Outdoor Weddings

Shoes!?!?!?!

My ceremony will take place in grass and the reception under a tent with a floor. What type of shoes would you wear.....wedge, flats, kitten heel or go all out with 4in heels?  Really afraid of the bridal party sinking or getting stuck as they walk.

Re: Shoes!?!?!?!

• I would avoid anything with a narrow heel as they will sink into the grass. A wedge or flat would be best. You can be these little plastic covers to go over thin heels, but I think they look silly and don't always fit or prevent sinking.

I'm not sure if you are asking your bridal party to coordinate shoes, but if you are, please reconsider. No one looks at the shoes anyway. If you are just asking for advice in case a maid has a question about what shoes to wear that they already own - great for being thoughtful and wanting to ensure nobody sinks!

• Kmb8yr said:
    My ceremony will take place in grass and the reception under a tent with a floor. What type of shoes would you wear.....wedge, flats, kitten heel or go all out with 4in heels?  Really afraid of the bridal party sinking or getting stuck as they walk.
    I would wear shoes of my own choosing that would allow me to walk comfortably and confidently.  If you are concerned about yourself, your wedding party, or your guests, simply use word of mouth to let everyone aware of the terrain on which the wedding will occur.

Please do not dictate a specific shoe to your bridal party.
  • edited March 2016
    My bridal party will be wearing wedges for our outdoor wedding. I bought a 4 inch heel because I just couldn't resist the awesome shoe...I bought those heel things called solemates from Davids Bridal...I hear they work well but won't know for sure til June...Here's hoping :)

As to dictating a type of shoe I suggested to my girls that they wear a wedge due to the venue. They all concluded they wanted the same shoe hahaha.

I also put on our wedding website that the wedding would be outdoors and guests should take that into consideration as we would hate for anyone to injure themselves. 

• Let your bridal party pick shoes that they are comfortable in. The best thing you can do is give them freedom in regards to what type of heel they wear. Even if it was an indoor ceremony, you may have someone who can be comfortable rocking out the 4 inch heels while another person prefers flats. My theory is of your Bridesmaids (and you) are in shoes they can walk comfortably in, then they will be happier since they are comfortable. Happy BM mean great smiles which lends to great photos and a fun day. There are caps that can be put onto heels that are suppose to help prevent sinking into the grass. Check out the Attire board for reviews on those.
  • I went for a kitten heel, and it was the best decision ever. I was comfortable all night. 

My bridesmaid chose a tall heel, and she was fine in the grass. She did take them off later though, to he more comfort. 
  • lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I don't have trouble in grass in stilettos and that is what I feel my best in when wearing formal wear so that would be my choice. Personally, I have no desire to ever own a pair of wedges or kitten heels. I do not feel comfortable in formal wear with flats. 

If you're asking what YOU should wear, do you already have a few of these shoe varieties that you could test out right now?

Don't worry about your wedding party. Let them know the conditions (grass, gravel, indoor/outdoor etc.) and let them decide on their own shoes. Requiring matching shoes amongst the wedding party is not okay. Everyone should be able to choose what they individually feel their best in and works for their orthopedic needs. 
  • I chose to add an aisle runner for my outdoor ceremony just to make sure I could walk ok in the gravel. I also had a larger heel.
  • I love using Solemates, I use them for every wedding that I attend and basically whenever I know I'll be in heels on grass. They really do work, as long as you get the right size for your heel.
  • Comfortable shoes or flat shoes if there is a great deal of grass or the ground is going to be very wet.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards