Chit Chat
Options

Baby Fever

As I'm sure it normal for most of us, people's kids or pregnancy announcements from friends pop up on my newsfeed regularly. In the last month or so, though, it feels like there's been a surge and I'm inundated by babies on the daily. A few years ago that didn't phase me too much, but it really is now. FI's turning 30 this year (I'm 28) and he recently realized just how much he wants kids, and has been talking about how he's so excited to build a family. This is not helping. 

FI and I hope to wait a year or so after we're married to try to build up some more savings/ settle our lives a little better before TTC, but damn, the fever is bad. 

It's probably a good thing our lease only allows for one pet, or else I'd probably be at the shelter adopting all the puppies and kittens to try to assuage my ovaries for the interim. 

Anybody else in this boat with me?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Baby Fever

• Options
    This past week I have had baby fever. Normally, I am good just thinking about someday but last week I just wanted to be pregnant. No idea why, I feel better now.
  • Options
    I *was* there right around 6 years ago.   I wanted babies and I wanted them right away!  We're blessed with the two we have and I love them.

But I have to say I'm really excited that our first trip away from both kids is coming at a time in my cycle that I'm not fertile.   Barry White songs are already playing in my head.

I'd honestly recommend seeing friends with kids - especially young ones - to help curb the urge.   See your female friend talk about how she hasn't showered in days and look at her clothing to see is it spit up, poop or both.   I have no regrets about having my kids but I have to say I'm glad we didn't rush into it.   Even when we did my daughter as a major shock to the system. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    I *was* there right around 6 years ago.   I wanted babies and I wanted them right away!  We're blessed with the two we have and I love them.

But I have to say I'm really excited that our first trip away from both kids is coming at a time in my cycle that I'm not fertile.   Barry White songs are already playing in my head.

I'd honestly recommend seeing friends with kids - especially young ones - to help curb the urge.   See your female friend talk about how she hasn't showered in days and look at her clothing to see is it spit up, poop or both.   I have no regrets about having my kids but I have to say I'm glad we didn't rush into it.   Even when we did my daughter as a major shock to the system. 
    Hahaha, I hope you and your H have a great trip! Sounds like it should be good! I've been monitoring my charts pretty carefully and praying my next two cycles are regular -- I'd be on Day 4 or 5 our wedding day, if so. If it turns out I'm further along in my cycle, it's gonna be rough.  

As for visiting friends, I'm hoping this will help. One of my close friends from my childhood home just had her first, and I know it has definitely been no cake walk. I'm hoping to visit her in about a month. I have a feeling it will either help the urge or worsen it, or maybe both. 

• Options
    It comes and goes for me. Seeing one or two individual babies warms my ovaries. Being around a lot of kids makes me get in my car, go back to my quiet home, and relish being alone. 

But, as DH and I literally just moved into our first 2-bed home, with the second bedroom intentionally being for a future child, I'm kind of like, hmmm when are we taking the goalie out of the game?  But I won't ask him yet because he'll be all, "Can't we just enjoy ourselves for a bit and relax?"

• Options
    Right after the wedding I had it really bad; I think I spent so much time planning the wedding in my head it just seemed like the next thing to focus on and start planning..I wanted to clear all of the wedding boards off my Pinterest and it seemed like baby stuff was my platform (I know this isn't the right reason to have a kid, which is why we didn't, but maybe you can relate which is why I'm sharing)

H and I decided we wanted to wait at least 1 full year before TTC, and since then I've definitely enjoyed our alone time together and while I definitely want kids in the near future, I'm happy with where I am right now.
  • Options
    Just ask to babysit some high energy kids for an extended weekend so the parents can go out of town - problem solved LOL... 
  • Options

H sent me a picture of this beautiful bull mastiff a few weeks ago.

I'm pretty sure the feelings I had for that dog were the same feelings most women get with their baby fever.

I love this. And my comment in my OP about getting another dog or cat is totally true. I have definitely been trying to escape all the babies on FB by browsing PetFinder and looking up puppies. We have a two year old red heeler right now, and I really would like to get him a buddy to play with. 

One of my FB friends just had a baby AND got a new puppy at the same time. I know in reality that must be insane and a ton of poop to clean up, but the photos are killing me with cuteness. 

• Options
    lnixon8lnixon8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I know it doesn't matter, everyone's life has its own schedule but... it's hard to be rationale about these things! H and I are right in between his two sisters: 21 and 31 years old.

21 YO got pregnant a month after 31 YO lost hers at 8 wk mark in a car accident. 31 YO has been trying and it is really hard now that 21 YO had her baby last week. 

We had a timeline... after we both turn 28 next March we will take one more AI fun trip to Jamaica with other couples and remove my nuva ring. But now Zika has thrown a wrench into that plan. My Mom also went through menopause at 33 so I don't exactly have time on my side :(

• Options
    I'm right there with you! I'm not sure about the suggestions of watching or visiting with babies because every time I get to see and hold my nephew my ovaries go crazy! Yea I see my SIL is exhausted, I get that he cries and spits up and makes awful smells. But all it takes is one smile from that kid and I know I want one!

I also have puppy fever as our apartment only lets us have the hamsters it means I am now waiting for two things I want so badly and I swear everyone on facebook is either having a baby or getting a puppy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lnixon8 said:
    I know it doesn't matter, everyone's life has its own schedule but... it's hard to be rationale about these things! H and I are right in between his two sisters: 21 and 31 years old.

21 YO got pregnant a month after 31 YO lost hers at 8 wk mark in a car accident. 31 YO has been trying and it is really hard now that 21 YO had her baby last week. 

We had a timeline... after we both turn 28 next March we will take one more AI fun trip to Jamaica with other couples and remove my nuva ring. But now Zika has thrown a wrench into that plan. My Mom also went through menopause at 33 so I don't exactly have time on my side :(
    Ugh, I can only imagine how hard that must be for the older sister. No matter what age you are, it's got to be so difficult to see others with a baby after miscarriage, especially one so dramatic like being in a car accident. My heart goes out to her. 

The Zika thing gets me also. I know that technically everything is supposed to be fine if you aren't TTC for a few months after exposure, but it still just freaks me out. Especially since FI and I plan on doing NFP after we're married, even if we're not TTC, it just seems like a risk we're not willing to take. I think it's Northern Hemisphere vacations for us for a while. 

• Options
    I feel you!  We're TTA for the foreseeable future, and even though we have one amazing baby, I still get googly eyed over the thought of more.  I have to frequently remind myself of how horrific pregnancy was for me.

Come up with a solid plan for what to do during fertile times while TTA.  We'd meant to wait longer and between baby fever and not a good enough plan, we got DD.  We're thrilled with her, but we need to plan better now:)
  • Options

H sent me a picture of this beautiful bull mastiff a few weeks ago.

I'm pretty sure the feelings I had for that dog were the same feelings most women get with their baby fever.

Yup. I see my dog play with others at the park and I'm all "he needs someone to play with all the time!!" H shuts that down pretty quick.

I don't know, I go back and forth on the babies (so does H). There are days where we're both on board and feeling the baby fever, and then there are days I can't imagine our life with a kid.
  • Options
    I feel you!  We're TTA for the foreseeable future, and even though we have one amazing baby, I still get googly eyed over the thought of more.  I have to frequently remind myself of how horrific pregnancy was for me.

Come up with a solid plan for what to do during fertile times while TTA.  We'd meant to wait longer and between baby fever and not a good enough plan, we got DD.  We're thrilled with her, but we need to plan better now:)
    Well, my new plan now is to hang a poster of that photo @drglitter shared above the bed. If that doesn't kill the mood, then it's a sign. 

• Options
    lnixon8 said:

Ugh, I can only imagine how hard that must be for the older sister. No matter what age you are, it's got to be so difficult to see others with a baby after miscarriage, especially one so dramatic like being in a car accident. My heart goes out to her. 

The Zika thing gets me also. I know that technically everything is supposed to be fine if you aren't TTC for a few months after exposure, but it still just freaks me out. Especially since FI and I plan on doing NFP after we're married, even if we're not TTC, it just seems like a risk we're not willing to take. I think it's Northern Hemisphere vacations for us for a while. 
    We were in Jamaica in early April for a wedding. I get that there are Zika concerns in that country but I saw maybe one mosquito and it was inland in the woods on a farm, not anywhere near the beaches. 

On baby fever - I am the opposite I guess of everyone else. I really like babies and children, or "baby children" as the cute little 6 year old neighbor calls them. I have also never really felt strongly one way or the other about having them. I think that's atypical - but when I imagined my life I pretty much have always thought I would be very happy with kids, and also very happy without kids.  I think maybe because as a teenager my dad started on his second family and I was permanent babysitter to my much younger sisters I have kind of felt like I had the child rearing experience so it doesn't feel crucial. Before we got married we talked about kids and my H said he felt strongly that he wanted kids someday. I was cool with that because again, I like kids, I just have never felt like I HAVE to have kids. 

Now that we're married I still do not feel like I'm in a rush to have kids, and frankly H does not seem like he is either. He says we should wait another year. The problem is I will be 35 next year so we're really pushing the fertility envelope. Also, when I think about it the idea of fostering to adopt gets me more excited and passionate than bearing my own kids for some reason. 
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    drglitter said:
    I have had baby fever bad for a while now. My ovaries start to twitch if I even look at a baby. Luckily for me, FH has it too so at least he understands.

Maybe this will help?

^ I'd like to say that this photo is an extreme, but with three babies under two, I deal with this at least once a day :#  They're a blessing but it's been quite a life change.  Heck, I even sat out from TK these last two years!
  • Options
    Instead of baby fever, I have travel fever! I know I don't want kids so I think it is fine to have a substitute fever :)
  • Options
    I have babies on the brain pretty bad. We went to 8 weddings two years ago in 2014 and now there are 8 babies here/on their way. All of these are either close family members or close friends. It's SO fun and exciting meeting these little guys and gals and it's incredibly tempting to want to give them a buddy to hang out with.

DH and I have some really fun trips planned this summer (including wine country, so... really don't want to be pregnant for that), but we are going to start trying in September. DH is really excited too and it's fun to start thinking about expanding our family. Two things I've done recently is come off birth control pills to let my body adjust, and I started taking prenatal vitamins (doctor recommended when I told her I'd be trying within the year). 

• Options
    Not having kids, but I get this way with cats, seriously. When it was really bad I would constantly stop at Petcos and Petsmarts all over town to visit their adoption center and see the kitties. Several times I came perilously close to bringing one home. 
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    It goes in cycles for me.

I love babies (right now, I love other people's babies ;)). Sometimes I think about how I'd like one, and I think about how in the future it would be nice to come home to a house full of children, watch them grown and do all those milestone parent things you get to do. Then there are other times where I honestly think I could live with just DH and a house full of cats.

We're holding off for a few years. Being selfish right now. Some small trips planned, wanting to buy a house, and I've got some running races planned that I wan to accomplish first.
  • Options
    cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    I'm also pregnant and in the throes of all day nausea, which makes me seriously question how people have babies all the time. 

But, I'm glad DH and I had almost a year of just being married. It was the best time. We had planned to start trying after a year, but learned that it may be difficult for us so started trying about 7 months in. Jokes on us though because I got pregnant the third cycle. 
  • Options
    Not having kids, but I get this way with cats, seriously. When it was really bad I would constantly stop at Petcos and Petsmarts all over town to visit their adoption center and see the kitties. Several times I came perilously close to bringing one home. 
    Me too! I was just commenting about having "kitten fever" the other day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    FH is sterile, so we can't have biological children.  I have baby fever so bad right now tho. We wanted to wait a couple years to have children, but I keep wondering about how long the adoption process will be. I want to start that journey soon after we get married (October) but what if we get lucky and are able to adopt a child in under a year? But I don't want to put it off and be unlucky and not be able to adopt in a quick period of time. 
    I briefly interned at an adoption agency and the parent wait list was huge. Yes there are always babies to be adopted, but it's a long process to get approved and some people waited years to be matched. 

For now, FH and I are looking into adopting a cat. Haha. 
  • Options
    Days like today really give me baby fever .... I just pray we can adopt
    Keeping you in my prayers, Guac! It sounds like you make a big impact already on a lot of kids lives, and I'm positive you will your own someday, one way or another!

And @PaperTigersx, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers also! I have several close friends who have adopted, and I know the process can take a while. But it is so heartwarming to see both the parents and the child so loved by one another. Best of luck; and enjoy being a kitty-momma for now! :)

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Sometimes I have it...it makes me sad because I don't think I can physically conceive and give birth so any child I have wouldn't be my own biological child.
  • Options
    I get cat and dog fever, too, and we already have a houseful!

@Jen4948, I feel your pain. We definitely want to adopt once it's legal for us to do so, but I think FW has some regrets about only having one biological child. I get baby fever occasionally too, but right now, I'm content to be an aunt and a (soon-to-be) stepmother.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards