Not Engaged Yet

AW: Dubai!

I took a whirlwind trip to Dubai to meet up with BF while he was on one of his shorter leaves.  It was a really, really good trip...I got to meet some of his deployment buddies and just generally have a fun weekend.  It was a long trip for not much time together, but anything is better than nothing (and we have no idea when he'll get leave again, because there are a lot of things up in the air right now).

Dubai is the most surreal place I have ever visited.  You're in the Arab world, but the population is 80% expat, so everybody speaks English.  Honestly, it reminded me a lot of NYC.  On our first couple of days, we hung out with his buddies and I partied like I haven't partied in many, many years.  It was a lot of fun, but got exhausting after two solid days because I felt like we weren't getting any alone time (because, well, we weren't).  So the last full day I was there we had a date day...went out to brunch and then to the Dubai Mall (the second-largest mall in the world...it has an aquarium and a dinosaur skeleton and an ice-skating rink and a huge waterfall), then out for drinks/hookah and a nice dinner.  Then we both got on airplanes; I flew home, and he flew to Germany for an interview for a promotion at work.  So, overall verdict...SUPER FAST, but a good trip.

Pictures!

Part of the Dubai skyline.  The huge skinny building on the left is the Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world.  Dubai sort of has fits and spurts of huge skyscrapers--this is one of the areas where the tallest ones are.

One of the strangest, most surreal parts of Dubai is the landscaping.  It is solidly in the desert...but there is grass and flowers and fountains everywhere.  It's amazing what a little oil money can buy.

I had never eaten at a Tim Horton's, but my sisters went to school in western New York and LOVE IT, so of course I ate there and took pictures to send to them.  They are everywhere in Dubai!

The waterfall fountain at the Dubai Mall.  The mall is 4 stories tall, so that gives you an indication of how big this is.

BF and I bonded, many years ago, over a book about camels, so they've sort of become the symbol of our relationship . So of course I took pictures of me with a camel statue and then of the camel trying to give us kisses!

AND, while I was there, something very exciting happened...MY SISTER HAD HER BABY!  I have a niece:

Her name is Rosemary Elisabeth, and she's perfect.  9 lbs, 8.5 oz, 21 3/4 inches long.  Those CHEEKS!

So the other important thing I did at the Dubai Mall was to buy presents for them.  BF was totally on board and told me to buy ALL THE SPARKLY HEADBANDS!

So anyway, it was a super good weekend and I'm all sappy and YAY!

Re: AW: Dubai!

• YAY! I'm sorry it was so short but glad you had such a great time!

Congrats on being an auntie! She is gorgeous (omg those cheeks!!!!) and I love her name! 

• Those pictures are amazing! Glad you had a good time, sorry it was so short. Congrats on becoming an Auntie! She is precious! 
    friends tv show funy
  • What a great trip! Those skyscrapers are amazing. And I just want to squish little Rosemary's cheeks!!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• What a wonderful trip!  Rosemary is adorable!!!
  • Awesome! I was telling H about your trip because I don't do too well on long flights so I was like I don't think I could fly that far for just a few days. And he was like yea but if we didn't see each other for months, I'd definitely do it! So then I'm like well yea, I guess you're right!

Glad you had fun and congrats on your niece, what a sweetie pie!!!!!

• That sucks that it was so short, but it sounds like a fabulous trip! 

And congratulations Auntie!! She's beautiful and omg her cheeks!
  • What a cool trip! I'm glad you got to spend some time with your BF. Congrats on being an aunt! Your niece's cheeks are adorable!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Awww yay! Congrats Auntie!! She is a beautiful baby!
  • Girl, I don't know how you do the long distance thing. It's got to be so hard saying goodbye! You're such a strong person.

The trip sounds like an absolute blast! I'm glad you finally got a date day. And OMG, your niece! Awwwww!

• ^ LOL adorable!

My brother is only 14 months older than me, my mom said he called me "his little pink doll"

• @TwoDimes Callie was 9 lbs and change at her two month appt lol. She is my petite little nugget!
  • @TwoDimes and @southernpeach89 - My sister has huge babies.  My nephew was almost 9, and now my niece is 9+.  I do NOT understand this, because my sister herself is teensy, and my BIL is tall but really thin...

Not that it really matters.  Because THOSE CHEEKS.  Which I am going to snuggle starting tomorrow, because I'm driving up to meet her.  I wasn't going to go, because it's a long drive and means another hotel room, but BF and I were on the phone and he said, "Um...excuse me?  Go."  So Smudge and I are driving up tomorrow after work.
  • minskat30minskat30 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2016
    @futuremrshistorian - Chunky monkey babies are adorable.  I'm biased though since I was a 9lb baby and H was a 10lb baby.  My nephew was "small" at 8lbs but had the rolls of a Buddha baby (that was his nickname actually).  Give Rosemary and all her baby rolls hugs and kisses from us.  ;)
  • Omg the Timmies is hilarious. I had no idea they were in Dubai! Looks like a cool trip. Glad you got to spend some time together!
  • Awesome! I'm jealous of your trip, even if it was only a few days. 

• Yay for all the sparkly headbands and becoming an auntie again!  I loved all the pictures, thanks for sharing!!!  I'm glad you were able to spend some time with your SO.
  • Yay! Glad the trip was great.  Sounds amazing!

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards