Registry and Gift Forum

How to get gifts home?

Hi there, my fiance and I are having our wedding in our home state of NM but we live in OR.  How are we supposed to get our wedding gifts home?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!  Obviously, we are flying there and back and we don't have a lot of time in NM other than for the wedding, so we won't have a lot of time to return gifts (besides, that seems a little uncouth...)  Thoughts?  Help?

Re: How to get gifts home?

• When FI and I registered at Crate & Barrel, we were told that if the gifts we received at the wedding were brought to one of their stores, they would ship them to our home address for us.  I don't see anything about that on their website now, but it can't hurt to ask the places you're registered (if they have actual brick-and-mortar locations) if they will ship the items to you.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Bring an extra suitcase to fill with packable gifts (towels,sheets or small items). Ship the remainder home. You might not get a lot of box gifts at the wedding. I think the trend now is to send the gift in advance via a registry or give a card and check.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    You can either try to take as much with you on the plane, and ship the rest.

Or you can return the gifts to the store your registry is at, and buy them again when you get home. Some larger box stores will offer to ship your gifts to your local store- essentially the same thing, you return the gift to one store and the same item is reserved for you and ready for pick up at another. But it ensures that they money is being spent at the store- so bonus for the store to do this.

At the same time, I assume most of your guests know you live OOT and will either mail your gift to your home or give you cash.
  • HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2016
    Bring an extra suitcase to fill with packable gifts (towels,sheets or small items). Ship the remainder home. You might not get a lot of box gifts at the wedding. I think the trend now is to send the gift in advance via a registry or give a card and check.
    I did this for my OOT shower.  I nested a smaller suitcase inside a larger one on the way there and filled them both for the return flight.  My mom and I were going to take a bunch of stuff to the UPS store if necessary before I flew back, but all of the guests knew I was traveling so everything they gave was very packable.  (Except for that cast iron skillet, but it was so worth it--I use it almost daily.)
  • scribe95 said:
    OT - I need to use my cast iron skillet more. What do you use it for @Heffalump ?
    Oh, gosh.  Frying eggs.  (I was sick over the weekend and DH tried frying eggs in one of our Cuisinart saute pans, and they just weren't the same.)  Browning meat.  Pancakes if I'm doing a small batch.  (I use the griddle for big batches.)  Grilled cheese.  Chicken breasts.  I used to do bacon, until I was converted over to oven bacon.  Yesterday I used it to make the filling for stuffed peppers.  I could go on and on, but in general I love it because once it's seasoned, almost nothing sticks to it, it heats really evenly, and it's pretty indestructible.   
  • Heffalump said:
    Bring an extra suitcase to fill with packable gifts (towels,sheets or small items). Ship the remainder home. You might not get a lot of box gifts at the wedding. I think the trend now is to send the gift in advance via a registry or give a card and check.
    I did this for my OOT shower.  I nested a smaller suitcase inside a larger one on the way there and filled them both for the return flight.  My mom and I were going to take a bunch of stuff to the UPS store if necessary before I flew back, but all of the guests knew I was traveling so everything they gave was very packable.  (Except for that cast iron skillet, but it was so worth it--I use it almost daily.)
    Nothing like a good cast iron skillet! I use mine a lot too. It was my Mom's.

• scribe95 said:
    OT - I need to use my cast iron skillet more. What do you use it for @Heffalump ?
    I use mine for everything Heffalump said and the most awesome frittatas. Makes a really good crust.
  • Heffalump said:
    Nothing like a good cast iron skillet! I use mine a lot too. It was my Mom's.
    We have two cast irons that get used on a regular basis. 

• scribe95 said:
    I use mine for everything Heffalump said and the most awesome frittatas. Makes a really good crust.

• scribe95 said:
    Don't know why this posted twice!
  • I feel like stuff is always sticking to mine, and yes I did season it before first use. What am I doing wrong?
  • Do you put oil in it before you use it? How do you clean it? You shouldn't use dish soap. I usually run really hot water in it to loosen up stuck on stuff and use a plastic scrubby (never steel wool). Dry it thoroughly. I put mine back on my stove and heat it on high for a little bit. I then add a little oil (vegetable) and wipe it with a paper towel. Leave a layer of the oil on it when stored.

• Do you put oil in it before you use it? How do you clean it? You shouldn't use dish soap. I usually run really hot water in it to loosen up stuck on stuff and use a plastic scrubby (never steel wool). Dry it thoroughly. I put mine back on my stove and heat it on high for a little bit. I then add a little oil (vegetable) and wipe it with a paper towel. Leave a layer of the oil on it when stored.

@ILoveBeachMusic, I've seen chain mail scrubbers and brushes (in fact, we registered for one of each). Are either of those OK to use on cast iron?

@ILoveBeachMusic, I've seen chain mail scrubbers and brushes (in fact, we registered for one of each). Are either of those OK to use on cast iron?
    I wouldn't use metal on it. I use a scotch sponge with the plastic green scrubby side if I need to do so. Honestly, after awhile, you should just be able to use really hot water. The important part is to rub oil into it for storage. Mine was my Mom's and I've used it for years. I've never had a problem with stuff sticking to the point that I needed to use steel wool or the like. 

Yes, those chain mail scrubbers are specifically made for cast iron.  I also have plastic squeegee type things I use on mine.  But apparently, it IS okay to use soap on a cast iron skillet, you just don't want to scrub away all the seasoning.  Everyone I know nowadays, serious cooks all, use soap occasionally to clean their cast iron.
  • adk19 said:
    Do you put oil in it before you use it? How do you clean it? You shouldn't use dish soap. I usually run really hot water in it to loosen up stuck on stuff and use a plastic scrubby (never steel wool). Dry it thoroughly. I put mine back on my stove and heat it on high for a little bit. I then add a little oil (vegetable) and wipe it with a paper towel. Leave a layer of the oil on it when stored.

Yes, those chain mail scrubbers are specifically made for cast iron.  I also have plastic squeegee type things I use on mine.  But apparently, it IS okay to use soap on a cast iron skillet, you just don't want to scrub away all the seasoning.  Everyone I know nowadays, serious cooks all, use soap occasionally to clean their cast iron.
    OK, I guess the chain mail scrubbers are a newer thing - wasn't what I was thinking of when I answered. I was always told not to use soap and never have. I've never had a problem with mine sticking though.
  • adk19 said:
    Do you put oil in it before you use it? How do you clean it? You shouldn't use dish soap. I usually run really hot water in it to loosen up stuck on stuff and use a plastic scrubby (never steel wool). Dry it thoroughly. I put mine back on my stove and heat it on high for a little bit. I then add a little oil (vegetable) and wipe it with a paper towel. Leave a layer of the oil on it when stored.

OK, I guess the chain mail scrubbers are a newer thing - wasn't what I was thinking of when I answered. I was always told not to use soap and never have. I've never had a problem with mine sticking though.
    I think the soap is a new thing too.  Apparently FH did some serious research on it (he's the cook in our household) and did the whole, "Look, *squirt soap into cast iron* OMG the horror!  Cool, huh?" thing with me.  Because my former roommate would have cut off my head if I had put a drop of soap into her precious cast iron skillets, so I caught the soap phobia.  Anyway, all I'm saying is soap is not as much of a problem to cast iron as our grandmothers would have let us to believe.
  • Take to local UPS or FedEx store & let them wrap it up & ship it to your home. Hopefully all or at least the majority of your guests will realize you have to travel back home & just give you money. And if they do, if you can, deposit it before you head back, or put any checks/money in a safe place on your body or carry one, don't put it in any bags that you check, it may not be there if when you get home if you do.
  • jh715jh715 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I really think that if people know that you're flying in and out for the wedding, they'll be inclined to take that into consideration by either gifting envelopes or having the items shipped to your home either before or after the wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards