Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Wedding dress fit

I bought a dress! I know my wedding isn't for a little less than a year but I found exactly what I wanted in the price I wanted. I bought it, it was to big but the wedding shop offered to pay for alterations. I picked it up and it fit well, a little tight in the waist but it's strapless and I was told it needed to be tight in the waist so it doesn't shift to much. No problem there. Except the bodice part is to big. Not very much but enough that I think you could see straight down and if I had a bigger cup size it would be perfect. It's a beaded bodice so I know it's tougher to take it in but other than getting fashion tape and literally taping it to me I'm not sure what the best option is to help the fit. I may take it back to the streamstress and see if there is anything about the top that can be done but not until closer to my wedding in case I gain weight between now and then. 
Has anyone else had this problem? If so how did you make it work?

Re: Wedding dress fit

• Options
    Congratulations on finding your dress! If you post a picture of it, you can probably get some good ideas.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2016
    OP, consider adding shoulder straps to your dress. That way there will be more support for the bodice, and the alterations won't be as difficult.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    MWVDMWVD member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    that is from the first fitting. It does have a place you can add straps like ribbon type straps that I was going to do either way for the reception. 
  • Options
    MWVDMWVD member
    that is from the first fitting. It does have a place you can add straps like ribbon type straps that I was going to do either way for the reception. 
  • Options
    Gorgeous dress, and you look great in it!
  • Options
    MWVDMWVD member
    Thanks. I'll try and get a picture of it so you can see the gap. It is perfect and what I wanted. I'm going to get a beaded sash for the waist area which I found one on etsy for $30. Over all if I can get the bodice a little more fitted through stick on "boobies" and fashion tape I am super happy. Especially considering it was only $500! 
  • Options
    If there is a gap in the chest area, then that means that it needs to be taken in, in that area.  If the shop cannot do that, then go somewhere else.  When altered correctly there should never be a gap.  If there is one thing that you want to fit perfectly, that is your wedding dress.  You certainly don't want to spend all day and night wondering if people can see down your dress or constantly pulling it because you are uncomfortable.

• Options
    Lovely dress!  They should be able to take in along the sides of the bodice.  That should help.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Agreed that a good seamstress should have no problem taking it in a bit! You can also have some cups sewn in so it fits a little snugger (and gives you a little extra) as well. I wouldn't want to be dealing with anything stick-on in my dress on my wedding day, personally. It should feel like it fits perfectly when the alterations are all done. You should be able to hug and dance and wave your arms around and do whatever you want WITHOUT worrying about what's showing or needing to hike it up. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards