Wedding Invitations & Paper

Vow Renewal Invitations.

Weird question I know, and I know it will get a lot of back lash.

What had happened is: My husband is in the military, we had a small civil ceremony. We're having a VCR (vow renewal ceremony). Doing it up big, now with our friends and families before we go to our next duty station.  We are NOT treating it like our civil ceremony didn't happen, it did, I have the pictures to prove it. 

But we're mexicans, so a civil ceremony is basically blasphemy and didn't happen in the eyes of the family. So we'll redo it. Bam! Problem solved.  But as I am doing my research there are all these etiquettes and I fear I am doing to jack them all up. Because this VRC is going to be a wedding. Dress, attendants, flowers, cake, a hall, the whole shebang. 

here's the long winded question: is it John and Jane Doe invite you or can it be Jane and John Doe invite you? or does it depend on the sound of the wording, like of our names strung together? 

I know I took his last name, but I'm older than my husband and my name is before his alphabetically. 

Answers

• Will you be having a religious ceremony, such as a Convalidation in a Catholic Church?

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    All Mexicans have civil ceremonies.  They are required by law.  The church ceremony is in addition to the civil ceremony in Mexico.  Do you mean that you are Catholic?  Many Mexican citizens are not.

Your plans are not appropriate for a vow renewal, or for a convalidation in the Catholic Church.  Vow renewals are not second weddings.  Here is an etiquette guide site that will explain.  You can do what you wish, but be prepared for a lot of criticism. http://www.idotaketwo.com/blog/vow-renewal-etiquette-2/

This would be the wording for a vow renewal that is held in a church.  If you are Catholic, these are not usually allowed.  Convalidations are not big wedding celebrations, and your priest may not approve your plans, especially since you chose to be married in a non-church ceremony.   Be sure and get you plans approved before doing any more planning.

Mr. and Mrs. John James Doe
    request the honour of your presence
    as they reaffirm their marriage vows
    Day, date
    time o'clock
    Church Name
    Address
    City, State

If you insist on using your names instead of your titles, it would be this:  Ms. Jane Doe and Mr. John Doe, on the same line of type.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    Weird question I know, and I know it will get a lot of back lash.

What had happened is: My husband is in the military, we had a small civil ceremony. We're having a VCR (vow renewal ceremony). Doing it up big, now with our friends and families before we go to our next duty station.  We are NOT treating it like our civil ceremony didn't happen, it did, I have the pictures to prove it. 

But we're mexicans, so a civil ceremony is basically blasphemy and didn't happen in the eyes of the family. So we'll redo it. Bam! Problem solved.  But as I am doing my research there are all these etiquettes and I fear I am doing to jack them all up. Because this VRC is going to be a wedding. Dress, attendants, flowers, cake, a hall, the whole shebang. 

here's the long winded question: is it John and Jane Doe invite you or can it be Jane and John Doe invite you? or does it depend on the sound of the wording, like of our names strung together? 

I know I took his last name, but I'm older than my husband and my name is before his alphabetically. 
    You can still have a proper vow renewal for your family without being so silly as to have a re-do PPD "wedding".  Scrap the wedding dress and the attendants.  Everything else is fine.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • The biggest question (as others said) is - do your friends and family know that you are already married?   Etiquette wise, if everyone knows, it's not as big of a deal. 

Otherwise, I agree with PPs.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards