Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Destination Wedding Favors: Tote Bags

So I know the typical thing to do is place tote bags into the suites of the rooms or provide them to the guests in some way with items they may need, souvenirs, etc.  And I was initially planning on doing something similar...however realistically I am thinking most people will bring most of those items and there is a large chance the totes bags will get tossed or left.  I am just not sure how "valuable" this is and if people really like it. 

I was considering perhaps having, for lack of a better word, basically a grab basket for people. So if they need something the wedding party could access our suite (or perhaps in their own) to provide things like sunblock, ponchos, bug spray, etc to guests should they have forgotten something critical that is expensive at the resort.

Then I was going to have hand fans at the ceremony/reception, perhaps some shawls (so covering those hot and cold).

Do you think my idea isn't enough since its not truly a favor?  In your experience do you actually like the individual totes per room?

Re: Destination Wedding Favors: Tote Bags

• Options
    I think for a DW, while people are going to bring the essentials, it would be helpful to provide some things if they run out. For example, I pack lightly, and can't squeeze much sunscreen in my carry-on. Extra sunscreen would be great. Or, some locations have rules on what kind of sunscreen and bugspray you can use due to environmental concerns. Provide the eco-friendly stuff if people don't know, or forget to buy that stuff. 
    Totes are always helpful; make sure they aren't bulky, that they lay/fold flat, and please don't personalize them. I'm not going to Trader Joe's with a "Harrison Wedding 2016" tote bag. 
    I think an actual "souvenir" would be a real favor; the other stuff is more like welcome bags for convenience. But again, ensure the souvenir isn't bulky, fragile, etc for people who have limited suitcase space. 
    Also, remember favors aren't necessary. If you do welcome bags, it's very thoughtful, and enough. 

• Options

Anything like a tote bag or destination type items (sunscreen, bug spray) doesn't really seem like a favour. It is a welcome item. Favours are option so I would just skip it or do something edible.

If you end up doing a tote (welcome bag or part of a favour) I would really encourage not personalizing it. I once received a beautiful LLBean tote ... only to discover that the B+G name and wedding date were on it. I have never used that tote.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Like others said, favors are not required.  So, you really don't have to do anything more than you want to here.

I did tote bags for my wedding. A decent tote bag can be useful during and after the trip, but definitely don't personalize them. I had canvas tote bags with zipper closure and many of my guests still use them.  I had some extras that I use often, too. I bought them online at some bulk site (I bought 25 of them) for around $4 each.  But, they are super sturdy and the zipper closure makes them really useful for trips. But, I probably wouldn't use a bag that has someone elses name or wedding date on it.

I figured that people would bring most of the typical stuff, but there are things people pack light on and run out of or don't think of.  I put together "hangover kits" with an electrolyte drink mix, bottled water and aspirin... many people actually used them, either for hangover or we had one person who used the drink mix after hanging stomach issue during the trip. Then I put some snacks in there. Some cookies, crackers, chips. And then when I got to our destination I bought some local stuff to add to the bags. The snacks were particularly useful for people with kids, but even the rest of us get munchies between meals.  Or they were nice to have handy for day trips. People really seemed to like them. 

You could let people know that you have some extra supplies if needed, but there will likely be small stores that they can get that stuff from.  And if I need pepto bismul or something like that, I'd probably go find a store instead of asking you for it. 

ETA:  Oh, I forgot.  We also gave each person a 20 oz. Bubba Mug in the bags. Those things keep ice in the cup nearly all day (not quite as good as Yeti, but not as expensive either).  Guests loved them and many still use them regularly.  Since everyone would be using matching cups all week, we did use a label maker to put each persons name on the mugs.  But, we put THEIR name, not OUR name and it was 100% removable.

• Options
    Hey! we did gift bags for all of our guest, in those gift bags we included, a cup which was personalized with our names and wedding date. They were super cute and all came lids and straws. Everyone used them to get all their drinks and they were perfect for the beach so no sand got into them. We also included chap-sticks, goodie powder, and door hangers for guest to put on their room doors the night of the wedding to not be bothered the next day. The hotel delivered all of these bags to our guest and it was great! Everyone loved them. At the ceremony we made our programs into fan programs and that was a  huge hit. Good luck!
  • Options
    Tote bags are fine but like PPs have said, don't personalize them with anything regarding your wedding. Nobody will want to carry around at tote that says "Jane and John's Wedding". Every personalized tote bag I've received at a wedding, bachelorette party, etc. has either been thrown away or immediately tossed in the Goodwill pile. 
    --

• Options
    I think it's helpful to provide those things in case someone needs it, but no, bug spray is not a favor. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I skipped the welcome bags, besides the fact that our guests were scattered throughout the island, it seemed like a waste of money. I also agree that anything monogramed with someone else's name on it, isn't likely to be something I'd keep or reuse.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    bush5357 said:
    Hey! we did gift bags for all of our guest, in those gift bags we included, a cup which was personalized with our names and wedding date. They were super cute and all came lids and straws. Everyone used them to get all their drinks and they were perfect for the beach so no sand got into them. We also included chap-sticks, goodie powder, and door hangers for guest to put on their room doors the night of the wedding to not be bothered the next day. The hotel delivered all of these bags to our guest and it was great! Everyone loved them. At the ceremony we made our programs into fan programs and that was a  huge hit. Good luck!
    A cup personalized with Your name and Your wedding date?  That you're giving as a gift to Me?  Thanks!  My GoodWill loves those cups!

And what the fuck is goodie powder?  Sounds scary.
  • Options
    adk19 said:
    bush5357 said:
    A cup personalized with Your name and Your wedding date?  That you're giving as a gift to Me?  Thanks!  My GoodWill loves those cups!

And what the fuck is goodie powder?  Sounds scary.
    Had to look it up, its basically powdered headache relief, I've only had the brand "BC" before but apparently "Goodie" makes another similar product. 

I first thought it was something for jock itch and I was very confused. 
  • Options
    We were thinking of doing cups (think travel tumblers, with a lid and straw) for our group, but instead of having them personalized with our names or date, we were just going to include the destination and the year.  This way it's a little more like a trip momento, than specifically a wedding memento.  Is this realistically an improvement, or would I be better off sticking with no personalization?  Our destination encourages cocktails "to-go", so we figured the cups would be practical for the weekend at least.
  • Options
    We were thinking of doing cups (think travel tumblers, with a lid and straw) for our group, but instead of having them personalized with our names or date, we were just going to include the destination and the year.  This way it's a little more like a trip momento, than specifically a wedding memento.  Is this realistically an improvement, or would I be better off sticking with no personalization?  Our destination encourages cocktails "to-go", so we figured the cups would be practical for the weekend at least.

I think the date and location could be a cool idea, especially if it's useful for that location. It's much better than something with your name on it.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    I don't hate this idea, and I hate most personalization ideas.  Yeah, I wouldn't hate a tumbler that said, Cancun, Mexico - 2016.  Go for it.
  • Options
    Yeah, I think location & year is acceptable.  It makes it a souvenir for their vacation, rather than just a wedding favor.

• Options
    As a BM, I wouldn't want to be your guests personal assistant there to take care of any personal things they may have forgotten. That's that the front desk is for. If you want to leave a bag of things there for guests, that would be an easy way to do it. Also think of how are you going to be transporting all of this stuff to your wedding? Are you going to pack it? If so, will you need an extra suitcase for this & how much will that cost you? If budget isn't an issue, go for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards