Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

All-inclusive vs DIY

Hi everyone! I just became engaged about a month ago, and I'm still pretty new to the boards. Your advice and comments have already been so helpful though!

I'm currently looking at venues for our wedding. We're expecting roughly 100 guests, and working with a budget of $10K. We're not having it before October 2013, but we have flexibility with the date, so it could be after that (during one of the off-peak months) as well.

I've been comparing DIY and all-inclusive venues, and it seems like a restaurant venue might be our best bet with our budget ($5K or so for venue rental, food, and drinks). I prefer the idea of something like Winfrey Point, but is that even feasible to pull off with our budget and all the other rentals that would be required? I'm also a little nervous about pulling something like that off without a coordinator, and I don't know how we'd fit one into the budget.

One caveat, though I may have to be more flexible, is that I'd really prefer for it to be Saturday night. I don't want to inconvenience our out-of-town guests, and I'd really like to have more of the dancing and party-type atmosphere that I haven't seen in weddings that take place earlier in the day. I'd also like it to be in, or very near, Dallas, since we'll have a lot of people from out of town.

Thanks, everyone!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: All-inclusive vs DIY

• I think 10K is pretty doable for a place like WP.  You could also check out Filter Building, which, from the pictures of cwaggoner's wedding, seems a little bit less "blank canvas"-y in that I feel like if you didn't hang tons of decorations it would still look gorgeous.  Winfrey Point has tons of nails sticking out of the walls from the hundreds of weddings that have been there.

Winfrey Point and Filter Building both book up pretty quickly, so you definitely have to decide if you want them and then either a) be prepared to plan quickly (if you get a date that someone else cancelled on) or b) show up in person at 8 am to book the day you want (a year in advance).

Also, I think a lot of brides have gotten married for your budget and had AT LEAST a day-of coordinator, so I STRONGLY recommend trying to work one in.  A good one is invaluable!
    Anniversary

• Yep! Check out my pics in my sig. I loved the filter building and we had NO ceremony or reception decor (other than centerpieces) and you never would have known.
    It is 2800 for a Saturday, though, and that doesn't include rentals, food, or a coordinator so it might be a little out of your price range.

Another note: We served BBQ and it was CHEAP and delish. Just a thought.
  • aeliza06aeliza06 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I had my wedding at a restaurant, the rooftop of El Fenix in Downtown Dallas to be exact. It was lovely and would be well within your budget.
    Breakdown- we spent around $3600 on food, alcohol, and all the "rentals" for 100 guests (rentals being those items included by the restaurant that wouldn't be included with a DIY place). The minimum for a Saturday night at El Fenix is only $1500. Venue/Tables/chairs/linens/staff/silverware/security/parking are all included. 

As you said, DIY is GREAT, but you do have to bring everything in and sometimes there are extra costs everywhere. 

Another knottie, Cwaggoner, just had her wedding at the Filter Building (another DIY WRL venue), and did very little on the decor and catering and spent more money on the alcohol and entertainment. So there are ways to go DIY without breaking the bank. Winfrey point books up quickly and is very popular. So is the Filter Building. 

You might try looking into a Day of Coordinator REGARDLESS of which route you pursue. They are worth their weight in gold. Jen Ashford of Altar Ego is a favorite on here. 

HTH
    P.S. Congrats on your engagement and happy wedding planning! Welcome to the boards! You should post an intro so we can get to know you! 

ETA: What they said ^^^^^ Smile

• As a DIY restaurant bride, I would strongly advise an all-inclusive wedding. BUT, I did not have room in the budget for a coordinator. I think DIY can be GREAT and save so much $$, but seriously, hire a coordinator!!!! I think I would have enjoyed my day more if I had.
    Married 6/23/2012 Photobucket
  • Congratulations!!

A coordinator wasn't in my budget either but I found a great one who I've actually met with and booked. She starts at $150 for "day of" packages.

Good luck with the process and if you want her info I'd be more than happy to share it with you.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_all-inclusive-vs-diy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:fcb2668a-26c4-41a7-ac75-65c6ff1e0589Post:f8dcc98d-c252-4c31-b124-670c246459ec">Re: All-inclusive vs DIY</a>:
    [QUOTE]As a DIY restaurant bride, I would strongly advise an all-inclusive wedding. BUT, I did not have room in the budget for a coordinator. I think DIY can be GREAT and save so much $$, but seriously, hire a coordinator!!!! I think I would have enjoyed my day more if I had.
    Posted by caitlintaylor07[/QUOTE]
  • Thanks so much, everyone! You both had absolutely gorgeous weddings, cwaggoner07 and aeliza06. All of your vendor reviews are really helpful too. It looks like I'll have to do my homework on what the extra rentals would cost at WRL, but it sounds like something like the package at El Fenix might work better for us. 

After reading your advice about coordinators, I've spoken with a couple of them today. Meredith at Significant Events thought the budget was a little tight for me to include a coordinator, at least before I know what the costs will be for the venue and catering. She did recommend Rachel Derman Events, Kristin Mullin Events, and A Creative Touch by Lauren as less expensive options. I've also been in contact with Jen from Altar Ego, and we'll be meeting next week. Who are you working with, tiffanygoss? $150 is amazing! Is the consensus still that an outside coordinator is invaluable, even if there's an on-site coordinator?

By way of an introduction, I've been in Dallas since 2004, when I moved down here from the midwest for grad school. At the time I wasn't crazy about it (it wasn't Chicago) and told everyone that I'd be on the first plane out after defending my thesis. Then I met my now-FI 3 months before graduating, and he'd already matched for residency down here. It was pretty out of character for me, but I stayed, and wouldn't you know, I've even warmed up to the place a bit (no pun intended). FI proposed on our last night in Costa Rica about a month ago, and now we're looking forward to the opportunity to having a party that will get all of our close friends and family together. Other than that, I enjoy crafty stuff (mainly knitting and sewing), and I plan to DIY what I can for the wedding (eg, flowers and other decorations, save-the-dates and/or invites) without getting too excited and biting off more than I can chew.

Thanks again, everyone!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2012
    I started out with a budget of 10k (and 150 invited guests) at a DIY venue. The total cost ended up somewhere around 17k. I know other brides could have pulled it off easily within 10k, but I just couldn't. (Last-minute additions and pricy extras, like my mom wanting steak on the buffet, a day-of coordinator, a shuttle bus when the free hotel shuttle for my guests fell through).

I'd initially looked into the restaurant option, and the only reason we decided against it was because the alcohol was pricy (at the particular restaurant we looked at) and we wanted open bar (and knew our guests were big drinkers). Like you, we really wanted a big "party" kind of vibe on a Saturday night. In retrospect, we could have gotten that by going the restaurant route (provided they let us have a DJ so we could have dancing) and the bar bill probably wouldn't have been that crazy after all.

If you do a DIY venue, I highly recommend a day-of coordinator, if only for the setup and cleanup! That's the great thing about the restaurants -- that's included for you! (As are linens, plate rentals, etc -- all of that added up SO much more than I thought it would!)

Welcome to another native midwesterner! I moved here 3 years ago to follow my now-H. I'd met him while he was visiting Wisconsin, had only a few weeks of dating in person, a few months long distance, and then took the plunge and moved here to be with him! Like you, it was all very fast and out of character for me! Anyway, welcome and congrats!
  • If a venue is more all-inclusive or has their own coordinator then no, you do not need your own. Anyone getting married at the Filter Building... I don't know how you could do it without. I had so many vendors running in so many different directions with so many different tasks.
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_all-inclusive-vs-diy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:fcb2668a-26c4-41a7-ac75-65c6ff1e0589Post:af67111e-04b4-4483-b56b-c3d468060765">Re: All-inclusive vs DIY</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>If a venue is more all-inclusive or has their own coordinator then no, you do not need your own</strong>. Anyone getting married at the Filter Building... I don't know how you could do it without. I had so many vendors running in so many different directions with so many different tasks.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

That's not always the case.  At my all-inclusive, hotel wedding, the coordinator was busy showing the hotel to other potental brides on my wedding day, leaving me to rely heavily on my wonderful vendors.  Because of my experience, I always recommend a DOC even if there is an event planner at the venue.  She works for the venue, where a DOC works for YOU.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_all-inclusive-vs-diy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:fcb2668a-26c4-41a7-ac75-65c6ff1e0589Post:65802dcf-c543-424e-a128-2a542c5ac0bf">Re: All-inclusive vs DIY</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks so much, everyone! You both had absolutely gorgeous weddings, cwaggoner07 and aeliza06. All of your vendor reviews are really helpful too. It looks like I'll have to do my homework on what the extra rentals would cost at WRL, but it sounds like something like the package at El Fenix might work better for us.  After reading your advice about coordinators, I've spoken with a couple of them today.<strong> Meredith at Significant Events thought the budget was a little tight for me to include a coordinator, at least before I know what the costs will be for the venue and catering. She did recommend Rachel Derman Events, Kristin Mullin Events, and A Creative Touch by Lauren as less expensive options.</strong> I've also been in contact with Jen from Altar Ego, and we'll be meeting next week. Who are you working with, tiffanygoss? $150 is amazing! Is the consensus still that an outside coordinator is invaluable, even if there's an on-site coordinator? By way of an introduction, I've been in Dallas since 2004, when I moved down here from the midwest for grad school. At the time I wasn't crazy about it (it wasn't Chicago) and told everyone that I'd be on the first plane out after defending my thesis. Then I met my now-FI 3 months before graduating, and he'd already matched for residency down here. It was pretty out of character for me, but I stayed, and wouldn't you know, I've even warmed up to the place a bit (no pun intended). FI proposed on our last night in Costa Rica about a month ago, and now we're looking forward to the opportunity to having a party that will get all of our close friends and family together. Other than that, I enjoy crafty stuff (mainly knitting and sewing), and I plan to DIY what I can for the wedding (eg, flowers and other decorations, save-the-dates and/or invites) without getting too excited and biting off more than I can chew. Thanks again, everyone!
    Posted by Stitch10[/QUOTE]

<div>I used Meredith, and while I loved her and want everyone to use her, she is definitely more expensive than a lot of other great coordinators.  I'm glad she could give you some recs!</div>
    Anniversary

• Thanks for the clarification, Stephie!
  • Her name is Amy Lacy (<a href="mailto:amylaceyweddings@hotmail.com" rel="nofollow">amylaceyweddings@hotmail.com</a>), her $150 package is "day of" only and since she lives close to me she did not have to include travel into that price. I'm very DIY and am pretty crafty so I'm hvaing fun making mostly everything for the wedding and planning everything. I just needed help day of so that I was enjoying the day adn not hosting the party. I met with her a few weeks ago and shes really organized and we clicked right off the bat. I'm making all fabric flowers, sounds like you would maybe do that too seeing as you like to sew. If you are on Pinterest it's a great inspiration and how to sight for everything but I have found it's so helpful for DIY brides. Tons of ideas! best of luck in your planning and congrats again!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_all-inclusive-vs-diy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:fcb2668a-26c4-41a7-ac75-65c6ff1e0589Post:65802dcf-c543-424e-a128-2a542c5ac0bf">Re: All-inclusive vs DIY</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks so much, everyone! You both had absolutely gorgeous weddings, cwaggoner07 and aeliza06. All of your vendor reviews are really helpful too. It looks like I'll have to do my homework on what the extra rentals would cost at WRL, but it sounds like something like the package at El Fenix might work better for us.  After reading your advice about coordinators, I've spoken with a couple of them today. Meredith at Significant Events thought the budget was a little tight for me to include a coordinator, at least before I know what the costs will be for the venue and catering. She did recommend Rachel Derman Events, Kristin Mullin Events, and A Creative Touch by Lauren as less expensive options. I've also been in contact with Jen from Altar Ego, and we'll be meeting next week. Who are you working with, tiffanygoss? $150 is amazing! Is the consensus still that an outside coordinator is invaluable, even if there's an on-site coordinator? By way of an introduction, I've been in Dallas since 2004, when I moved down here from the midwest for grad school. At the time I wasn't crazy about it (it wasn't Chicago) and told everyone that I'd be on the first plane out after defending my thesis. Then I met my now-FI 3 months before graduating, and he'd already matched for residency down here. It was pretty out of character for me, but I stayed, and wouldn't you know, I've even warmed up to the place a bit (no pun intended). FI proposed on our last night in Costa Rica about a month ago, and now we're looking forward to the opportunity to having a party that will get all of our close friends and family together. Other than that, I enjoy crafty stuff (mainly knitting and sewing), and I plan to DIY what I can for the wedding (eg, flowers and other decorations, save-the-dates and/or invites) without getting too excited and biting off more than I can chew. Thanks again, everyone!
    Posted by Stitch10[/QUOTE]
  • I think having a coordinator is a very good idea, especially if you are not an organized person.

I'm pretty organized, plus I had a florist and caterer who set up and took down all of their own stuff, plus my mom and her really good friend (who has catered events) and some of her other friends (they are like a big family!) took care of all the take-down, so I was very lucky to be able to save in that area.

Also, be careful, budgets have a way of going over very easily! Use the budget board for extra savings ideas.

Another venue you might consider (for a party-like atmosphere) is Gilly's Dallas - The Loft room. I never got to see it (being out of town) but I thought it could be a possibility when I was looking. In my opinion it wouldn't need a lot of decoration since it's very loungy.  It also has a balcony, but I'm not sure how big it is. The fee is $1,000-$1,500 depending on how much you spend on food & beverages, plus they have in-house catering. It's a unique venue and probably not for everybody as I believe they have other events going on at the same time and you would need to do valet parking to make it easier.

• Nothing to add, just wanted to say congrats and I am also from the Chicagoland area. I have grown to love Dallas, too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Does anyone know the prices on Event 1013?  I think it would be great for 100 guests, and it wouldn't need much in terms of decoration, but they might be asking a lot for it.  I know you pretty much HAVE to have valet service (unless you want your guests self-parking across the DART tracks or in the Eastside Village garage), so that's an added cost.
    Anniversary

• This is what I had from 2011 for Event1013. Glad I kept all my emails! It's pricey, but you can bring in your own caterer, drinks, etc.

The current rental rate for 9 hours in the evening on Saturdays is $2200 for a reception and $2500 for a wedding ceremony and reception, which includes an additional one hour ceremony rehearsal. If you would like your rental to be from 8 AM to 5 PM, we could offer you a rate of $1200 for the reception and $1500 for the wedding and reception. The rate for a Friday evening or Sunday evening is $1800 for a reception only and $2100 for a wedding and reception. A Sunday morning reception is $1200 and the rate for a wedding and reception is $1500.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards