Wedding Etiquette Forum

Drinks at Bridal Shower?

I am hosting my best friends Bridal Shower, I am her MOH, and we are hosting it at a Karaoke Bar. I am wondering if it is typically expected that drinks are pre-paid for at something like this?? Was thinking that it might be weird to have people pay for their own drinks at the bar - so could maybe arrange a certain amount of drinks covered for the hours we are there? Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated!

Re: Drinks at Bridal Shower?

• That's a really fun idea for a shower. 
    Showers are something that should be fully hosted, yes. So if there's a bar, you should arrange something with the venue. You could do "open" bar for the hours you are there. You could have little signs on the tables that say certain beers and wines are included. 
    Will other patrons of this place have access to the same bar/bartender during the event? That could add some complications as the bartender would have to keep track of who your guests are. 

• I am hosting my best friends Bridal Shower, I am her MOH, and we are hosting it at a Karaoke Bar. I am wondering if it is typically expected that drinks are pre-paid for at something like this?? Was thinking that it might be weird to have people pay for their own drinks at the bar - so could maybe arrange a certain amount of drinks covered for the hours we are there? Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated!
    If it is shower, then it should be hosted. Based on time of day and budget, you can decide what beverages to host, but don't limit the number or do a cash bar.

If it is a bachrlorette party, then people would expect to party for their own drinks. I only day that bc I've never heard of a karaoke bridal shower, but have been to several karaoke bachrlorette parties.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I think showers should be hosted. That being said, if I were invited to a shower at a bar, I would probably assume I was paying my own way.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • How well do you know the guests? If you know that most of them are beer drinkers, you could order pitchers of beer and coke for the tables. That might cut the cost even lower. Servers could offer wine to those who want it. The key is to communicate clearly on what is being covered by the host, so no one is embarrassed. 

• I would definitely cover drinks.  But I agree with previous suggestions: if you know that the guests prefer beer, wine, and virgin drinks, or some other variation in which they prefer some, but not all alcohol, you might offer a limited bar.
  • If you are at a bar where you are not the only patrons, you could look at wrist bands or something that IDs your party. If guests have to order their own drinks up at the bar, this could make the tab for the hosts easy.
  • You need to provide food and beverage for the shower. I just had a baby shower thrown for me in a restaurant--water, soda, coffee, and lunch was all provided. There was a bar in the restaurant where there was nothing stopping guests from going up there and getting other drinks (i.e. alcohol) if they wanted to. Nothing you can do about that. 

Since you're having the event in a karaoke bar, not a restaurant that happens to have a bar in it, and I'm assuming this may be an evening event, I would definitely expect some alcoholic drinks to be provided. Really, anything appropriate for the venue and time of day should be hosted, so that includes drinks in this situation. If you don't want to host alcohol, don't have an event in a bar!
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Yes, a shower should be fully hosted.

I agree with a menu listing what beverages you are hosting.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards