Chit Chat

Same dress disaster?!

I was sitting with my friend tonight and we are attending each other's weddings this year. Hers is July 31 and mine is September 18. We were talking plans and such, and we happened to find out we have the exact same dress. Even down to the sash! I called the bridal shop and they will do exchange and I would have to buy off the rack because it is so close to the wedding date. Would it be a big deal to have the same dress? Our guest list will be generally the same people as well! Am I overreacting?

Re: Same dress disaster?!

• I'm with @OurWildKingdom - I'd chalk this up to a fun coincidence. If it really bothers you, maybe decide on different sashes? People will notice this far less than you think.
  • Stick with the dress you've chosen - you chose it for a reason!  Even if people notice, and chances are, they won't, just roll with it!  Once you accessorize and alter the dress to your body, then add some flowers, the chances of people noticing are slim.  It just shows you both have great tastes in dresses for your bodies...  Save the money (the chances are you won't find an even $$$$ amount dress to exchange it for and yada yada, no reason to spend more on a dress you'll wear once just because your friend has great tastes in formalwear! 

• I wouldn't change! You love your dresses, just go with it. Most people won't notice.

• Don't worry about it.   It's not like you're wearing them at the same time!
  • I mean, multiple brides are going to buy the same mass-produced dress; that's kind of how it works. You two will very likely be the only people who notice because wedding dresses don't really vary all that much. In fact, back around the time I got married, I saw a college friend's wedding pictures on FB and his bride had on the same dress I picked! She's a redhead too, so we had a good laugh about it when I met her at another college friend's wedding.
  • SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Doesn't matter- don't change your dress if you love it!

Your accessories, hair and make up will be different, so you will both look different in the dress. If you want, change the sash (that's easy enough).
  • I never understood the made up drama of "we're wearing the same dress.  The sky will fall. Dogs and cats living together". You both have the same style and taste. Who cares? Have fun with it. 

• Unless you are basically twins (same height, weight, body type, skin color and hair color) I doubt anyone other than the two of you would notice that the dress is the same because you will fill it out differently and look different in it because it's not like you'll be standing next to each other in your dresses. 

If it bothers you just accessorize it differently from your friend. 
  • I don't think the OP is being ridiculous.  For whatever stupid reason, not wearing the same dress as someone else (to a party, for your wedding, etc.) is A Thing in American culture.  That societal phenomenon is what is ridiculous, not the OP herself.

With that said--unless this is a double wedding where you are literally standing next to each other, or you both happened to pick the same outlandish, off-the-wall, bizarre gown...nobody is going to notice that you have the same dress. The details of your dress may be important to you, but the vast majority of your guests are only going to see "white dress."  Maybe "giant, poofy white dress" or "slinky, low-cut white dress," but your standard-issue David's Bridal sort of dress is unlikely to be remembered once you are out of the room.  Guests will remember how you looked in it, but nobody is going to remember the beading patterns or the hemline.
  • Two women I went to HS with unintentionally wore the same dress a few years ago. One was married in May and the other one in August. Yes, I noticed they wore the same dress but I also realized that one wasn't copying the other, and that this more than likely happened because their dress was stylish and beautiful. I think most people will get that. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• edited June 2016
    I don't think that you are being ridiculous, especially since your guest lists will overlap and your wedding is the one that comes second. I am a big believer that accessories in general can change up most any outfit. That being said, would you mind posting a pic of the dress to see if it's even possible for accessories to change the dress enough to differentiate it from your friend's?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards