Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Favorite Candies

Trying to plan out a good assortment of different candies to make available for guests at the candy bar we are having as a favor. There will be small clear plastic bags for each guest to fill up with their favorites. What tickles your sweet tooth that could be easily scooped from a bowl?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Favorite Candies

• M&Ms/Smarties, kisses, chocolate/yogurt covered raisins/peanuts/almonds/craisins/pretzels, Rolo candy, mini chocolate bars, Cadbury Rosettes, coconut chocolate candy (can't remember what these are called), mini Reese candy
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    When I do candy buffets for parties, I like a mix of chocolate and sweet/sour treats.  Mini-snickers, M&M's, Sour Patch Kids, little boxes of Nerds, Hershey's kisses, Reese's mini PB cups, and laffy taffy seem to be the most popular.  Some of the candy needs to be scooped and other kinds are wrapped so guests can just grab with their hands.  What a fun idea - I envy your guests :)
  • What ernursej said plus...

Gummy bears, sweet tarts, butter mints, lemon drops, gobstoppers/jawbreakers, mini licorice, caramel cremes (creams?).  
    Anniversary

• MobKazMobKaz member
    I know I am probably in the minority, but I love licorice.
  • ernursej said:
    eileenrob said:
    When I do candy buffets for parties, I like a mix of chocolate and sweet/sour treats.  Mini-snickers, M&M's, Sour Patch Kids, little boxes of Nerds, Hershey's kisses, Reese's mini PB cups, and laffy taffy seem to be the most popular.  Some of the candy needs to be scooped and other kinds are wrapped so guests can just grab with their hands.  What a fun idea - I envy your guests :)

Even if the candy is wrapped, I would always encourage a scoop/spoon or something to let guests deposit the candy into their bags. Lots of people have gross hygiene habits and using a scoop/spoon decreases the contamination.
    This!!!!  And exactly why I MUCH prefer individual packs to grab...
  • Anything gummy! Swedish Fish in particular.

• SP29SP29 member
    Sour keys! And sour patch kids!

Swedish Fish, Hot Lips, Coke Bottles, Swedish Berries, Fuzzy Peaches.

Anything chocolate- Hershey's kisses, mini chocolate bars, anything Cadbury.

M&Ms, Reese Pieces, Smarties.

Rock candy (the type on the stick). I don't know what they're called, but these hard candy/suckers that are stripped in different flavours, shaped in a long cylinder and they come wrapped.

While I love any sort of nut covered in chocolate, I'd stay away from nuts unless you are labeling everything.

Scoops and tongs are easily gotten at the dollar store.
  • MobKaz said:
    I know I am probably in the minority, but I love licorice.
    Me too, especially Australian-style soft licorice.

Skittles (just make sure you label them to distinguish between Skittles and M and Ms or Reese's Pieces).
  • They're pricier, but those Hershey's Nuggets--there's three or four flavors I think, but my favorite is the toffee almond!  I also love sour gummy worms, but worms may not work well at a candy buffet, especially one at a wedding ("what'd you get at tigerlily6's wedding?" "worms."  "um...").  

Definitely label the M&Ms/Skittles.  Especially if you have special-colored ones (like the American mix that's in the US now--I think the M&Ms and Skittles are the same colors!).  H and I love the crispy M&Ms!  

Do you have one of those candy stores in your area with the big bins?  That would be a fun way to get different types of candy that people will like but don't get to see every day.  A locally-owned store may also be willing to give you a discount if you buy so many lbs of candy from them (never done that before, but it's worth a shot to ask).  

Remind me where you're from?  Here in Maine, we can get candy-coated chocolates that look like seashells, gummy lobsters, and maple-flavored candy (it's not pure maple sugar, so it's affordable).  Maybe look for a regional candy along with the old favorites?  
  • missfrodo said:
    They're pricier, but those Hershey's Nuggets--there's three or four flavors I think, but my favorite is the toffee almond!  I also love sour gummy worms, but worms may not work well at a candy buffet, especially one at a wedding ("what'd you get at tigerlily6's wedding?" "worms."  "um...").  

Definitely label the M&Ms/Skittles.  Especially if you have special-colored ones (like the American mix that's in the US now--I think the M&Ms and Skittles are the same colors!).  H and I love the crispy M&Ms!  

Do you have one of those candy stores in your area with the big bins?  That would be a fun way to get different types of candy that people will like but don't get to see every day.  A locally-owned store may also be willing to give you a discount if you buy so many lbs of candy from them (never done that before, but it's worth a shot to ask).  

Remind me where you're from?  Here in Maine, we can get candy-coated chocolates that look like seashells, gummy lobsters, and maple-flavored candy (it's not pure maple sugar, so it's affordable).  Maybe look for a regional candy along with the old favorites?  
    Definitely second going to the bulk candy stores if you have them. We have one here, and they have a fantastic selection.
  • All of the above :)

• missfrodo said:
    They're pricier, but those Hershey's Nuggets--there's three or four flavors I think, but my favorite is the toffee almond!  I also love sour gummy worms, but worms may not work well at a candy buffet, especially one at a wedding ("what'd you get at tigerlily6's wedding?" "worms."  "um...").  

Hahaha, I like the worm comment! My brother suggested those giant gummy tarantulas, which I declined for similar reasons (also, a bunch of those would be pricey!).

I'm in Southern Indiana, and while there are a few local cuisine favs, I'm not sure about any particular candy. However, I'm working in a town this summer that has multiple candy shops with the big bins, and one that specializes in saltwater taffy. I am thinking of loading up on some of that. It may be messy, but it is pretty delicious. And it's pre-wrapped. 

M&Ms and Skittles are definitely on the list, and I appreciate the thoughtfulness of labeling! I will make sure to do that. 

• missfrodo said:

Hahaha, I like the worm comment! My brother suggested those giant gummy tarantulas, which I declined for similar reasons (also, a bunch of those would be pricey!).

I'm in Southern Indiana, and while there are a few local cuisine favs, I'm not sure about any particular candy. However, I'm working in a town this summer that has multiple candy shops with the big bins, and one that specializes in saltwater taffy. I am thinking of loading up on some of that. It may be messy, but it is pretty delicious. And it's pre-wrapped. 

M&Ms and Skittles are definitely on the list, and I appreciate the thoughtfulness of labeling! I will make sure to do that. 

Yum! I love saltwater taffy.
  • missfrodo said:

I'm from Indianapolis. At DD's wedding we had caramels that are made in Hagerstown (there is a satellite shop in Indy). If you don't know the ones I'm talking about, message me and I'll give  you their name. They were a huge hit.
  • missfrodo said:

I'm from Indianapolis. At DD's wedding we had caramels that are made in Hagerstown (there is a satellite shop in Indy). If you don't know the ones I'm talking about, message me and I'll give  you their name. They were a huge hit.
    Oh yeah! I know Hagerstown! I drive by it regularly on I-70 when I visit my relatives in Ohio. I have stopped for lunch there before but didn't know about the candy until just now -- googled it and looks pretty great. Thanks for the tip!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards