Students

Woo hoo!

So I just found out that I was accepted for a PA program and I start in the fall.

We won't be getting married still until October 2017 and at this point we have most of the hard work out of the way... we have the venue, dj, photographer, food/bar is with the venue.  We have some random decorative things we have accumulated.  

When we actually get married I'll be in clinical rotations to that should be a little less stressful.  Is there anything else that you ladies would recommend getting out of the way this summer before my life descends into the dark hell that is going back to school?

Re: Woo hoo!

• Congratulations both on the engagement and on getting into the PA program!

First thing to nail down is the guest list, if you haven't already. And consider sending out Save the Dates. 

I'd consider thinking about the officiant, if you haven't figured that out. I know some brides put that off until near the end, and are then worried by deadlines like having a friend get "certified" as a minister or having to work with a minister's schedule. 

Winter Break and Summer Break are your friends, even if you are still busy during them. My best advice is to make a to-do list of big items still left to do, and try to schedule them during breaks if you can. 

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions along the process!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thank you @tigerlily6 !  The good news is we have the officiant and have worked on the guest list.  We know the list will change so I'm not sending out Save the Dates.  Most people know the date because they have asked so I don't feel like they are necessary.

I like the idea of lists for breaks!  That will be helpful.  
  • Congrats on the engagement and on getting into PA school! I'm a PA student, and I usually don't post on these types of forums, but your post scares me a little! Have you let your program know about your plans to get married during rotations?

Usually during rotations, your schedule is determined by the typical schedule of where you are rotating. For example, if you're doing an internal medicine or surgery rotation at the hospital, you'll likely be expected to work weekends. If you're rotating in primary care during your wedding month, you'd likely be working 9-5 and that'd be fine. Most schools also have a policy that you cannot miss more than one day of instruction in a rotation, or you'd have to repeat the rotation (delaying your graduation). If you haven't let them know, I'd do it as soon as possible so they can potentially accommodate your wedding into their clinical schedules. 

If you have talked to them and have this under control, ignore this! Again, congrats!
  • Congrats on the engagement and on getting into PA school! I'm a PA student, and I usually don't post on these types of forums, but your post scares me a little! Have you let your program know about your plans to get married during rotations?

Usually during rotations, your schedule is determined by the typical schedule of where you are rotating. For example, if you're doing an internal medicine or surgery rotation at the hospital, you'll likely be expected to work weekends. If you're rotating in primary care during your wedding month, you'd likely be working 9-5 and that'd be fine. Most schools also have a policy that you cannot miss more than one day of instruction in a rotation, or you'd have to repeat the rotation (delaying your graduation). If you haven't let them know, I'd do it as soon as possible so they can potentially accommodate your wedding into their clinical schedules. 

If you have talked to them and have this under control, ignore this! Again, congrats!
    Thank you!

I actually just got accepted and I've tried to talk to people about various things and have been getting the impression they want me to move at their pace and not mine!  I will plan to talk to them and see if there is anyway to schedule to rotate in primary care during my wedding month so I have that Saturday free.

I REALLY appreciate this insight.  When I'm just getting started the attitude seems to be "it will all work out" but I'm too neurotic and have been burned too many times in other situations to not be worried about that.
  • No problem! If you've just been accepted, I wouldn't worry about it too much yet. Just bask in the pre-PA school happiness! :smile: 

Once you're assigned an advisor though, I'd let them know right off the bat so they can keep it in mind. Same with your clinical advisor if you have one of those in your program.

The way rotations work varies greatly between programs. Primary care is usually a good "office hours" type rotation, but some programs even give you a vacation month and/or a research month which would also work as excellent rotations for your wedding month.  

You're probably more of a wedding planning expert than I am because I've only been engaged a few months, but if you have any concerns or worries about PA school, I'm happy to talk to you whenever! (As long as I can figure out how this forum works lol).
  • Congratulations!!! I don't know a lot about PA rotations, but do you know about any breaks you could potentially have while in school that wouldn't involve a rotation?  Re: moving at their pace, I don't know how different PA school is, but I've had to learn to be really flexible for NP, and I'm a pretty type A person.  It's been a challenge (*cough* frustrating*cough*).  Good luck!  

• No problem! If you've just been accepted, I wouldn't worry about it too much yet. Just bask in the pre-PA school happiness! :smile: 

Once you're assigned an advisor though, I'd let them know right off the bat so they can keep it in mind. Same with your clinical advisor if you have one of those in your program.

The way rotations work varies greatly between programs. Primary care is usually a good "office hours" type rotation, but some programs even give you a vacation month and/or a research month which would also work as excellent rotations for your wedding month.  

You're probably more of a wedding planning expert than I am because I've only been engaged a few months, but if you have any concerns or worries about PA school, I'm happy to talk to you whenever! (As long as I can figure out how this forum works lol).
    THANK YOU!  I can't even tell you how grateful I am about that offer and I will probably try to figure out how to message you.  I feel a little lost with this whole process and I like to be in control so basking in the glow is not working because I want to get everything done like now!

I may have some wedding planning tips but I don't think I could be called an expert... I'm just trying to get to the day and make sure I'm wearing clothes!  Haha.

I have my orientation at the end of July.  Do you know if that's about the time I would learn more about who my advisor is going to be?  Where are you going to school if you don't mind sharing.  It's nice to have some extra support because I expect this to be unexpectedly challenging!
  • @leviosaa  HAHAHA, already me.  By the end of my phone call with my financial aid advisor yesterday I just said "So basically what you're telling me is I need to chill out and just wait".  She laughed and just said "yep".  There are only breaks between semesters but many of the classes just continue through the didactic year and so I would imagine I'll have work to do during breaks.  Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards