Catholic Weddings

Who do I include in Catholic Service?

I'm having Roman Catholic service, not mass since my FI is not baptized. I know I will have a reader for the first and second reading as well as the prayer of the faithful. I will probably need 3 ushers as well. Is there anyone else I am forgetting? Who did you use for your ceremony? I want to make sure I ask everyone so they have enough time to come in for the rehearsal (most of my extended family is from out of town).

Re: Who do I include in Catholic Service?

• I answered on the etiquette board, but I thought I'd add a bit more detail here.

We had:
    Altar servers-2 from the church, who we paid.  DH does have some cousins that do this, but they're younger and we didn't want them to be stressed by learning a new set up.  YMMV
    1st reader-my grandpa
    2nd reader-DH's cousin, who he's very close to.  
    Prayers of the faithful-another close cousin of DH's
    Flower girl-my cousin
    Ring bearer-my godson/cousin
    People to bring up the gifts-2 of DH's cousins and one of mine

We didn't have ushers, but my church is huge, so even with our 130 guests, there was a ton of space.  If we'd been at DH's childhood church, we would've had ushers, since it's so small.  
  • Ushers aren't really needed. Sometimes there is a server or two, but they can make do without when its not a mass. (or provide one from the parish). 
    There is no need for gift bearers because it isn't a mass. 
  • For our readings, my godmother did the first reading and one of my husband's friends did the second.   One of my other friends did the prayers ofthe faithful.  
  • I actually just set up all the details with our parish today. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!

Here's the list of persons generally involved, at least in my experience:
    • 2 readers (We're having one of my close friends and FI's uncle)
    • Ushers (may or may not be required -- we are not having any -- check with your parish)
    • Bearers of the Gifts (you may not need this since you are not having a full Mass, but if you end up having one, these are usually two honored guests [who should be Catholic] who present the hosts and wine to the priest)

• Eucharistic Minister (once again, you may not need one depending on the number of guests and whether you are celebrating Communion  during the ceremony-- check with your parish)

• Two witnesses (usually the Best Man and Maid/Matron of Honor -- but technically they could be any honored guests if you don't have a formal wedding party)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards