Favors

Take home Soaps?

My aunt makes hand made soaps and I was planning on using them for the bridal shower. However, I love the idea as a reception favor that would fit the time of the year (a warm autumnal scent with a hint of pine).

As a guest, would this be something you would want to take home? Also, it's an organic based product so skin irritations would be at a minimum and ingredients would be listed on them. 

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Take home Soaps?

• Personally? Yes, I would like a handmade soap. I like any favor I can either eat or actually use.

• Personally, I would not take one. I don't use cutesy soaps and I don't like clutter I won't use.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • It sounds nice, but I would not take one. I have super sensitive skin and can basically use one kind of soap, unfortunately.

Favors aren't necessary, so this could be one area where you save money (and your aunt's time).

*********************************************************************************

• I wouldn't take one.  I am not a fan of distinctive smelling things (like these soaps or candles), so I certainly wouldn't be using it.

• I'm really picky with scents, something like you are describing would be a pass if the "pine" really came through. I'm with PPs, skip it and put the money elsewhere. 
  • I say this as someone who loves artisan bath products and probably would take the soap...

Just because something is organic doesn't mean it can't irritate skin.  Depending on what she uses to create that "warm autumn scent", it can absolutely cause skin irritation.  Certain essential oils (cinnamon, clove, lemon verbena, peppermint, ginger, wintergreen, and yes, also pine) are well known for having a higher chance of being a skin irritant.  That said...

There's a chance that the soap lovers will be willing to take the extras of the soap haters since it is something that can be used without lying around.  I hang around with a group of like-minded folks who love this kind of stuff.  But, I also know a fair amount of people who would be put off by scented soap or just wouldn't care.  And also, I know a lot of people who just wouldn't use bar soap.  In fact, I hardly know anyone who actually buys bar soap anymore, including myself unless it was something extra extra special that I loved (say Karma from Lush or something from Moonalisa) or some solid shampoos.  Most of my friends are actually squicked out by the idea of bar soap - it rarely fully dries between uses, you have to keep it on a rack or it gets mushy, if they share a shower or sink they don't like the idea of using the same soap as someone else, etc.  Not saying it necessarily makes sense, just that's the perception.  Nearly everyone I know uses liquid soap/body wash and unless they have a soapdish, probably aren't going to be inclined to use a bar of soap. 
  • Personally, I would go with edible or nothing at all. It is a fairly practical idea, but I think there are still a lot of people who wouldn't take it or take and not use/dispose of once home.
  • Alrighty then, thanks for all of the input everyone! Definitely something to consider.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Many soap scents both me.  I literally rush down the soap/laundry aisle when grocery shopping.  My concern/issue would be where these soaps would be placed at the reception.  If they are anywhere need food, the food can potentially absorb the odors from the soap and be ruined.

I had a friend make me a lovely gift basket one Christmas.  In addition to some incredible homemade baked goods, she included some soaps and a pot potpourri hot pad.  All the foods had to be tossed because the taste had been influenced by the soaps and potpourri.
  • I'd definitely take the soap, and probably any extras. I love bar soaps and prefer them over liquid soaps - but I would also prefer them to be smaller.
  • MobKaz said:
    Many soap scents both me.  I literally rush down the soap/laundry aisle when grocery shopping.  My concern/issue would be where these soaps would be placed at the reception.  If they are anywhere need food, the food can potentially absorb the odors from the soap and be ruined.

I had a friend make me a lovely gift basket one Christmas.  In addition to some incredible homemade baked goods, she included some soaps and a pot potpourri hot pad.  All the foods had to be tossed because the taste had been influenced by the soaps and potpourri.
    I agree with this.  I like homemade things - and maybe for your shower, this would be a better idea since you will know that crowd more - but I would be concerned that at your reception if would be too much (especially if you have guests with scent sensitivities or allergies).  I'm also someone for whom any "hint of pine" smells like Pinesol - unless its Christmas.
    Anniversary

• I love that you want to support your aunt, and while I wouldn't be put off by the favor, I'd probably leave it at my table setting when I left.
  • No, I wouldn't like that.  I think soap in a dish outside of the shower/tub is messy. We use a dispenser.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I use liquid soap, so I wouldn't use bar soaps - even wedding favors.
  • I'm late - but also in the "I wouldn't"...  Pine is actually a common allergen for those of us unlucky saps with a "Mixed tree" allergy...  Also - sensitive skin (hypoallergenic doesn't mean anything - if someone's going to react to an ingredient they're going to react!)...  And finally - if the scent is strong, it can trigger asthma...

• Another vote for doing edibles instead.  While I do like artisan hand soaps, I am super picky about what I get, and I'm very sensitive to smell.  There's a pretty good chance I would pass on the soap.  I'm sure it would be lovely, but odds are, many people won't take them. 

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I agree- soap is very polarizing. People either love it, or they don't.
  • I'm in the minority, but I would really like this favor. But that's just me. If you were going to do them,I would have a little table that says "Take one!" or something.

Then I'd probably want to take a million, because I love soaps and whatnot.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• hellohkb said:
    I'm in the minority, but I would really like this favor. But that's just me. If you were going to do them,I would have a little table that says "Take one!" or something.

Then I'd probably want to take a million, because I love soaps and whatnot.
    That's a really good idea.
  • Cute idea for Bridal Shower but I don't think such a big hit for reception favors. Reason being is you run into a larger number of people at the reception compared to the bridal shower that may be sensitive to certain scent or just don't like the scent you do, unless you do an unscented soap. I would also maybe ask some guys, like the groomsmen, brothers or just male friends their opinions. I'm thinking this isn't something that would go over big with most men, but I could be wrong which is why I recommended asking a few men you know for their opinion.
  • I really enjoy handmade soap and would be happy to receive it as a favor. That's just my opinion though. You could do one floral and one masculine scent? Set them up on a table to let others choose if they'd like them.
  • @Wallflower - this topic had the last post at the end of March.
  • WallflowerWallflower member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2016
    ernursej said:
    @Wallflower - this topic had the last post at the end of March.
    Ugh, I can't believe I missed that. Thanks. :s

I'll keep a better eye out. I didn't notice how slow some of these boards are!
  • Even though this post is old I'm glad I came across it.  I was going to make my own beer soap for my wedding this fall as we are doing it at a brewery.  I've totally changed my mind now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards