Flowers

Hydrangeas in November???

I'm hearing conflicting stories about whether hydrangeas are too delicate to use in centerpieces and bmaids bouquets. I'm getting married mid-November, anyone have any advice on whether they'll wilt quickly? It's an evening wedding, outside.

Thanks!

~ Heidi

Re: Hydrangeas in November???

• As long as you use a good florist who knows how to properly handle hydrangeas they will be fine.

I had hydrangeas in both my bouquet, my BMs bouquets and the centerpieces and I got married in mid July.  I kept the bouquets in water until right before the ceremony and when pictures were done the bouquets went back into their vases to decorate the cake table.  Not one centerpiece or bouquet wilted the entire day.

• I was married November 7 and had hydrangeas in my centerpieces and they looked great, even at brunch the next morning.

• Hydrangeas might wilt in July heat but with proper hydration they should hold up well in November.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_hydrangeas-in-november?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:828fa82a-34d5-4fed-aacd-3db5fd6ffb51Post:945caa2b-a344-407a-870d-50fa35fb4b64">Re: Hydrangeas in November???</a>:
    [QUOTE] I kept the bouquets in water until right before the ceremony and when pictures were done the bouquets went back into their vases to decorate the cake table.  Not one centerpiece or bouquet wilted the entire day.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with Maggie.  I had hydrangeas in my bouquet, bridesmaids bouquets, and centerpieces.  I got married on June 30 and they held up fine.</div>
    Anniversary
  • Hydrangeas will be just fine in November. Make sure you use a good quality florist, though. If you use someone who doesn't know how to handle hydrangeas, they'll wilt in bouquets. 

Good luck!
  • I love hydrangeas but they can be tempermental. These flowers grow on huge shrubs and any flower with large stems equals alot of water.  Your florist should know how to hydrate them before giving them to you.  Centerpieces usually sit in water so no problem there.  I especially like antique hydrangeas.  They dry beautifully and I love their shades of colors.  No worries bout hydration with these also.
  • When my brides request hydrangeas I suggest having them put into bouquet holders to guarantee they will have a water source, I have never had problems with hydrangeas as long as they are in a water source. If you decide to do your own flowers rather than having a florist do them, just make sure you know how to properly take care of them because they can be a little bit touchy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards