Attire & Accessories Forum

Anyone lost a ring at Kay jewelers? I just read a scary article now I'm worried.

i just read this article http://www.today.com/style/women-accuse-kay-jewelers-losing-or-ruining-their-engagement-rings-t88431 and am worried about sending my ring in to be inspected / repaired.  Yikes! Anyone have experience with a lost or broken ring after it went into be repaired / inspected at Kay's?  Should I forget the warranty and just go somewhere else??

Re: Anyone lost a ring at Kay jewelers? I just read a scary article now I'm worried.

• Kay Jewelers is a chain store for retail sales.  They do not have jewelers who repair or resize rings on site.  They send their items out to an independent local jeweler for this.  Once in a while you get a bad apple. 
    If you are really concerned, find a local independent full service jeweler to inspect your ring.  There should be no charge for this.  Repairs will cost.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I think I spent more money on my e-ring (well, technically FI did) and our wedding bands by buying from a local independent jeweler than if I had stuck with Kay's or another chain. However, when I went into the big chains it felt so impersonal. 

Our local independent jeweler offered a life Time warranty for free (but keep In mind the Jewelry was more than buying from a chain)
    also, their jeweler comes to them and does repairs, etc at the shop. They have 2 other locations and the rings, to my knowledge, don't leave where you drop them off at. 
    search around...I would bet most places offer good warrenties if they care about their customers. 
  • If you have a rider on your insurance, I wouldn't worry about it. Read the fine print on your own policy but my rider includes when my ring is given to licensed jeweller for inspection/repair. 

Good time to make sure you have your ring (and other special jewelry) on a rider. A rider means that you get your full price back and it typically eliminates or significantly reduces your deductible. Most insurance plans limit the amount of payout on jewelry if it is not on a rider. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards