Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Seating Question

My venue has two long banquets (can seat up to 20 people side by side) but I was wondering about how many people should actually be sitting side by side at a table? Tables are all 2 top and are moveable and I'm well under my venue limits for number of people so spacing people out is fine. The venue has enough chairs for every person invited so I'm also not worried about having to rent or figure out other options if I don't line people up on the banquets.

We are serving family style so I wanted at least 4 people at a table grouping (two sitting on the banquet and two across), but the venue said that they have had up to eight sitting on the banquet and eight sitting across per table grouping. I know that once you go beyond two sitting on the banquet, someone has to get up to let others out.

I'm having issues uploading a drawing of the seating. If I can, I'll add later. Hopefully my question phrasing is adequate to see the issue/plan.

Thoughts?

Re: Seating Question

• Options
    I think you mean banquette benches, correct? When I first read your post I thought you meant banquet tables and was very confused. By the tables being 2 top, do you mean you would have to put 2 tables together to seat 4 people? Not knowing the "feel" for your reception I wouldn't go more than 6 together. It would be difficult for people to talk to one another with more than that (in addition to people having to move so a person can get out).
  • Options

Yes, sorry, banquette. I was typing this on my phone and I wasn't paying attention to the suggested spelling that came up. My bad for not proofing it.

Yes - all tables seat 2 people so I can pull together tables to make groupings - 2, 4, 6 or more at a bigger table that is constructed of several 2 top tables.

Agree with the talking component. Our friend groups tend to be between 4-10 people so just wasn't sure how many to stick together. I think 4-6 sounds reasonable. I don't mind getting up once or twice to let someone out from the bench, but I wouldn't want more than that.

• Options
    So people will be sitting on a bench? I would think no more than 4 on a bench, which would be typically 2 couples on the bench. That way you'd only have to ask your date to move if you had to get up. More than that and it would be really awkward and uncomfortable to be stuck in the middle of that bench! 

I think a grouping of 4 at a wedding, however, is really small. People like to socialize at weddings, and socializing with only 1 other couple (that was chosen for you!) doesn't sound too celebratory to me. I'd aim for 6-8 per table. 
  • Options
    I would do 4 tables of 2 grouped together, so 8 people in a grouping, for most, but if it makes sense for a particular group to be 3 tables together or 5 I don't think that's horrible either. 
  • Options
    Groups of 8 seem logical to me. But if you need to group more or fewer people than that together in some groups, I can see that and would be fine with it.
  • Options
    Thanks Knotties! Appreciate the feedback. I think 8 (4 on a bench ... only have to ask your SO to move) is the max but we might aim for 4-6/table grouping (2-3 on a bench).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards