring books as a social activity? I know they are popular now, but I kind of thought they were for nice alone time, to zen out, rather than at a party.

I like the idea of the puzzle, that's kind of cute. I think you can get puzzles custom made and you would just have it blank. I don't think pencils would work, so you'd need some sort of marker. Sharpies might be good for that, less smear.

• OliveOilsMomOliveOilsMom member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    kimmy1688 said:
    Hello all, this is my first time posting to the discussion boards here on the knot. My brother is getting married in June 2016. My future sister in law's mother is of course helping with her daughters bridal shower. She says she does not want the "typical" bridal shower games and that she would like to do some sort of adult coloring activity. She suggested a thank you card that the guests can color. I was thinking along the lines of getting a puzzle, give each guest 5 pieces to color their own way and then either give to the bride as a gift to put together after the wedding OR one of the bridesmaids (probably me) to put together and frame and give to them on their wedding day with the date engraved at the bottom. I am looking for suggestions to this idea? I am not sure if a coloring puzzle even exists? Or that you could even color on a puzzle with colored pencils? I imagine you would need markers and I see that turning into a smeary mess. Any input or suggestions would be extremely helpful.

When it comes to bridal shower games, I think there still needs to be a social aspect to them.  Having guests sitting and coloring doesn't sound like very much fun to me.  And as the bride, I can't see myself hanging up that framed puzzle in my home.

What does your FSIL want for her shower?  You only mentioned her mom.  I would go along with what the bride wants.  If the bride wants any games, ask her what games she likes.  The bride may want no games at all.  I feel like FSIL's mom just wants to go crazy for this shower.  Make sure she pays for all the crazy.  This shouldn't be put on your or other BMs shoulders.

ETA: changed word to negative

• And ditto PP.  I would be very put off having to color my own thank you note.
  • The guests should have nothing to do with their own thank you notes.   These aren't pap smear results.

I'm honestly not a big fan of the coloring.   The point of the adult coloring IMO is to be fun and alone.   I don't really see it as social.

Instead of something like that, what about a dessert bar?  Fondue?  
  • It's a "know your crowd" thing...  If all of the guests on that side routinely plan and go on scrapbooking weekends together, that's one thing..  For those who aren't the artistic types - I can see this being worse than making toilet paper bridal gowns... The least obnoxious of the two would be the puzzle piece as a guest book for each guest to decorate that is put together later on. 
  • banana468 said:
    The guests should have nothing to do with their own thank you notes.   These aren't pap smear results.

I'm honestly not a big fan of the coloring.   The point of the adult coloring IMO is to be fun and alone.   I don't really see it as social.

Instead of something like that, what about a dessert bar?  Fondue?  
    I think food-related activities are the best!  Fondue, taco bar, even s'mores (if it's in the summer) would all be fun.  I've done top-your-own-pizza and decorate-your-own-cookie when I get together with my girls, but I wouldn't recommend any sort of cookie making with a large group as everyone's fingers will inevitably get in the toppings and you'll also be left with a huge, frosting-and-sprinkle related mess.  

If she actually likes the coloring/puzzle idea, she could order a custom puzzle with a pic of bride and groom, then have guests write notes to the couple on the plain back of the puzzle, so as they put it together they read thoughts from their friends.  That would be an easy thing to have on a side table, with a quick announcement "feel free to sign the B&G's puzzle portrait" or something. And they do make "adult coloring" puzzles; they're normally mandalas, but they would look really ugly if a different person colored each piece.  And I agree, coloring is not really a group activity (at least outside of my college dorm).  
  • Guests should not be involved in creating, writing, or addressing thank-you notes.

Beyond that, I agree with the PP that the "adult coloring book" seems to be a "know your crowd" sort of thing.  If the shower guests are likely to actually enjoy it, then I don't see why you couldn't do it. 

And I agree with the hostess about the "typical" shower games.  Games aren't necessary at a shower.
  • I have a coloring book in my lap right now ... in my house working from home.  I think the puzzle idea is cool, though.
  • Ok, if you are going to do something puzzle-related, you should START with it put together, blank, and then let everyone write a message/draw/color on it, without the bride seeing. Once it's done, take it all apart and give it to the bride to put back together at a later time. Giving each person five pieces to color won't make any sense when it's put together, and it would be damn near impossible to put together anyway (since usually when you do puzzles you look for identifying marks on pieces that go together). You can get blank puzzles on Amazon (clicky).

But personally, I am not an activity-joiner, so I would prefer if there was just good food and booze instead of mandatory games.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Found this:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XKLLKSW?psc=1

I like the idea of each guest writing or drawing something different - a doodle, a bit of advice, whatever they like.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • I absolutely love colouring but I wouldn't want to colour at a shower. I like the idea of a no pressure puzzle that is assembled and then guests can write a nice message (or draw a picture if they really wanted to). I love shower games, but I'm very aware that lots of people don't like them or feel pressured into participating.
  • Coloring is awesome, but I think it's more of a me time kind of thing than a party activity. 

Do you really need games at all?
  • kimmy1688 said:
    I think drinking, eating and watching the bride open presents are sufficient bridal shower activities. Anything else usually feels forced! 

But I'd like to reiterate what PPs have said about guests coloring thank-you notes. Don't do this! Guests should have no involvement with their thank-you note, including not addressing their own envelope. Thank-you notes should be written and addressed by the bride after the shower. I would majorly side-eye having to address my own thank-you card... its okay for me to spend time/money to give a gift, but it's too much effort for the bride to write my address on an envelope?!
    --

• I hate forced fun at showers. I like the puzzle idea, but I would just offer it if people would like to do it. Please don't insist that the guests must participate. And please, please don't make the guests have anything to do with their own thank you cards. That is so tacky. 
  • Second/Third/Fourth/Fifthed on the thank you cards. I attended a shower where I had to address my own envelope. My thank you note arrived 6 months later with one of those generic picture postcards inside and no additional note. Just, no. 

Re: coloring. I like coloring and being creative, but I hate when I am forced to do something creative on command like that. It stresses me out. I'd rather it be an option that I could choose to do rather than something everyone is forced into. A puzzle would only look good (and be solvable) if everyone coordinated their coloring, and that just seems like a hassle. I say forego the games and just eat/drink/mingle. 

• Honestly when it comes to showers I am happy to show up, chat with the people at my table, eat a piece of cake, and watch the bride open her gifts.

Games aren't necessary but I understand that the bride's mother may insist.  I think the puzzle sounds like a nice idea, but you may not have full participation.  You may be able to buy a plain puzzle, and I agree about markers probably working best.  

No to the thank you cards, would everyone be decorating their own thank you card? It's hard, some people are really talented in that regard and may appreciate the activity.  I'm not, so if I were required to draw and color something it would be a smiley sunshine, or a poorly drawn flower, and call it a day.
  • No to coloring...especially anything to do with a thank you card!  That is a truly strange idea!  As others have said, the only thing I want to do at a shower is eat, drink, chat a bit, watch the gifts get opened and then get on with my day.  That's it.
  • levioosa said:
    kimmy1688 said:
    Why does this have to be a designated group activity?  Could you just put stuff on the tables for guests to color if they wish? 

I will say this though: having guests color their own thank you cards is kind of rude and tacky.  Guests should have nothing to do with their thank you cards (including having guests write out their own addresses on the envelope).  
    It doesn't make any sense anyway (as anything except laziness, that is). You already have the addresses because all these people are being invited to your wedding and presumably received a shower invitation. Most showers in my area are small, 12-15 people. How lazy can you get?! SO RUDE!!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My favorite part of coloring is relaxing in my robe with a glass of wine and my two little hamsters watching every move I make! 

I'd either skip the coloring or make it optional so if people want to they can and if they don't want to they don't feel pressured. Also I don't know of many people who would want a puzzle colored by other people. I'd probably look at it once and say aww that's sweet and then it'd sit in my basement until we moved and I decided it wasn't worth moving...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If the bride is really into coloring, I could see having coloring sheets and markers/colored pencils on the tables at the shower. Maybe even in a guest book type of way (like, instructions to color your page and sign your name as a guest book for the bride). It would of course be totally optional, and not something given slotted activity time! 

My hesitation is that finding something like this on the tables at a shower gives the message to the guests that you are expecting a quiet, seated event with no mingling. If you are expecting a shower that involves socializing and mingling and moving around, I'd avoid any activites that involve a paper and writing utensil. 
  • You can just have a coloring page at each place setting but not make it like a formal thing that everyone has to do. We did this @ my sisters baby shower with word searches. We didn't announce 'here's a word search, you have to do it', but it was just sitting there if people wanted to do it - & if not, then no big deal. Some did it & some did not.... but it wasn't really part of the 'games' that we had.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love coloring, but I can't imagine sitting there doing it at an adult party together.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I was at a baby shower recently where the host made an announcement that the mom had decided she didn't want games at her shower. The entire room broke out into applause. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards