Just Engaged and Proposals

Wedding Ring clarifications

Hello,

We are engaged. The marriage is in November. We have so much to plan. I have a couple questions about the wedding ring.

I'm going to buy a diamond ring. My budget is max $3k. How can I know which diamond is better. Is s12 clarity considered bad? What is the optimum carat for a good diamond ring.

I also want to know which type of ring cut will be best for the occasion. I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you all.

Re: Wedding Ring clarifications

• bleve0821bleve0821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2016
    Congratulations on your engagement!! 

If you're going to buy a diamond, my advice is to go to a jeweler and look at all cuts, sizes, clarity, and ranges of color, and speak to an expert. Two diamonds that look the same on paper may look completely different in real life. Just because you walk into a place doesn't mean you HAVE to buy a diamond from them. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand (e.g., this diamond has the same clarity as that one, but this one looks more sparkly... Why is that?). Knowledge is power, the more you have, the more you'll be able to steer the conversation when you are ready to buy. Always ask to see the diamond certificate before you buy, as well. Also keep in mind that you will have to buy a band, as well, and depending on the metal and style you want, that will cost some money, so make sure your budget includes the cost of the band. Platinum and palladium are very expensive, but they're much stronger than gold.

That being said... SI means slightly included. Depending on the type of inclusion within the diamond, if you look at it with rhe naked eye, you may see some flaws. There is nothing wrong with a diamond rated SI. My grandmother's diamond is SI-1, and it has a dark occlusion off-center that looks like a praying mantis when you look at it from the top. A diamond that is SI1-2 will, in many cases, have less sparkle than a diamond that is VS-2 (lower end of very slightly included). With GM's diamond, the occlusion does not impact the sparkle or shine of the stone at all, as it's the only inclusion and it's not near a critical facet. That inclusion meant she got a bigger diamond. Higher or lower clarities do not guarantee a more sparkly diamond, though, because a lot also depends on:

--Shape (round, princess, emerald, etc.)
    --Cut (primarily for round, the closer to ideal it is, the more light it will reflect, and regardless of the clarity, the sparklier it will appear)
    --Color (a range from colorless, H to I or better, to fully colored, starting around J, which will appear slightly yellow)

Of course, the type of flaw and it's location in the stone also matters.  Round cut stones are more forgiving with inclusions than, say, emerald cut because round diamonds have many more facets. I am classic, so I prefer round. If you're looking at emerald cuts, you will want a higher clarity. The better the clarity and color, the more it will cost, and the smaller you'll be able to afford on that budget.

The size is entirely up to you. The bigger the diamond, the more it will cost, and you'll have to decide what's more important to you, size, or clarity/cut/color.

For color, my GM's diamond is rated as an H-I (depends on the jeweler), which means it's near colorless/slightly colored. It looks pretty freaking colorless to me. I don't, personally, think it's worth the cost to get a diamond with a color rating of better than H. I can't tell the difference, but I am by no means an expert.

Sorry for the lecture.  I hope this helps a little, and that you are able to get some insight from a non-jeweler.  Like I said before, I strongly encourage you to go shopping for a diamond in a store and seeing the difference for yourself between stones rated SI-1, SI-2, VS-2, etc.

Good luck, and congrats again!

Edited because TK did not publish the correct draft.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• Cut is the most important aspect of diamonds. If the stone is cut too deep or too shallow the light leaks out instead of bouncing around inside. 
    Color is funny because if you get a diamond that has a yellow hue, if you put it in yellow gold you can't tell that it's yellow.
    Clarity is one of those things that you can definitely get by with a lower quality depending on what and where the inclusion is. If it's got a big feather in the center, BFD. If it's got a little spot of coal on the side that can be covered with a prong, not biggie.
    Carat is all personal choice, but remember the better the quality cut, color, and clarity, the smaller carat you'll be able to choose for your budget. You can also save some by not getting a true carat (if you're looking for a full carat). A shy carat can save you a little. I personally choose smaller, more perfect diamonds over bigger more included ones. 
  • I agree with everything PPs said, especially about going into a jeweler to talk to them, ask questions, and look at rings. Two diamonds with the same clarity rating can look drastically different depending on the cut. For example, a brilliant round with an SI2 rating may not have any obvious inclusions upon first glance, whereas in a SI2 cushion cut the inclusion(s) may be very obvious.

Size is definitely a personal preference, but the larger you go, the higher the per-carat cost (meaning, a 1 ct SI2 clarity, J-colored diamond costs more than twice what a 1/2 ct SI2 clarity, J-colored diamond costs - it's not proportional). Some people choose to get a smaller, higher quality diamond, whereas others will choose a larger, slightly lower quality diamond.

Go in and try a bunch on, and see what suits you. As long as you love it, I would not worry too much about the specifications.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited June 2016
    Thank you very much for all the support.

Now, I have a brief idea about diamonds. As you said, I think, I'd better see a good diamond jeweler. We know a nice jeweler by the name Phera Diamonds. (http://www.pheradiamonds.com/) So, I could get the most suited one for my dearest. And they would be able to get the right cut and design for her character and appearance, don't they?
  • Thank you very much for all the support.

Now, I have a brief idea about diamonds. As you said, I think, I'd better see agood diamond jeweler. We have a nice name by the name Phera Diamonds. (http://www.pheradiamonds.com/) So, I could get the most suited one for my dearest. And they would be able to get the right cut and design for her character and appearance, don't they?
    Posting a link to the jeweler smells like vendor to me. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieCake said:
    Thank you very much for all the support.

Now, I have a brief idea about diamonds. As you said, I think, I'd better see agood diamond jeweler. We have a nice name by the name Phera Diamonds. (http://www.pheradiamonds.com/) So, I could get the most suited one for my dearest. And they would be able to get the right cut and design for her character and appearance, don't they?
    Posting a link to the jeweler smells like vendor to me. 
    Wow, OP is a sneaky vendor, waiting for their second post to promote themselves! 

But yes, smells like a vendor to me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah, I feel sucker punched.

"And when they use our atoms to make new lives, they won’t just be able to take one, they’ll have to take two, one of you and one of me..."
    --Philip Pullman

• SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    And they would be able to get the right cut and design for her character and appearance, don't they?
    You'll have to ask and see what they offer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards