Attire & Accessories Forum

Bridesmaids dresses ??

This is my 2nd marriage so I don't want a huge wedding party, I have 1MOH, 2BM & a FG.
Our wedding will be in November in South Florida, unlike the rest of the country, we rarely if ever experience what most would consider normal November weather, it'll likely be warm or even HOT! Is it ok to pick a strapless dress? Or a short one? Any rules or regulations? 

We are going to check out some dresses tomorrow, as of now I'm open to whatever and will let them choose what they like, I'm not even sure on colors yet really. Any tips or major no-nos?

Re: Bridesmaids dresses ??

• Make sure you ask each of them individually for their budget and don't look at dresses that are above the lowest number you get! The easiest way to do this is just pick a color and let each choose a dress she is comfortable in. If you insist on matching, please be considerate of their opinions. Some women do not like to wear strapless or spaghetti strap. Some may not wish to show their knees or even their legs at all.
  • PPs have it covered. Ask them, privately, for their budget and don't look at anything that exceeds it. I'm a huge proponent of giving them a color and letting them pick their own, people have different tastes and styles. For example, I hate strapless, and even if it was 80 degrees I would still pick something with strap.

Major "no-nos"?, not listening to what they're saying about how dresses make them feel. Clothes are personal for many people and even if you think they look stunning they may not feel that way. I think if you're asking for advice and already know you want to let them choose their own, everything will be fine.
  • Thanks for the responses. They're the ones that want strapless, I wasn't sure if that was ok for a November wedding. Like I said, I'm pretty much open to whatever they want, I said pick a few that you all like and agree on and I can vote for my favorite. Easy peasy, one more thing to cross off my list. 
  • There are no rules! Short dresses also may be a very nice choise!)
  • There's only two "rules" - and that's stick to a budget and style that your MOH/BM's are comfortable after alterations are factored in.  Alterations can sometimes double the price of the dress, so keep that in mind when looking.  Ask your girls privately before you go what they're comfortable with. 
  • Sammy1112 said:
    Thanks for the responses. They're the ones that want strapless, I wasn't sure if that was ok for a November wedding. Like I said, I'm pretty much open to whatever they want, I said pick a few that you all like and agree on and I can vote for my favorite. Easy peasy, one more thing to cross off my list. 
    Or you can let them each pick the one they like best, and you just let them go with it.  Why do three women with different shaped bodies need to wear the same dress?
  • Doors are wide open on options and with being in Florida, if the girls are comfortable in short dresses, you can easily get away with that. Only suggestion is that if they opt for a short dress and it's an outdoor wedding maybe look for styles that aren't too flowy so that if it's a windy day, the girls aren't fighting to keep their dresses down.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would give them a colour of dress and let them pick what they like.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards