Chit Chat

Room scents for office

We just finished a renovation at work and I have a nice new office with windows and a door (we were in terrible cubicles for months). I'm trying to make my office a pleasanter place to be and one thing that would help is a nice smell. The office is still so new it has kind of a "new office" smell of paint and plastic and whatnot. I ordered some Mrs. Meyers room spray in Lemon Verbena thinking that would definitely do the trick but frankly it smells like a cleaning product. I've tried that brand before for hand soap and have a lavender spray at home that I like but I wanted my office to not smell like my house. I've thought about an airwick type item but I suspect in this size space that's going to be kind of overpowering. Obviously candles are a no. 

Thoughts? I'm open to something that I plug in or something I spray. It just has to work for a one room space without being overpowering. There are about a million aroma diffusers out there as well just don't really know what is best and already tired of trial and error. 

Re: Room scents for office

• I know you said that candles are a no but what about wax warmers like Scentsy and now Yankee Candle has them and off brand like Walmart?

• At my old office, we used to use coffee warmers with a candle on top.
  • Have you tried Wood Wick oil diffusers. They have some nice scents that aren't too overpowering. I like the cinnamon chai but I'm partially to spice smells. They have floral and "natural" scents too.
  • I actually really like this kind. It's the shape of a cone and you can adjust how much you open it for the strength. All the way open is usually way too strong so it's nice to just crack it a small bit and then as time goes on you open it further and further. We use them for the bathroom that has our litter box.

• edited April 2016
    Yankee Candle has reeds, plug ins, wax melts and potpourri.  I like the Citrus Sage, MacIntosh, Lime anything.

• Do you share your space with other people? If so, I would definitely consult with them. As someone who is VERY sensitive to perfume and air fresheners to the point where I cannot stop sneezing and my eyes burn, I wouldn't be thrilled if one of my office mates started using anything strong to scent our space.

That said, I have fewer issues with more natural products, esp. those scented with real citrus.

ETF grammar
    QFT. As I get older, I find that intense scents give me headaches and nausea. Definitely check with any office mates.
  • I would go with the warmers or something like that over a spray. I am highly sensitive to a lot of fragrances and have yet to find an aerosol spray that doesn't make me sneezy, itchy, and want to to die. Also, if you have a small space, just getting a candle and not lighting it can be rather effective.  I have an amazing maple scented candle at home that I just leave open and rarely light... it's has an awesome, subtle scent.

• Do you share your space with other people? If so, I would definitely consult with them. As someone who is VERY sensitive to perfume and air fresheners to the point where I cannot stop sneezing and my eyes burn, I wouldn't be thrilled if one of my office mates started using anything strong to scent our space.

That said, I have fewer issues with more natural products, esp. those scented with real citrus.

ETF grammar
    QFT. As I get older, I find that intense scents give me headaches and nausea. Definitely check with any office mates.

I have my own office with a door which leads into the hallway. Others are very seldom in my office unless they are dropping something off. I keep my door closed probably about half of the day. (Our new design means that there are interior windows so people can see me even if the door is closed but I talk on the phone regarding confidential information fairly often). I wouldn't want to use anything strong enough that people in the hallway could smell it. For one I don't want to subject others to whatever I decide smells good and I also will sneeze if something is strong smelling. That is part of why I'm questing for a good smelling something that is not too strong. 

• The Renuzit brand also has a Sensitive Scents line that is much more gentle. I am sensitive to air freshener and can handle this line.
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2016
    Do you share your space with other people? If so, I would definitely consult with them. As someone who is VERY sensitive to perfume and air fresheners to the point where I cannot stop sneezing and my eyes burn, I wouldn't be thrilled if one of my office mates started using anything strong to scent our space.

ETF grammar

Yup.  I love perfume.  I am clearly not fragrance-phobic.  But I'm also a one spray and you have to right up next to me to smell me kinda person (whereas we have several in my office where you can still smell their perfume 10 minutes after they walked by. 

But I cannot stand people who scent their office strongly.  I actually have an entire section of the office I completely avoid now because this person uses Glade plug-ins and I can smell that crap from 30-40 feet away from the office as I'm approaching.  And I don't care if it normally smells good - it doesn't smell good concentrated in a tiny, tiny office.  And my poor co-worker with asthma can hardly breathe in that section of the office.  Please please please stay away from anything intended to heat up the fragrance to concentrate it and disburse it (fragrance warmers, candles, plug-ins).  Same goes for sprays - that dissipates faster, but is pretty obnoxious for the first hour or two (I have a coworker who uses Victoria Secret body sprays like it's room spray in their cubicle - ugh!).  That's fine for your own home, but not an office.  You'll become immune to the scent but everyone who has to come near you will think it's obnoxious. 

At most, I would do a small reed diffuser in a light scent, like The Body Shop's Aloe & Linen scent, tucked into the corner farthest away from the door.
  • I would avoid anything that isn't passive. Smells travel far and fast and most of the time, you owner of the smell isn't aware as they are used to the scent. I would keep an unlit candle on your desk (they are usually able to scent the area well enough without lighting) or consider applying a scented hand lotion when you need a boost. It will be minimally invasive for others but should change the scent of your room. I personally hate scented products (and my workplace is scent free) but I can appreciate that others enjoy scents.
  • I love my wall flower plug in from Bath and Body Works. They have a fresh linen scent that smells nice and clean and some great aromatherapy scents like lavender and vanilla. It might be too much depending on the size of your room. They also have scent portables that are meant for small spaces like your car. Those are nice because you can clip them anywhere and you can control the amount of fragrance a bit by opening the package up part of the way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards