Honeymoon Discussions

Barcelona!

Anyone been? We've got an apartment in the Gothic Quarter for 10 days and made some choices on sights we want to see. If you have any suggestions for dining (local style) I would love to hear them.

Thanks!!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Barcelona!

• I've been but it was a while ago. We stayed outside of the city on the beach in Salou and took the train into Barcelona for sight seeing. No idea about eating, we kind of picked random places, but one of my favourite activities was going to a monastery. https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g187501-d191040-Reviews-Montserrat_Monastery-Montserrat_Catalonia.html

That was the one we did. it was so beautiful, they sell cheese and liquor that they make there, and lots to see.

Obviously Barcelona itself is gorgeous. A must visit is also the Sagrada Familia and Park Guell.

Enjoy!

• @teddygirl9 Thank you! We have blocked off time to spend in Monserrat and will be doing a funicular excursion. The entire reason for choosing Spain was our love for the history and architecture with the Sagrada Familia!

Blessings to you!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We did our honeymoon to Spain and spent some time in Barcelona.  We loved it!  We followed a lot of the Rick Steve's book.  There was one place that we enjoyed a lot it was across the street from Casa Mila.  Barcelona is not knows for tapas like the rest of Spain but the food is amazing.

We also did a food and wine tour that took us out to Monserrat.  The first half you spend at Monserrat and the second have you come down the mountain to eat and wine taste.

There is also an amazing Italian restaurant called de Greco...its was amazing now that I think of it.  I know you don't go to Spain to eat Italian but it was was a good treat.
  • Definitely check out the Gaudi House Gardens. Very cool.
  • @Jeannine12 thanks for the great suggestion.

@climbingwife when was your trip?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • H and I (then FI) sailed on the QE2 in September 2013. We spent a day in Barcelona. We actually hired a guide through Tours By Locals. It was a great experience! 
  • @best4last you will love Barcelona, it's an amazing city! The architecture and food are just amazing. 

One word of warning, the street crime there is horrendous. I'm not being hyperbolic. It's very common to have your bag dipped in the street. We also had someone follow us into our apt block as though he lived there and ripped my bag from my neck and ran off. Its very rare that this crime is dangerous but it can be very annoying / inconvenient to have money or phones stolen. I cut a hole in the lining of my handbag (inside the side zip part) and kept my valuables in the lining so it couldn't be dipped. Didn't help when they took the whole bag, but 9/10 they will just try to dip your bag, not steal the whole thing. Sorry to be doom and gloom, it really is an amazing place, you just have to be careful!

• @glasgowtolondon thank you for the advice. We've read that pick-pockets are saturated in the area. Don't plan on carrying any more than we absolutely have to. There is a safe in our apartment where we will keep any thing of value while we are visitine.

Blessings! <3

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • H and I went last year on a random trip. We stayed out at the W Hotel on the beach. It's a cool town, but VERY touristy. That said, there are plenty of fun things to do, and it was impossible to see even half of them. We'll probably go back again soon. The Segrada Familia and the Gaudi park are the big ones. I don't remember much about great food there, but I loved the wine, and drank A LOT of cava. The nightlife doesn't stop. There will be people out at 4am. And lots of promoters trying to get you into their bars promising free drinks. We actually did that one night just bouncing from place to place drinking their free drinks. :)
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • We spent the first week of our honeymoon outside Barcelona in a beach town and absolutely loved it. We did not plan our one day in BCN correctly as we booked our one night on Sunday. The tourist attractions were open, but any local places were closed the entire day, so just keep that in mind! Still Having dreams about the cava, Serrano ham and manchego! Jealous! 
  • The beach is quite nice. Try to see the fountains, I think they are on Friday and Saturday. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards