Chit Chat

Random Thoughts That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

124»

Re: Random Thoughts That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

• edited June 2016
    kvruns said:
    In case any of you were wondering, Chili Nut M & Ms are no bueno. They taste like regular peanut M & Ms at first, but then the heat sneaks up on you. It's not a good kind of spicy, either, just hot. I predict heartburn in my future.

The Crispy S'more M & Ms are fantastic, though.
    we tried all 3 of the new flavors -- minus this crispy Smore thing I've not heard of it?? - the chili, honey, and coffee and hated them all. There is still an unopened back of the honey ones in the cabinet which says a lot because we are candy fiends.
    If you still have any coffee ones kicking around, you can share them with me. My absolute favorite candy is Coffee Crisp bars, and I see them here maybe once every few years. Pretty much any combination of chocolate and coffee is fine by me.
  • I finally broke down and borrowed 50 Shades of Grey from the library. I'm thinking of taking a drink every time the author wrote "murmured." 
    STB

You want to good smut, go pick up Kushiels Dart.  Sexy stuff and VERY well written. 
    My inner goddess is clapping her hands in anticipation of sexy, well-written stuff. 
    And! AND kickass strong female characters 

• kvruns said:
    In case any of you were wondering, Chili Nut M & Ms are no bueno. They taste like regular peanut M & Ms at first, but then the heat sneaks up on you. It's not a good kind of spicy, either, just hot. I predict heartburn in my future.

The Crispy S'more M & Ms are fantastic, though.
    we tried all 3 of the new flavors -- minus this crispy Smore thing I've not heard of it?? - the chili, honey, and coffee and hated them all. There is still an unopened back of the honey ones in the cabinet which says a lot because we are candy fiends.
    If you still have any coffee ones kicking around, you can share them with me. My absolute favorite candy is Coffee Crisp bars, and I see them here maybe once every few years. Pretty much any combination of chocolate and coffee is fine by me.

Plenty of Coffee Crisp up in Canada. My Dad used to be the western Canada rep for Cadbury ... I believe that my love for coffee came through the coffee crisp he used to let me have!
  • I finally broke down and borrowed 50 Shades of Grey from the library. I'm thinking of taking a drink every time the author wrote "murmured." 
    STB

You want to good smut, go pick up Kushiels Dart.  Sexy stuff and VERY well written. 
    Now on my 'to read' list!

• I play drinking games all the time when I read. Mostly because I'm dumb, and I never learn, and I always end up getting those free Kindle books off of Amazon. And, with the exception of two I've read, the ones I get are always terrible. Usually, I take a drink when I see the word "nod." I never noticed how much people nod their heads in poorly edited text. I do a double shot when I see an author get "clever" and do something like make their characters "wag [their] heads back and forth." That book was a doozy.
    I get the free Kindle books, usually when I am bored and can't find anything better to read, and I must say: There is a reason most of them are free... With the exception of a few YA books, the writing and editing is generally poor.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I play drinking games all the time when I read. Mostly because I'm dumb, and I never learn, and I always end up getting those free Kindle books off of Amazon. And, with the exception of two I've read, the ones I get are always terrible. Usually, I take a drink when I see the word "nod." I never noticed how much people nod their heads in poorly edited text. I do a double shot when I see an author get "clever" and do something like make their characters "wag [their] heads back and forth." That book was a doozy.
    I get the free Kindle books, usually when I am bored and can't find anything better to read, and I must say: There is a reason most of them are free... With the exception of a few YA books, the writing and editing is generally poor.
    Yes, absolutely, on both counts.  And in a lot of cases, I lay more of the blame on the editors.  For instance, I got a Kindle first once , and not only could the author not do math (a 35yo woman cannot have a 15yo daughter if, as the author claims, the child was conceived as a product of a marriage that happened when the mother was 21...), but she also seemed to think women need weekly Brazilians...  How do editors miss shit like this???  ISN'T THIS THEIR JOB??  The writing wasn't completely terrible (just mostly), but those were just two of many glaring issues an editor should have picked up on.

After one book had the phrases "pineapple sunshine" and "the thunderstorm amputated the electricity," I started reading the 1-star reviews.  

Not all of them are bad, but a very high percentage of the ones I have read are unreadable.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

I get Bookbub e-mails for free/really cheap books and I'd say I have a 50/50 rate of being good/un-readable. I'm really picky though and tend to read the bad reviews before I'll give one a shot. If I see that someone mentions spelling errors or a lot of errors in general I won't download it. I've even found 1 author I'm a huge fan of now, Jeremy Bates. He writes horror so while it might not be the most sophisticated writing the 3 books I've read from him have kept me quite entertained.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards