Chit Chat

Malapropisms - my personal hell

Re: Malapropisms - my personal hell

• I have a coworker who tacks on "a minute" to sentences about things she is doing. So she will say "going to the back a minute". I desperately want to emphasize to her that she is missing a word in there. It's "FOR a minute". Without that word, your sentence makes no sense! Sadly, the example I gave is the most coherent way she uses it. 
  • And I LOATHE the dropped infinitive.  

If your floor is dirty it needs to be mopped.  Do not say,"The floor needs mopped."
  • H says "acrost" instead of across. As in "The table was six feet acrost." It really annoys me. 
    My H does that too! But only sometimes, and the one time I pointed it out he claimed he didn't say "acrost," even though he totally did. But it must be a family thing, because MIL says it all the time.

Also "I could care less". That means you still care. If you COULDN'T care less, you're done caring.

Yes! Why would anyone think "I could care less" would make any sense? Unless you are literally saying you care a little bit.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a coworker who adds "or whatever" to every other sentence. A middle-aged man should not sound like a teenager. Grr.
  • You guys have already called out most of mine.  But the other day a co-worker was telling me a story that I have to share.  She had some people over to her place after a night out.  Someone fell over and broke a corner off a glass end table.  She was "just living.  Absolutely living!"  She kicked everyone out of her house, cleaned up, and went to bed.  Sigh.  How do you correct that without sounding like a douche?
  • adk19 said:
    You guys have already called out most of mine.  But the other day a co-worker was telling me a story that I have to share.  She had some people over to her place after a night out.  Someone fell over and broke a corner off a glass end table.  She was "just living.  Absolutely living!"  She kicked everyone out of her house, cleaned up, and went to bed.  Sigh.  How do you correct that without sounding like a douche?
    I mean, she didn't die, so at least she wasn't lying.

• TyvmTyvm member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    @drunkenwitch have you seen Word Crimes by Weird Al? So good. I must admit I also learnt something watching it for the first time. 

@Greenjinjo Every time I think of Word Crimes, I think of its potential to be abused. It is a parody, it is not an instructional tool (as an instructional tool it's: (1) poorly designed, and (2) ableist and classist - i.e., you're a "moron", "dumb mouth-breather", raised in a sewer, "a lost cause", etc. if you don't speak perfect English). It's particularly frustrating when randos refer to it as "like Schoolhouse Rock" because it really isn't. P
    eople who "don't know how to conjugate" or what a preposition is, aren't going to know by the end of that song. So, yeah. I'm always suuuuuuper careful of any references I make to that song. The song by itself is a parody, the way people use it and the way children [and adults] of poor educational backgrounds are exposed to it, are what concerns me.

And in light of everything else in this thread, there's been some introductory research on how "grammar police" are "less agreeable" (correlational), on the Big Five Personality Index. I'm not the world's largest fan of the BFI (or any personality index), so take that with a grain of salt, lol. The article is here, if you're interested in poking around a bit of a survey experiment: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0149885

k thnx bye

• Some of my favorites from facebook- "my new apartment has a huge walking closet!", "I seen that movie last weekend".

• Another one: When people use "whenever" instead of "when". As in, when somebody is talking about a specific event in the past, like a party last Saturday: "It was so fun whenever Jim and Suzie came to our BBQ!"

I admit that I watch the Duggar shows once in a while, and those kids ALWAYS do this. I mean, there are definitely times when you can use either, though it changes the meaning of a sentence, but I cannot stand when people use "whenever" to refer to a specific, singular event.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Errant apostrophes drive me up the wall.  Like, this is an extra step you are taking that makes your writing worse.  Just don't do it!  My boss is a huge offender, and he writes press releases and such.

My partner used to have a friend who did the missing infinitive thing.  "This car needs washed."  It was just one of many objectionable traits of that awful man.  Thankfully they are no longer friends.

"Could care less" is probably my #1 pet peeve.  HOW DO YOU NOT REALIZE THAT YOU ARE SAYING THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU MEAN?!?  If you could NOT care less, it indicates that your caring is already as low as it can go.  But if you could care less, you must care at least a little bit.

Two from my partner: he says that things are poignant when he means they are very important/noteworthy.  Like "A new VP of sales was appointed today.  That's very poignant for the business."  He also pronounces the word "gnarly" as guh-nard-lee.  I used to think this was a jokey way of emphasizing it, the way you sometimes do a funny accent or something, but now I've heard him say it several times over the course of our relationship and he has always pronounced it that way.  There is one more he does that I am wracking my brain to remember, but he uses a very similar sounding word instead of one word he means all. the. time.  If I remember I will post later.
  • Another: "heighth" instead of height. Arrrrghhhh.
  • @Tyvm oh definitely! I understand it is a parody and there are some word choices that are questionable (specifically the ones you pointed out). 

Had a quick look at that link you posted, looks interesting. Will have to check it out after work I think! Too early in the morning, not enough coffee! 

Just thought of something else - 10 items or less at the grocery store. It should be 10 items or FEWER! 
  • @Tyvm oh definitely! I understand it is a parody and there are some word choices that are questionable (specifically the ones you pointed out). 

Had a quick look at that link you posted, looks interesting. Will have to check it out after work I think! Too early in the morning, not enough coffee! 

Just thought of something else - 10 items or less at the grocery store. It should be 10 items or FEWER! 
    Less/fewer and amount/number really get me. 

"The amount of people here is surprising." WRONG.
    "There are less birds in this tree than there were yesterday." WRONG.

I was taught that if it is measurable in specific units, then you should use "fewer" or "number". I am not sure why that is so confusing to people.

There is less liquid in that bucket, and also fewer cups of liquid in that bucket. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a colleague who constantly misuses common phrases. It drives me up the wall. I used to correct her, but its all the gd time and there comes a point when you either have to zip it or you look like a real dick.

Today she was on fire, and no one else at work seems to notice. A few of her absolute favourites are:

- For all intensive purposes
    - It's a mute point
    - Flagging a dead horse
    - Lets centre check that spreadsheet

I know it's harmless, but all the same....it's my irrational irritation. Anyone else feel itchy when someone does this? Any good ones to add?
    You should try to convince your co-worker that it's a Moo Point.  Then you can at least get a giggle when she that.  It's just Moo.
    It's a cow's opinion! (Joey from Friends)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Ha ha! These get me too.

DH and I use "irregardless" and "all of the sudden" just for fun, between us ;).

"Hence why" also gets me now. It is either "hence" or "why", as they essentially mean the same thing. I use to say "hence why" myself, and I annoyed DH, so he started correcting me.... now it's got me.
  • Another: "heighth" instead of height. Arrrrghhhh.

My FFIL! Even after I showed him the dictionary. I promise I'm not that person, he drags it out of me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• SP29 said:
    Ha ha! These get me too.

DH and I use "irregardless" and "all of the sudden" just for fun, between us ;).

"Hence why" also gets me now. It is either "hence" or "why", as they essentially mean the same thing. I use to say "hence why" myself, and I annoyed DH, so he started correcting me.... now it's got me.
    We use irregardless for fun too!

I once heard an HMV employee use the word 'gestate' incorrectly. Now we use all the time in almost any context. We are just too hilarious in my house  :p

• And like I like totally like hate like the people who like constantly misuse like the word like. 

You sound like a fucking idiot.  For the love of humanity, like stop like talking.

• My future MIL calls Walmart "WalmartSSS". It drives me crazy.
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

a guy just posted on fb "Thank you Trump for giving prompts to Hispanics in this country......"  Guess it was in relation so some Cinco de Mayo thing Trump posted, idk, but really "prompts" not "props". He does things like that all the time, so it's more of he is an idiot and less of a typo issue.  And he's a teacher.

• madamerwinmadamerwin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2016
    I know this is veering away from malapropisms and into the territory of plain stupidity, but I read a product review online this morning, and TWICE in it, the writer used "dint" in place of "didn't". I mean, they DO sound the same, but did you not go to elementary school? Do you not realize "didn't" is short for "did not"? Had she done it just once, I would forgive it as a typo, but twice shows me that you really think "dint" is a word.

ETA one of my favorite Buzzfeed lists of all time: https://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/too-dumb-to-function
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • MCmeowMCmeow member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Is English her second language? Just wondering because it is for me. I learned English at five but you wouldn't be able to tell from my accent, so common phrases can be confusing. Im very guilty of these things haha. Could be my Queens accent too. I say fustrated, scuze-me, yuge, pixxa, etc. and I avoid phrases because I'm going to misuse them, so I sympathize with all the people mentioned here :p 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SaintPaulGalSaintPaulGal member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2016
    I know this is veering away from malapropisms and into the territory of plain stupidity, but I read a product review online this morning, and TWICE in it, the writer used "dint" in place of "didn't". I mean, they DO sound the same, but did you not go to elementary school? Do you not realize "didn't" is short for "did not"? Had she done it just once, I would forgive it as a typo, but twice shows me that you really think "dint" is a word.

ETA one of my favorite Buzzfeed lists of all time: https://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/too-dumb-to-function
    Well in his or her defense, "dint" IS a word.  It certainly doesn't mean anything close to "didn't," though.
  • I know this is veering away from malapropisms and into the territory of plain stupidity, but I read a product review online this morning, and TWICE in it, the writer used "dint" in place of "didn't". I mean, they DO sound the same, but did you not go to elementary school? Do you not realize "didn't" is short for "did not"? Had she done it just once, I would forgive it as a typo, but twice shows me that you really think "dint" is a word.

Well in his or her defense, "dint" IS a word.  It certainly doesn't mean anything close to "didn't."
    Well yes, of course. But she did not mean a blow or strike, or a hollow impression in a surface. That would have drastically changed the meaning of her review.

Spell check would not pick up "dint" as a mistake, the same as how it does not pick up "allot" when my colleague uses it instead of "a lot." But, in my opinion, spell check not picking up an error is no excuse for poor grammar/spelling.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My FSIL says "supposably" all the time and it drives me crazy! I have even made a point to say it correctly and clearly in front of her hoping she would catch on but nope. She also says "Ill give it a world". 
  • I dated a guy who would always say "Let's get together sooner than later" instead of "sooner rather than later." I understood what he meant, but it was so annoying for some reason. When I broke up with him (for unrelated reasons) I brought it up, halfway in jest, and I think he was pretty offended. Oh well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards