Snarky Brides
Options

Bad etiquette contagion

The incidence of bad wedding related etiquette is growing amongst my friends. We just attended a DW where the rehearsal dinner had a cash bar - for both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. Between fall of 2015 and fall of 2016 we have or will attend four weddings. Every single one has a cash registry of some form, and the two to come include a dress code. One is formal and one is semi-formal - I assume they will be high-school dance themed.  

The internets is infected with bad ideas. 

Re: Bad etiquette contagion

• Options
    I have heard of too many people considering cash registries lately! I always point out that they don't get all the money if they use a website. If they are just thinking about asking for cash, I try and steer them toward the "we are saving for X" line. I'm of the older generation and most of my friends are offended by asking for cash/cash registries.
  • Options
    There was a big FB conversation about cash registries and half of the responses were "if they think it's tacky, they don't have to donate to it."

• Options
    I've had several ladies at work suggest that I set up a cash registry. They are flabbergasted that we aren't having any registry for gifts and have told me that people like guidance. I've told them that we don't expect any gifts and that the cash registry take money to operate. Most people were honestly surprised at that tidbit. 
  • Options
    There was a big FB conversation about cash registries and half of the responses were "if they think it's tacky, they don't have to donate to it."

Ugh. "Donate."  They're not a charity, and snarky me would ask to see their non-profit status application.

But yay, Tina Fey!
    SITB Yes, the word "donate" gets me every time. I make donations to charity. Your honeymoon/house downpayment/whatever is not a charity. Unless it's tax deductible it's a gift, not a donation.  
  • Options
    @badbnagdway and @scrunchythiefyeah, use of the word donate was theirs not mine!  They also advocated for a honeymoon jar at showers!  <sarcasm font>You know, just in case your gift wasn't generous enough!</sarcasm font>
  • Options
    Friend posted on FB that she has found the venue for her bridal shower! This is the person who also threw herself a baby shower. Face palm!!
  • Options
    wait people have venues for bridal showers now? I thought it was just, invite 20 people over and serve snacks?

• Options
    wait people have venues for bridal showers now? I thought it was just, invite 20 people over and serve snacks?

I've been to a couple at restaurants. however - both were hosted by a MOH or Bridesmaid that lived in a large city and had no capacity for 20+ people in their home (apartment or condo)

Venues like, wedding venues. That shit is too much. 
  • Options

Also does anyone else totally hate bridal showers? I've been to a few and they've always been boring stuffy present opening parties with dumb games and not enough alcohol.
    Also - yes. I don't know - like, I get the point of a registry, but when the B&G pick out their own gifts in advance, I'm not really interested in seeing them open it. I know they'll like it, they picked it!
  • Options

Also does anyone else totally hate bridal showers? I've been to a few and they've always been boring stuffy present opening parties with dumb games and not enough alcohol.
    Also - yes. I don't know - like, I get the point of a registry, but when the B&G pick out their own gifts in advance, I'm not really interested in seeing them open it. I know they'll like it, they picked it!
    Then buy off-registry? I think most of the showed I go to have about 10-30% off-registry gifts, and those are always the best. Seeing a bride open a framed collage of her and her FI, or a set of 4 baskets with decor and entertaining tools for each season (two that I saw at the last 2 showers I was at) is much more fun than the towels she picked out, but not really something every guest is comfortable giving. 
  • Options

Then buy off-registry? I think most of the showed I go to have about 10-30% off-registry gifts, and those are always the best. Seeing a bride open a framed collage of her and her FI, or a set of 4 baskets with decor and entertaining tools for each season (two that I saw at the last 2 showers I was at) is much more fun than the towels she picked out, but not really something every guest is comfortable giving. 

Yes - some gifts off registry are very nice and something I will certainly do for close friends. I'm still generally pretty bored by the whole gift opening thing, especially when the bride picked out a lot of the gifts herself. I was responding to a post that said, "does anyone else totally hate bridal showers" and I said "yes I think they're boring"
  • Options

Exactly what I was thinking, along with "you aren't suppose to host your own bridal shower".
  • Options
    My best friend runs a catering company and this weekend she received an email from a bride who asked if they can eliminate appetizers for cocktail hour because the linens she chose are more expensive than she budgeted for.

Her real response (to me, not the client) was 1. why is that my problem and 2. your guests are going to hate you.
  • Options
    My best friend runs a catering company and this weekend she received an email from a bride who asked if they can eliminate appetizers for cocktail hour because the linens she chose are more expensive than she budgeted for.

Her real response (to me, not the client) was 1. why is that my problem and 2. your guests are going to hate you.
    What? No. People love sacrificing their own comfort for the bride's vision. 
  • Options
    My sister-in-laws are bridesmaids for an upcoming PPD.  The MOB threw the shower and complained that my sister-in-laws "didn't do anything" for the bride.  Bleh, I normally don't get offended by alot of these etiquette blunders but this one, I'm highly offended and sooo not looking forward to going to the PPD.
  • Options

Since my H and myself have a relative size family, my bridal shower was thrown in a party room because the one who wanted to host the party lived too far and realized she didn't have the space.

Tbh I think it depends on who's hosting. There was fun games that involved everyone because I specifically wanted everyone to enjoy themselves. I wasn't in it for the gifts, for me this was extended family meeting each other and my bridesmaids.
  • Options
    TrixieJessTrixieJess member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2016

To be fair, most of the showers I've been to have been 50+ people. I don't think I've ever been to a wedding shower at someone's house. It has either been at a church hall or conference centre.

ETA: All the showers I've attended have been full lunches. 
  • Options

To be fair, most of the showers I've been to have been 50+ people. I don't think I've ever been to a wedding shower at someone's house. It has either been at a church hall or conference centre.

I've been to showers with full lunches and ones with heavy snacks. I've never been to a shower that was at a restaurant (there is nothing wrong with that). It is probably a circles thing. My side eye for this particular shower was the way she announced finding a "venue" on FB and hosting her own shower. Now I'm waiting to get the FB invitation like I did to her baby shower.
  • Options

I think it depends on the area. I come from the south and showers were always as you described- at someone's home, hors d'oeuvres and cake, fairly casual and laid-back. I moved out of state to western NY and every bridal and baby shower I've been to here has been at a rented room. Like it's just the norm here- always at some kind of banquet hall with a catered meal. And like 50-100 people in attendance. It's still kind of baffling to me. I can't help but think the amount of money the hosts spend on these affairs and how it could be put towards actual wedding expenses, but hey, to each their own.
  • Options
    My MIL is disabled. She would never have been able to go up the 2-3 stairs to get to someone's house. We had the shower at the community room in an apartment complex. Sometimes you have to rent a room.

Mine was a tea party. I loved it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards