Attire & Accessories Forum

Would this dress be unflattering?

I'm looking at dresses for my simple Florida beach wedding.  I'm not completely sure of my body type, perhaps inverted triangle?  I have slim hips, great legs, and a defined waist, but I have broad shoulders & ribs and I tend to carry noticeably more weight around my upper body - tummy, arms, chest/back area.  Hiding my arms a bit is a priority.

Dress #1 - I've tried on and loved it.  It hides some of the arm fat and seems pretty flattering.  However I keep looking at Dress #2  - it's so pretty, but I'm wondering if these "sleeves" would actually make me look broader!?  I'm concerned the pretty detailing will end up drawing all the attention to the area I want to hide.  What do you think?

Dress #1:

Dress #2

Re: Would this dress be unflattering?

• You need to try these dresses on. There's no way to really tell if something is flattering until it's on you. Everyone's body is completely different. 
  • I have tried on #1 but #2 is a looong drive (4ish hours total).  I might have to just suck it up and do it.  :#
  • I would do it. Honestly, I was totally dead set against having a strapless dress, and I wanted lace. As you can see below, I ended up with a strapless non-lace dress. The best thing to do it get the dress on your body, and even then, try on dresses you wouldn't normally go for.
  • I agree that you need to try it on. That being said I would think #2 would accentuate your arms and shoulders.
  • I have broad shoulders and I think #2 would look bad on me but it is hard to say what it would look like without pix of you in it.
  • Go on the drive!  Really...  Unless you try it on you won't know.  Unless you already know what looks great on your body for cuts and style, you've got to try it on to see "This looks great, WOW! - couldn't have asked for something better!" or "OMG what the heck was I thinking - I look like something out of the late 70's!".. 

• I think dress #2 is going to add volume to the shoulders and upper arm area. I would think a style like that would be more flattering on someone who is a bit more pear-shaped and looking to balance out their lower half. I'm more apple-shaped, and I know my bust/shoulders would look enormous in a style like that.

For sure try taking pictures of yourself from the side and straight on when you try it on.  See how it "translates" in pictures, since that's not always the same as how it looks in person.

• I kinda liked the vibe of the dress # 1. It's so airy and the sleeve details are sexy! :) Dress #2 is charming enough. I second the above recommendations - try it on, and go from there! You'll never know if #2 is much more flattering for you or not! 

• What's your height?  I have a similar build but I am only 5'2".  I tried on two dresses similar to this by Saja.  Seriously, the second style was absolutely laughable because of my shoulders.  
  • Dress 1 all day long! X
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I much prefer dress 1. I prefer a halter or deep V style for broad shoulders (draws the eye vertically rather than horizontally). I think the wide neck of #2 is just going to accentuate that rather than hide it.
  • lnixon8lnixon8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I like the first one more. 

But I can't honestly say that if my best friend asked me to pick a Saturday and treat me to lunch on the way that I wouldn't be into making a stupid road trip for her to try it on (but this is semi-typical for us)

• if you could show us yourself in the dresses you can block out your face if you dont want to be seen it would help us better determine what would work for you 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards